What's your favorite Grover sketch?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Another very funny Grover one had him with John John. A lot of people recall the hilarious segment with John John and Herry Monster where Jon Jon suddenly starts shouting the numbers at #14. There was a counting one with Grover that was likewise uproarious. Grover asks John John if he can count to 10. John John says he can count backwards. Grover is impressed and asks if he will do that. So John John starts counting, but counts FORWARDS! When he gets up to 5 Grover interrupts and says, "Uh John John". John John says (adorably), "What?" Grover tells him that's not counting backwards. So Grover shows him by counting down from 10. When Grover gets to 5 he pauses, trying to think what the next number is. I really love this next part:

John John: "Four."
Grover: "Four. Thank you." (Continues to contemplate)
John John: "Free." (Love how many little kids say three like that!)
Grover: "Three three."
John John: "Two."
Grover: "Two."
Then they both pause.
Grover: "What number comes next?"
John John keeps thinking hard, "Uh..ah..."
Grover comes closer and whispers, "What is it?"
But John John is still stumped.
So Grover suddenly remembers the answer.
Grover: "One!"
John John in a sidesplittingly funny and adorable way happily screams out, "Yeeeeahhh one! Yayyyyy!!!"

A fantastic Grover segment, largely because of the classic SS child John John.

Censored

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
One of the funniest Grover moments for me was the waiter one where Fat Blue kept changing his mind on his order (first he wanted 2 strips of bacon and 2 eggs, then 3 strips of bacon and 1 egg). When Grover brought this food to him, he smiles and says, "Uh, you might think this is gonna sound funny but ... I changed my mind again!" And Grover (quite perturbed by now) says, "Oh I do not think that sounds funny at all." I love the way Frank Oz said that! (as well as the way Jerry Nelson said the preceding line! )
Of course at the end, when the customer changes his mind yet again and wants lunch ("Two hot dogs and two pickles") Grover loses it in the kitchen as we hear him screaming to Charlie and breaking dishes. A great skit, as so many Grover ones are.
Yes, that was one of the early ones where Fat Blue was the antagonist and Grover the victim, later of course, they would change roles. I actually think the earlier ones like this were funnier and more in keeping with Grover's character as the fall guy.

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
the waiter sketches with fat blue are funny, as is the one on the "bedtime stories and songs" video where grover is under the covers pretending to be on the moon...anyone remember that?
~Dana~

Ziffel

Reaction score
Remember a sketch with Grover and 2 anything muppets? The screen was kind of wavy around the edges and there was like a slow rhythmic clapping sound effect. This blue muppet (looked a lot like Simon Soundman) comes up the screen and starts going, "bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom BOM... bom bom bom bom." As he continues this, Grover appears on the screen and starts going something like, "Scap bap bapbapbapbapbap" while dancing around the screen. Then a lady muppet joins those two and starts going something like, "Sweet beat beeeeeeeee" ( I might be a little off on some of these words but trying to describe the sounds as best as I remember). So all 3 are doing these sounds with the clapping sound effect continuing too. Then the blue muppet exits the screen. Shortly after Grover exits. The lady is alone going "Sweet beat beeeeeee" and then she finishes with, "bee bee bee beeeeeeeeee!" Then the slow clapping becomes regular speed clapping and the sketch ends.

Dantecat

Reaction score
Oh I know what you're exactly talking about.And I do remember this skit where him and 2 anything muppets sing out different sounds.I have not seen this since a while ago.By the way,What year was that skit?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not very good at exact years of skits. I never saw any Noggin Unpaved shows. It was definitely shown by 1975. And I don't think I saw this in my very early SS days (1969-1972) so I would estimate that the skit is from 1973,1974, or 1975.

Convincing John

Reaction score
I think this photo might help. Grover wasn't in this sketch...well, until it was re-used on Play With Me Sesame. Here's a link to the photo:

http://mfiles.scarecroe.com/clapscat.jpg

I thought there was an audio of the clip somewhere too, but I can't find it right now. But I'll tell you what I remember:

The middle row of AM's with Rossevelt Franklin are seen clapping at the beginning of the sketch. Mr. Johnson (Fat Blue) walks in, sees them and starts his own scat: "Clap, clap, clap...clap, clap, clap, clappity clap clap clap."

Prairie Dawn enters and sings "Beep beep...beepabeepabeep...beep beep...beepabeepabeep...."

Roosevelt's mom, (upper left enters and claps). The purple AM next to Prairie enters and goes "boom shika boom shika boom shika boom..."

The lady in the fur coat enters and sings "la, la la, la" (Frank Oz does the voice). Then the little boy at the bottom and Farley enter, but it's hard to make out what their scats are. Finally, the pointy headed green man with the mustache (voiced by Jim Henson) enters and scats "Baaaabadabadap! Baaa....dadap! Baa...da dee dee dee dee!"

The AMs now are all scatting and clapping and it ends with a bunch of them going "bee boop doop" clap clap! Then they laugh and begin to scatter off the screen. Roosevelt stays behind and bows several times to the camera as the AMs scurry around.

Convincing John

Ziffel

Reaction score
Ah yeah I remember this one too. Same type of skit with more muppet participants. The one with Grover and the two anything muppets had a kind of cool moving waviness all around the edges of the screen throughout. Also, thanks for those photos, Convincing John. Always a pleasure to see 70's SS pics.

Convincing John

Reaction score
There was another scat clip like that with Grover, eh? Wavy lines around the edges of the screen...hmm...wish I could help you out there with a photo, but I can't recall the clip.

Convincing John