What's your favorite letter segment?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Oops! I just typed a whole bunch here and then lost it all because I accidentally hit the escape key! :mad:
Yes I remember both of those animated v sketches, Sesame Mike. Like you, I don't quite remember every v word that was used in them. A couple of them I just couldn't ever make out what they were saying. Could have been because they were not clearly pronounced, or because as a child they were words I didn't yet know. Probably the latter. In the first sketch, the word before the word Victory at the end sounded kind of like vigilante. But that would seem like a somewhat unlikely choice for a kid's show. In the second sketch I remember the last line being, "Vitamin!" V." The word before that sounded sort of like, "Vutamen", which isn't what it was, obviously, since there is no such word.
Another animated v sketch that mikebennidict referred to on a previous post had two men standing on opposite ends of a big letter v and talking. I forgot a lot of the specifics in this one too, but recall the last few lines. I think one guy made a letter v with two fingers and then scratched his ear. The other guy said, "You shouldn't put anything in your ear, you could damage your hearing." He responds with, "What?" Then the other guy says, "Can you think of ten words that begin with the letter v? " He replies, "Yes I can." The other guy says, "Good." I liked this last bit. It was amusing since he said yes but didn't then name any v words. Anyone can SAY they can do something! It was also educational because I remember wanting to see if I could think of ten words that start with v. For a small child it isn't quite as easy as it seems.
One more animated v sketch I also recall only some of had a voice say, "v v v v v v v vavoom! Small v." I think he said this twice in the sketch. And I think at one point the v was played like a violin.
Well, I've been Very long here so I think it's time to Vamoose!

SesameMike

Reaction score
On that giant capital V, one of them explained that you can make a V with two fingers (makes a peace sign). The other demonstrates how with one finger you can make something to scratch out your ear. When I first saw this, I thought he said "You shouldn't put anything in your ear, it can damage your earring!" And of course the "What?" gag went over my head in that case.

The part where he asked if he could name 10 words beginning with V reminds me of a scene from one of the Pink Panther movies. The inspector was in an unfamiliar town, and he asked someone walking by "Do you know how to get to such-and-such address?" The man answered "Yes." and continued walking. Again, he did ask if he knew, not how to get there!

The sketch ended with a shot of the V from a distance, with the two men still standing atop each end.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes he did do a good job. Brought back some things of that segment I had forgotten, like one of the guy's name being Virgil Veep. It'll be so great if these vintage SS clips come back to television sometime, but going through these like this and recalling the sights and sounds is a lot of fun too.

Soul H

Reaction score
I remember them both. The first one had the words Venus, Violin, Valentine, Violets, Vanish, Viking on a Voyage on a boat we sail away, Vulture, Volcano, Vegetables, Vine, Vampire, Villian, Vigilantes and finished with Victory.

As for the second sketch, after the voice said vitamin the second time, he just said "V" and the sketch ended.

SesameMike said:
Does anyone remember these two animated sketches about the letter V?

V
The first one had a low key guy walking through what was supposed to be a museum. He walks past a de Milo statue and says
Venus
He keeps walking and sees a man playing a...
Violin
Two measures of fiddle music at most is played. Somehow that morphs into a heart shape.
Valentine
The heart morphs into a
Vampire! (much louder creepier voice)
Doesn't exactly turn into a bat, but rather a
Vulture (deep voice)
Said bird flies away, towards a mountain, which promptly shakes then erupts
Volcano! (even deeper voice)
But instead of lava or volcanic ash, this particular geologic anomaly spews out
Vegetables? Vegetables. (casual voice. They repeated it, since this phenomenon was too peculiar for even a surreal animation. IMHO suspension of disbelief only goes so far.)
In any case, a single bean leaps out of the volcanic cornucopia and promptly sprouts into a
Vine.
[I don't remember what came next, and I likely forgot some of the other words, but it all ended up as]
Victory! (A "poof" sound, followed by cheers and cheery music. The visual had the letter beaming rays)
V

Animation two. This one was narrated by an older man.

"V. Vitamins. You forgot to take your vitamins."

The letter "swallows" a bunch of pills down its center. The V promptly starts flexing its muscles, as if given a shot of steroids. Upbeat music plays.

"Vitality"

The letter starts sailing to the right against a psychedelic background.

"Vim"

The letter then hops up, over, and down a small stairway, as if on an obstacle course.

"Vigor"

I forgot what came next, but I think it just ended with a plain "V", as in most letter sketches.

mikealan

Reaction score
SesameMike said:

V
The first one had a low key guy walking through what was supposed to be a museum. He walks past a de Milo statue and says
Venus
Violin
Two measures of fiddle music at most is played. Somehow that morphs into a heart shape.
Valentine
The heart morphs into a
Vulture (deep voice)
Vegetables? Vegetables. (casual voice. They repeated it, since this phenomenon was too peculiar for even a surreal animation. IMHO suspension of disbelief only goes so far.)
In any case, a single bean leaps out of the volcanic cornucopia and promptly sprouts into a
Vine.
[I don't remember what came next, and I likely forgot some of the other words, but it all ended up as]
Victory! (A "poof" sound, followed by cheers and cheery music. The visual had the letter beaming rays)
V

Animation two. This one was narrated by an older man.

"V. Vitamins. You forgot to take your vitamins."

The letter "swallows" a bunch of pills down its center. The V promptly starts flexing its muscles, as if given a shot of steroids. Upbeat music plays.

"Vitality"

The letter starts sailing to the right against a psychedelic background.

"Vim"

The letter then hops up, over, and down a small stairway, as if on an obstacle course.

"Vigor"

I forgot what came next, but I think it just ended with a plain "V", as in most letter sketches.
I think the first 'V' one you're talking about is on some Season 25 episode when I saw part of it as a little kid and I think it was sponsored by ?-V-9.

But I remember that 'V For Vitamins' very well. I know that it was used on Unpaved#1740, Regular SS#2795 and on my SS compilation from the final weeks of Season 23 (1991-92).

ssetta

Reaction score
mikealan said:
I think the first 'V' one you're talking about is on some Season 25 episode when I saw part of it as a little kid and I think it was sponsored by ?-V-9.

But I remember that 'V For Vitamins' very well. I know that it was used on Unpaved#1740, Regular SS#2795 and on my SS compilation from the final weeks of Season 23 (1991-92).
I think the word SesameMike is forgetting is Vigilante.

mikealan

Reaction score
SesameMike said:

V
Venus
Violin
Valentine
The heart morphs into a
Vulture (deep voice)
Vine.
V
SesameMike, I think one of the words you're forgetting is 'Viking'.

Censored

Reaction score
I love that V skit! That's when Sesame Street really had an edge. Can you see them making or even showing a cartoon about vigilantes defeating vampires these days? Not VERY likely.