1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What's your favorite letter segment?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by The Count, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Rosewood

Rosewood New Member

Airplane letter writer

Yes! Iremember it, too! They called the guy "Alphabet Bates"! :)
  2. Rosewood

Rosewood New Member

Ones forgotten

O.K. guys! I've eyeballed this entire thread and heres a couple I havn't heard mentiond yet:

Y for the "Yellow Yahoo". ("He dreams about you, the Yellow Yahoo; under the stars and the midnight sky, Under the tree that looks like a Y.)

Muppet segment: (shows a mechanic in a garage, pumping up a letter O) and a lady comes in with a letter J that wont "Jump". Mechanic "jumpstarts" it and it starts jumping out of controle, finally crashing through the wall! :)
  3. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

That's neat you bring this one up, Rosewood. I was just thinking about this one a few weeks ago. But I couldn't think of what to search for or what the Y creature was called! I never could tell that they were saying "yellow yahoo". :) I recall it pretty well. "What do you think your mother would do, if you yelled like a yellow yahoo?" Then I think he says, "Boo!"

There was also a brief y one that simply shows a letter Y and the voice offscreen says, "Y. Yawn." And then the letter Y yawns and starts to snore. Some soft music plays and then the voice whispers, "Y."
  4. Rosewood

Rosewood New Member

Lines in full (to the best of my memorie)

Gorilla opens door and comes in. Man at desk says "Hi". Gorilla says "Is this the Gerfner Employment Agency?" Man: "So it is." Gorilla: "Good! I need a job." Man "Well, what can you do?" Gorilla: "Well, I can write." Man: "You can? Gee!" Gorilla: "Certainly! G is one of my best letters. You can tell by the "Gu" sound. Man: "Good!" Gorilla: "Thats right. Good begins with g. (he picks up a piece of chalk and writes "good" on the blackboard)then says "Many other word begin with G; like girl, goat, goose, grape, grease, gum, and...um..um...(at this point he has passed the bottom of the chalkboard and is writing on the wall) and the man says "Gorilla!" The gorilla jumps into the mans arms and yells "Where?!" The man puts him down and explains "Here. Gorilla is also a G word. And you are definately a gorilla." At which the gorilla says "I am? Gosh!! I gotta get out a here!!" and proceeds to leave. The man asks "Where you goin'?" To which the gorilla replies "I Gotta go learn how to run around in the jungle and eat bananas!" and slams the door. To which the man says "Gee". the end. :) Ziffel: check your personal mail; I left another one for you there!
  5. SesameMike

SesameMike Member

D Building

One more point about that "D Building" animation.

There's an error in it that actually bothered me as a kid. As the sequence opens, the two men are on the elevator/girder/letter talking about the building, how it has "everything in the world that begins with D". As they're talking, their already rising, and you can see several floors go by. So they're already a number of stories up when the first of the floors are shown to us. But when they're stuck at the top, and he realizes that they left out the word "down", we see a wide angle of the entire building, complete with a simultaneous vista of every floor we saw earlier. It turns out that the first floor we saw is actually the first floor of the building. What happened to all the floors they passed initially?

Of course, some of you probably want to say to me "Did you know that the word 'pedantic' isn't in the dictionary?"

Other D-words that I hope were not included in the D Building: Dynamite, Demolition, Destruction, Despoil, Dismantle. etc.
  6. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Lots of times the Pink Panther karate chopping the letter k has been brought up at MC. But remember another karate one where the guy says, "K, karate"?
    Then this guy makes "haaaaa" noises as he does a karate chop on something (forgot what it was. a letter k maybe? ) and it shatters. Then when he tries another karate chop he is unsuccessful and hurts his hand. He says, "Owwww oooooh oooh!" Then he says, "K", holds out his hand that is in pain and says, "Kiss?" That's another thing I can't recall from this - was there another person standing there next to him that he wanted to kiss his hand? I think so.
  7. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

By the way, this d song with Ernie and Cookie Monster was also on the Sesame Street record from around '74 or '75 that had a song for each letter. Some of them were not on the tv show also (like Oscar's b sandwich) and some were, like this d one. But boy without seeing the visual you really miss a lot of the fun of this skit, since Cookie Monster doesn't say anything. So for someone who heard this one on the record but never saw it on tv, they had no idea that while Ernie was singing, CM was getting exhausted keeping up. And then when Ernie concludes and the music makes a sound to reflect the exhaustion of CM as he faints, the listener to the album wouldn't have realized what really took place.

Just a little observation. :) And I imagine they selected this d song for the album anyway because it really is a catchy song on its own and includes many d words throughout.
  8. superfan

superfan Active Member

Hi, Ziffel!

I have the album you mention and here are some details (just because I can finally contribute something relevent!) And if you already know about it, than maybe others might like to know.

The Muppet Alphabet Album
    starring Jim Henson's Muppets from Sesame Street

Songs:
    A~ Sound of the Letter A....Big Bird
    B~Oscar's B sandwich....Oscar
    C~C is for Cookie...Cookie Monster
    D~Dee Dee Dee...Ernie
    E~WHat's my Letter...Guy Smiley and Prairie
    F~Four Furry Friends...Grover, Oscar and Cookie Monster
    G~Two G Sounds...Grover and George
    H~Ha Ha...Harvey, Herry and Big Bird
    I~Stand Up Straight and Tall...Grover
    J~J Friends...The Anything Muppets (my favorite song and it skips)
    K~Herb's Silly Poem...Herbert Birdsfoot
    L~La La La...Ernie and Bert
    M~MMM Monster Meal...Herry Monster, Cookie Monster
    N~The Noodle Story...Big Bird, Oscar
    O~Would you Like to Buy an O?...Salesman and Ernie
    P~My Favorite Letter...The Anything Muppets
    Q~The Question Song...Grover, Little Girl
    R~The R Machine...Ernie and Bert
    S~Sammy the Snake...Sammy
    T~The Tale of Tom Tattertall Tuttletut...Herber Birdsfoot, Anything Muppets
    U~Lecture...Professor hastings
    V~The Very Special Letter
    W~The National Association of W Lovers...Bert
    X~X Marks the Spot...Sherlock Hemlock
    Y~Just Because...Grover, Little Girl
    Z~ The Zizzy Zoomers

*PHEW!*
    And it was released 1976, given the copyright date on the back
  9. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Hi there superfan!

Yes that's the record indeed. We moved from Maryland at the end of March 1976 and I know I had this record in Maryland and listened to it quite a bit so I estimated it was from 1974 or 1975. Maybe I got it in January '76 or it was available in late '75 but had the '76 copyright date.

The D song had Cookie Monster too but, as I mentioned, you wouldn't know it from the record alone. In the F song Herry was the fourth monster. In the Q and Y songs Prairie Dawn was the girl with Grover. The Q one was on the tv show too but I don't think the Y one was. In the U lecture by Professor Hastings, Ernie was also in it and kept saying "Up professor!" when he would fall asleep. Big Bird did the V song. Oh and one more small point of interest: Farley speaks a couple of sentences to Oscar at the beginning of the B sandwich song.
  10. superfan

superfan Active Member

All true. Enjoyable album, start to finish! I also picked up over the weekend (at Value Village, second hand store) Oscar's Let a Frown Be Your Umbrella and Sesame Street 25 Greatest Hits. Finding SS records among the stacks always brings a smile to my face.
  11. cookiemark

cookiemark New Member

the lower case n standing on a hill
  12. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

I mentioned this a few months back and don't think I have ever seen anyone else bring it up at the forum. It's a classic, probably from 1969 or 1970. I saw it a number of times through the early 70's and always enjoyed the music, sound effects, and somewhat slow pace of the animated segment. Any fellow SS dinosaurs recollect it?
  13. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

yeah. it was certain funny. it's like he was drumming on the be hive. it seems to be a thing in our society to mess with danger and hear's a good example of that.
  14. bigbird

bigbird New Member

What I liked about this skit is when the kid took the guitar, the guy who playing it was still moving his arms as if he still was still strumming it even though the kid had already taken it.
  15. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

it bugged me when me took the guitar and everything else.don't know why.
  16. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Remember a short one with the word Quiet where the letters u,i,e and t were all talking and laughing boisterously and then the capital Q shouts, "Quiet!" and they all get still and silent? I'm not sure, but maybe the Q was supposed to have been sleeping? And maybe they gave it some eyes or eyebrows to add to that effect? It was animated, so this is one of those segments that could go either in this favorite letter segment or the favortie cartoon segment. :)
  17. missHEFFIE

missHEFFIE New Member

I like the H skits cause my name is HEATHER and as a little girl i thought it was special like OH an H skit yay. i can't remember any in particular :(
  18. Rosewood

Rosewood New Member

Has anyone mentioned this one yet?

Heres one I don't think I have heard mentioned yet:

The "Beep Beep" I song(it seems to be written for the lower-case i)

(A man in a tiny car that goes "Beep Beep!" now and then comes down a road to guitar music, then a voice starts to sing:)

"Some of the word that begin with "i", they get to be quite tricky,
    like "intersection", and "illegal", "irritate" and "ickey"!"
    (Guitar music, "Beep Beep!", guitar music, "Beep Beep!")
    "Many words that begin with "i" are longer than "itchy" and "into",
    There's "impossible!", "incredible!", and "important", too!
    The letter i is quite a pip, I think I'll take him on my trip,
    We"ll have some fun and do a flip! Into my car, away we'll zip!
    I'm glad to be with the letter i, cause' he's so "irresiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiistable!"
    (music, "Beep Beep!", music, "Beep Beep!") :p
  19. Larcen Tyler

Larcen Tyler New Member

The Consonant Sound thing with 'cat' has a special place in my heart. I remember it going like this:

"Black cat!"
    (Shows a black cat grinning on an orange background)

"White cat!"
    (White cat grinning on black background)

"Orange marmalade cat!"
    (Orange cat on orange background with stripes)

"Mouse cat!"
    (Mouse runs by)

"Bird cat!"
    (Bird flies by)

"Chasing ball of string cat!"
    (Cat gets tangled up in string)

When I had first seen that at age four, I thought an orange marmalade cat was rare or something. Shortly after that, though, I got my first pet, an orange marmalade cat whom I named (ironically enough) Ernie!
  20. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

That Q did have animated eyes, complete with lashes when they closed; I too got the impression that it was trying to sleep and being disturbed by the other letters.