1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What's your favorite Sesame 1-2-3's?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by The Count, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

Interesting. I never knew who did that music. That kind of info is also welcomed at the SS Animators thread.
  2. BlueAM

BlueAM New Member

I love the following:

The First Day of School (the song in which the Count sings about counting the kids in his classroom.)
    Count It Higher
    The Ten Commandments of Health
    Four (Little Jerry and the Monotones)
    Forty Blocks From My Home
    Honk Around the Clock
    The skit where the Count and Ernie get into a fight about answering the telephone because the Count wants to count the rings.
    One Banana
    I Just Adore Four (I really love the three AM guys who sang backup for Big Bird in that song, especially the one who is the same AM as Guy Smiley because he looks like Peter Sellers in The World of Henry Orient.)
    Count Up To Nine
    Counting Up to Five (Polly Darton)

BlueAM
    "I'm a baaaad boy!"
  3. mikealan

mikealan New Member

Here are my favorite number segments I watched from late May 2002 to the summer of 2003:

0-Animated segment: Girl tells boy the truth that there are zero elephants see saw in the zoo
    Animated segment: song of zero inside the plate
    1-Live-action segment/song: One (sung by Christopher Cerf, I think)
    Animated segment: Girl playing with one drum
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, a Monsterpiece Theater production
    2-The Baker#2-Two chocolate cream pies!
    Jazzy Spies#2
    Pinball Number Count#2
    Two little dolls, but I was interrupted by my mom! I wish I could see the whole segment again...help!
    3-The Baker#3-Three birthday cakes!
    Counting Cartoon Circus Tamer-3 Flying Felines!
    Live-action sketch where the orange ball rides on the roller-coaster with the powder at the end
    4-The Baker#4-Four root bear floats!
    The Number Painter (Paul Benedict) paints a '4' on the umbrella
    Cartoon fiddler: 4 Big Lions
    Animated segment: 4-headed man sings about the number 4
    Animated segment: 4 Elephants
    Animated segment: 4 Dolphins
    Pinball Number Count#4 (I enjoyed listening to it on audio MP3!)
    5-5's from No. 5 sign flash toward the camera
    two live girls count up to five by clapping
    Animated segment: 5, with the 5-shaped iceberg
    Gimme 5, sung by Gordon, Luis, David & Bob
    Five Waltzing Chairs
    6-Counting Cartoon Circus Tamer-6 Monkeys
    Kermit counts all six twiddle-bugs
    Six Soccer Socks
    Pinball Number Count#6
    The Number Painter (Paul Benedict) decorates a '6' by using cake icing
    Six Circus Balls doing tricks
    7-The Alligator King & His Seven Sons
    Rap#7
    Animated segment: 7 Rabbits
    Animated segment: 7 Animals in the tree
    8-The King of Eight
    Penny Candy Man
    Eight Balls of Fur, sung by Little Chrissy
    Animated segment: 8 Buttons on the monkey's shirt
    Animated segment: 8 Frogs
    9-Number Nine Martian Cutie
    Animated segment: 9 Birds
    Animated segment: 9 Penguins
    Rap#9
    Stamp Numbers#9
    10-Ten Tiny Turtles On the Telephone
    Pinball Number Count#10
    Counting Cartoon Circus Tamer-10 Brown Bears
    Stamp Numbers#10
    11-Rap#11
    Counting Cartoon Circus Tamer-11 Purple Pooches
    12-Ladybug Picnic
    Twelve Stones in the desert count up to twelve
    Bellhop-12 Phone Calls
    Swinging Numbers-12
    13-Lucky Thirteen
    Mask Numbers#13
    14-Fourteen Ducklings In the Pot
    Mask Numbers#14
    Live kids perform a song of 14
    Live kids paint a picture with '14'
    15-Mother Brown's Farm
    Animated segment: number fifteen song (oldie style!)
    Mask Numbers#15
    Mask creatures on parade-15
    Rap#15
    16-Yip-Yips & the '16'
    Mythical Creature Numbers-16
    Mask Numbers#16
    16 Television Sets
    Live kids paint a picture with '16'
    17-Mythical Creature Numbers-17
    Mask Numbers#17
    Live kids paint a picture with '17'
    Mask creatures on parade-17
    18-18 in outer space
    Live kids paint a picture with '18'
    Bellhop-Telephone message to Table 18
    Animated segment/song: Eighteen Sandwiches
    Mask Numbers#18
    Growing Numbers#18
    19-Rap#19
    Mask Numbers#19
    Mythical Creature Numbers-19
    Nineteen Pieces of Popcorn
    Growing Numbers#19
    19 in outer space
    20-Mythical Creature Numbers-20
    Growing Numbers#20
    Bellhop-20 Grapefruits
    Mask creatures on parade-20

These are the ones I remember.
  4. rjschex

rjschex New Member

1. "Jazz" series
    2. Pinball
    3. Circus Trainer
    4. Baker
    5. Mad Painter
    6. 4-Armed Hindu
    7. "Cast of Charactors" [sic]--misspelling at end
    --1: deflated
    --2: yanked into ground
    --3: falls backwards into water
    --4: slides when ground is tilted
    --5: popped with pin
    --6: grabbed away with hook
    --7: shatters
    --8: carried away by eagle
    --9: overinflated until it bursts
    -10: bowled over
    -11: banged together and shattered
    -12: pushed away by bulldozer
    -13: closed up in backhoe
    -14: pounded by mallet
    -15: squooshed by foot
    -16: crushed by falling tree
    -17: devoured by Cookie Monster (in his voice!)
    -18: under a falling safe
    -19: dynamited
    -20: shatters after leaf falls upon it

8. A forgotten(?) live action sketch: cards dealt one at a time; backs are normal playing-card design; faces have a fluorescent background (different color for each number) with large black number

9. Series of animated musical numbers: (2-6 featured a fiddler; Alligator King; Penny Candy Man; Martian Beauty; Ten Telephoning Turtles; Eleven Morning; Ladybug Picnic)

HONORABLE MENTION (not from Sesame Street):

--a series of animated number sketches on the mid-to-late 70's "Spanglish" series Villa Alegre. The ending went as follows:

A single line appeared as the number one.
    The line split into two horizontal lines; a "2" appeared inside.
    The "2" became a straight line, merging with the horizontal lines to form an equilateral triangle; a "3" then appeared inside.
    And so on, as follows:
    -4: square
    -5: regular pentagon
    -6: regular hexagon
    -7: regular heptagon
    -8: regular octagon
    -9: figure shaped like an upside-down "Y", formed by three squares touching at corners
    -10: figure formed by two elongated hexagons merged along one of the long sides
    ---the 10-sided figure then closes like a book, and opens to reveal a white rectangle with the numbers 1-10 inside, in different colors
  5. Splurge

Splurge Member

Gems, all of those.

I'd like to add another: an animation teaching 1-20 using birds. I'm pretty sure it was by the Hubleys. Pretty jazz music in the background and male singing vocal. Sometimes I put this in the same category as the song "Little Birdie" in the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special.
  6. Hays

Hays New Member

One I barely remember from when I was a kid

I think it was in the style of "Alligator King", the song was 1,2,3, 1,2,3, 1,2,3, (tee hee hee hee) had something to do with pigs and a lady...
  7. rjschex

rjschex New Member

Something you probably didn't know about that series:

The designs of the numerals were taken from the "Jazz" series, as well as from "The Sesame Street Book of Numbers". In the Jazz series, after the spies fade out into a yellow background, and the numbers start growing, we see the digits for a second in the "birdie" style, just before they get thick enough to overlap.
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

LOL! I saw the #2 Jazzy count an hour ago on some web site Mikeallan listed... I forget the name...

anyway, The really were on something with those skits. Especially the part with the 2 George Washington busts....

I dunno... I've always liked the Jazzy much better than Pinball Number count. Even before the trauma thing mentioned several posts back. I wish somehow thay'd show one of these next season, but I doubt it.

I basically love all the Donnie Bud (?) fiddler skits with the animals (the 2 step, 4 big lions, etc.)

And any skit with the Count counts, right?
  9. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

As far as the Donnie Bud (The Fiddler) series of animated songs, you're forgetting about the Amazing 3 Song.
    Any sketch with the Count counts? Well, that depends, so long as its a sketch where the Count reaches a determinate number, whichever that number may be. For example, the sketch with the Count as an elevator operator with Reporter Kermit counts cause he got all the way up and down from 1 to 10 and back down again. But the sketch where he's counting the different things you can do with your hands as his favorite part of the body wouldn't neccessarily count.

Oh, and what's this Sesame Street Book of Numbers I just heard of? I have the Sesame Street 1-2-3 Storybook, but not the supposed Book of Numbers. Any info on this publication would be most appreciated.
    Hope this helps and have a good day.
  10. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Unrelated, but I've found a Sesame Street alphabet Storybook (I'm guessing that's the title) that not only features Kermit, but even Miss Piggy as a brief cameo...
  11. The Count

Hey Drtooth, a few questions if you could answer them that is.
    1 What's the title of this Muppet Alphabet Storybook with both Kermit and Piggy?
    2 What's the name of the story where they both appear?
    The Sesame Street A-B-C Storybook is in my collection, and it has a rully nice cover photo with a few of the characters forming a tower of alphabet blocks.
    Thanks for your help and have a good day.
  12. BlueAM

BlueAM New Member

I wanna know:
    Which AM is Snow White? I think she's orange, but I could be wrong.

Also, what does Pokey look like? Please tell me what AM he is, nose color, what his eyes are like, if he has eyebrows, hair & beard color, and clothes.

Thanks!

BlueAM
  13. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

how about the elevator man going up 1o floors and due to the ammount of people and animals that were on the elevaotr exploded. or the number segment with the jazz singer singing the numbers and counting the birds and the 20th bird was a big blue one with a 20 and crushes the no. 20. for some reason i hated that ending. now i think it's funny.
  14. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

her's a couple of questions about counting on SS. 3 actually. up untill the 90s i never saw any features about the no. 1 thought i understand that SS in it's early years did feature the no. 1. matter of fact there was a Harvy kneeslapper 1 segment witch i was suprised to see. and somebody at YL mentioned the psychedelic numbers films there was also a 1 segment. i wonder if thecounting films with Grace Slick or the no. painter films had a 1 segment as well? also for so many years the numbers that were featured were from 1-10 then 1-12 but then why would they have segments were they would count from 1-20 and never feature the number between 12 and 20? now they do and sometimes they count to 40 but don't feature numbers past 20.
  15. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

i was just thinking of the number painter films. now there were 6 outdoor films and 4 indoor ones. in the case of the outdoor ones, i wonder if they were all shot in the same day? since sky was mostly cloudy in those though some sun was seen in the 5 and 9 films. the 9 film was pretty interesting because paul is painting it in the middle of a busy intersection and not a side street. matter of fact, seeing the 1st shot of Mac cleaning the street, it sort of looked like Times Square. i call him Mac because it was written in the back of his shirt. i've never have been to New York but i'm sure i've seen pictures of T.S. witch is why i figure that was where it was filmed. but i cannot see them closing the streets in order to paint a 9 in the street and wash it away. i wonder if there were special effects involved in this one and it just looked likr it?
  16. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

SS 1-2-3 favs.

:D I love all the classic # skits,especially:

The Baker
    The Count's Counting Song
    Five Purple Konkers
    Grover The Baker
    Honk around the Clock
    King Minus
    Ladybugs' Picnic
    The Land of 6
    The Land of 8
    Penny Candy Man
    The Pinball Song
    Ten Tiny Turtles on the Telephone
    Three
    Toucan 2-step
    Two Little Dolls
  17. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

1-2-3 SS skits

These are fantastic too!! :excited:
  18. The Count

Hi Mikebenedict, thought I could hep you with a few answers. As for the totality of numbers featured as the Number of the Day... not sure what's the reason behind featuring only said numbers for so long, but I know that they finally decided to feature the numbers 0 and 13-20 after María's and Luis's wedding. I remember the honeymoon episode where they're driving in Oscar's Sloppy Jalopy and arrive at this camp area where they're bothered by Sonny Friendly. That episode was sponsored by the letters S and X and the number 17. The highest number they've featured is the number 21, with a poem by Ernie as a sketch and the story of Numberella as segments for that number.
    As for sketches featuring the number 1, there's no Number Painter, Pinball Count nor Circus Ringmaster sketch/segment for this number. There have been various bits and segments since then though, like the western song sung by Johnny Cash with Big Bird, the Count and Countess Dahling von Dahling; the episode where a number 1 didn't want to be the number 1, the gag with Patrick Stewart where he gives the number 1 his classic ST TNG command; and an arcane song I remember that has to be in the Sesame vaults.
    This sketch had the female number Muppets for the numbers 10 to 1 with lightbulbs on their outlines, all lined up for a sort of pageant. The number 1 was extremely shy and didn't want to perform at first, but was then coaxed into singing and gave it her all.

As for the Number Painter's 9 sketch, can't say for sure. But it's not rully that far-fetched, if you've been to NYC then you know that there's a street with a store (maybe a bookstore, not sure anymore) that has a big red number 9 stationed on the sidewalk in front of it.
    Hope this helps and have a good weekend.
  19. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

well i've never seen a no. painter film of 1 or even 12. but i remember seeing a Harvy Kneeslapper skit in the 90s were another muppet, not the same fat blue guy, hary asked him do you want 1? whatever it was. and he said yes. well you know what happened. besides most of those 70s skits were retired by that time and the fact i never saw SS featuring 1, i was suprised. i don't know if you were a member of YL as me, Ssetta, and Mark the Shark were but somebody there said that 1 was featured early on and mentioned that one of the so called psychedelic numbers films were people said 10 triangles or 9 nails. as for the red 9 that's painted on that sidewalk you mentioned, thta couldn't of been the 9 Mr. Bennidict panted because the 9 he painted was white. though i'm sure after those films were made, there were probably a good deal of dingalings who copied off of him.
  20. Splurge

Splurge Member

What's the "Grover the Baker" skit?