When you need to rant...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's a rant I have with the movie Major Payne...

So at one point in the movie, Payne attempts to tell Tiger a bedtime story, an altered version of The Little Engine that Could, basing his version of his own past battle experiences aboard a train, while Miss Walburn listens in on the story... the story basically sheds light on why Payne is basically the homicidal maniac that he is throughout the movie (spoiler alert, while engaged in battle, his friend is nearly killed when his bottom half is blown off by the enemy). Finally, Miss Walburn interrupts the story, and says she'd like to talk to him about it over dinner... but when they have dinner, she doesn't even really talk about it, she just commends for almost doing a nice thing for Tiger, and asks him if there's anything he enjoys that doesn't involve war. I mean really? And her character is also supposed to be the school guidance councelor, you'd think she'd at least try to reach him by asking something along the lines of, "Are you trying to avenge your friend or something?" I mean, it leaves such an open gap in the movie... it's pretty obvious when you listen to the story, but still, it seems like Miss Walburn would address it to Payne to get to the root of his military bent.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Vegetarians. While I completely respect anyone's decision to give up meat for whatever reason (health, moral, religious, etc.) I've run into a number of people over the years who have taken on a pious, self-righteous, holier than-thou attitude towards meat-eaters. Or have tried to put me on a guilt trip just because I enjoy my steaks and ribs.
It might be trendy lately to go veggie, but try to remember, folks. Trends are fast, evolution is slow. Man by design is a carnivore, and we need our proteins, and you ain't gonna get that from lettuce!
Now 'scuse me, I got a grill to fire up and a London broil with my name on it!

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Sometimes people can get a little personal when it comes to eating. I remember a vegetarian acquaintance in high school actually throwing food at a friend of mine because she mentioned eating veal.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, if it makes you guys feel any better, vegetarians tend to die sooner from improper dieting... I mean look at Marty Feldman, he was a vegetarian, so to make up for lack of protein, he ate a LOT of eggs, which you have to cook in butter, which has lots of cholestoral, which unfortunately contributed to his death.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
technically, if you go by the shape of our teeth, we are not carnivores. Our molars are designed for grinding food. True carnivores do not have flat molars, but more serrated teeth that help with shredding raw meat

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, but we're not supposed to eat raw meat, as the bacteria can be lethal, which is why we cook our meat to kill the bacteria.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Not really. If you were raised on a raw meat diet, you would eventually become pretty immune to the bacteria. Its highly ill advised, but there are some nutjobs out there who live on a raw meat diet. In fact, their bodies become so used to the bacteria, that cooked meat will make them sick.

Just from teeth structure alone, we would be considered herbivores or omnivores, depending on what scientist you ask.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Plus from what I understand, vegetarians, by virtue of their diet, tend to have more gas.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------
Vegetarianism is actually a great deal healthier for you; most proteins and amino acids can be derived from plant sources, and adding a little dairy or egg or fish to that rounds it out nicely. Red meat is the WORST thing you can eat, and it's ridiculously easy to overeat it -- we actually only "need" a couple of ounces every great once in a while, and even that's subjective.

That said, about once every couple of months I crave a steak, and fix one. We have evolved to be omnivores, so a little of everything in moderation is fine. But yeah...Americans in particular do eat waaaayyy too much meat.

I do respect folks who choose not to eat animals, but I get irritated too at the self-righteous ones. Especially the vegans who insist that keeping chickens for their (unfertilized!) eggs is a crime. No...ripping off their beaks and shoving them in tiny cages their whole lives is a crime, but why object to happy birds scratching in an outdoor yard and roosting in comfy straw at night, laying eggs because they see a handsome rooster around? (Really, that IS all the stimulation a hen needs.) What's wrong, in that case, with eating those eggs? Or that milk, from free-ranging cows? That part I don't get. I don't see using the products from well-treated animals as cruel, even if you don't eat the animal itself.
------------