1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What sketches scared you as a kid?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Jennifer, May 12, 2002.

1. mikebennidict New Member

It was defenitly an I.
  2. clutch123 New Member

Thanks for helping me with that information.

For whatever reason, when the sketch ended, the "I" looked like it was tipped on it's side - looking more like an "H" as appossed to an "I".
  3. mikebennidict New Member

Kind of what an I looks like sideways, same thing with an H though I thought it was more like an I.
  4. Muppet dude Active Member

It's a good thing I never saw the I-Beam skit when I was little. It had a Nightmare scare factor! The dark setting, red-hot I beam and that dramatic music score (that sounds like something that would accompany a war movie!), not to mention that video freeze at the end as a drumroll is heard right before the final note. That part reminds me of how some scary production logos were like back in the 1970s and early 1980s. When I first saw it (early this year on YouTube and SesameStreet.org, actually) I did get a bit unnerved by the drumroll bit, thinking something loud and dramatic was sure follow. And get this: they listed the I-Beam skit in the "Science and Technology" category on SesameStreet.org instead of the letters/alphabet categories!

I also heard people talking about how the skit sometimes ended with a deep menacing voice saying "I!" once the music ended. Is this really true? The versions on YouTube and SesameStreet.org don't do that. I think a deep menacing "I!" just increases the scare factor and REALLY gives one something to worry about when the video freeze comes up.

BTW, now why hasn't "Fear Factor" ever done an episode during its run involving the contestants watching scary Sesame Street segments in a continuous loop?
  5. RugbyCutie New Member

Hmm...the only thing I can particularly recall would be the "Ten Commandments of Health" song. I don't remember if I ever saw the actual sketch, but as a toddler I had a cassette tape that included it and the voices always freaked me out. Somehow I came to like it a few years later, and it helped me remember to cover my mouth when sneezing and such.

Oh, and I may have felt a little nervous during the Cecille claymation sketches as well, but I remember learning to like her too. Her song "I'm Gonna Get to You" was my favorite, I think. ^^;
  6. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Okay... I can't remember if this one scared me per se.... but &NR=1 with it's evil sounding music and evil sounding voice actor had to make one of us jump out of our skins...

It's a freaking bus stop! You don't have to get that dark trying to get your point across. :shifty:
  7. HootsytheOwl Member

The Other Scary Letter "I"

Hi all...I think the only clip that ever really bugged me as a kid was a cartoon short about a letter I. The one where a dot is trying to turn a rude, loudmouth capital I into a calm, lowercase I. Every time the capital letter would shout "I!", it gave me the heebie-jeebies. I'm so glad the dot won out though. A lot of Sesame Street is like that, with multiple lessons. That cute little dot didn't want to let that mean old Capital I bully him! :)

Your friend,
    Kitt
  8. PurpleHonker New Member

I am also very embarrassed to say this was the scariest skit to me as a child, and it still kinda gets me when watching it 20+ years later! I had such a hard time when Bert wouldn't believe Ernie.

I was also rather unsettled when Sinister Sam would come to the saloon... "Was it YOU that bought the last box of crayons?"

Lastly, I was somewhat afraid of the Count's home. Not him, just when they showed him IN his home. That's probably not normal... :coy:
  9. MangoMoon New Member

Not Sesame, but...

Death in the StoryTeller's Soldier and Death. he scared and fascinated me. I to look for him in cups. Also the 'God' in that episode who told the soldier that he was not allowed into heaven. :sympathy:

DIGIT from the Jim Henson Hour--scared the bejebus out of me.

In a christmas story (I don't know if that was what it was called) There was a mouse toy that "stoped"

Also Bootsie's boyfriend could be a bit uncanny at times.

Oh yeah, and when Oscar goes flying down like 5 flights of stairs in the Sesame christmas movie.
  10. Drtooth Well-Known Member

What's to be afraid of? he enjoyed it! :grouchy:
  11. CountFan1998 Active Member

I know these two are NOT Sesame Street but I was (or yet, still am) afraid of:

TMS: Hugga Wugga. The eyes on Hugga are horrifying!

PS (Plaza Sesamo): I don't know what to call it, the animated bit where Abelardo, Pancho and Lola are gathered around a machine. Abelardo pulls a lever, a buzzer sounds and on comes a number on the screen. Lola does the same, while a different number appears, but the next time Pancho breaks the lever and the machine breaks with different colored cracks in the screen while Pancho is confused with why it broke. Abelardo waves and the gang leaves.
  12. clutch123 New Member

One sketch, or maybe there was more that is:

With the muppet "Don Music". For years, I have always wanted to play the piano, but after seeing Mr. Music hit his head on the piano keys each and everytime he made a mistake, with fustration, I changed my mind. I haven't touched a piano since then.

It not be scary to you, but it certainly was scary to me!
  13. Frackles New Member

The song with the shark singing about his "bright white teeth", he had this AWFUL gravelly voice that grated and growled, that terrified me as a kid.
  14. dwmckim Well-Known Member

Had the opposite effect on me; made me want to play the piano all the more (Don Music style of course!)

I remember playing either a toy piano or real one as a kid hitting several keys at a time. Someone would inevitably tell me "no no, you just hit one key at a time" to which my response would be "That's not how Little Chrissy does it!"
  15. Gelfling Girl Active Member

LOL, me too.

I'm not sure whether this really "scared" me, but I really never was fond at all of Suzie Kabloozie. :p
  16. That's Mew from The Christmas Toy.
  17. sweetpig New Member

The animated "crack in the wall". Hands down. Creepy.
  18. Drtooth Well-Known Member

The original Sclrap a Flyapp (which is essentially an earlier version of Hugga Wugga) probably woulda killed you. It's much scarierer and one of the character's eye LIGHT UP! Creeps me out a little now.

Ah yes. Pearl White Teeth sung by Brain Meehl. Yeah, I'm probably the only one who saw it when I was a youngster and laughed like an idiot. Seemed to scare everyone else.
  19. HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

While searching YouTube for classic Sesame Street clips (particularly those from the '70s), I recently came across one that I had completely forgotten about that scared me: The Ten Commandments of Health. I could listen to the song on my Sesame Street cassette tape, but to watch the Muppets actually performing it creeped me out.
  20. Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

I have these tapes of Sesame Street Songs and sketches. There was this one where Cookie Monster goes on a journey to find everlasting joy and happiness. Along the way he runs into a fire breathing dragon, comes across the house of an evil wizard, a castle owned by an ogre and a cave where a witch lives with her army of gnomes goblins and six-footed bumble thunderbeasts. The witch and her army then proceed to chase cookie all over the place. It was quite a frightening experience, especcially since I would listen to it while falling asleep.