When you need to rant...

Hubert

Reaction score
OK...I just have to do some ranting about using the acronym "LOL," namely on this forum.

I don't mind if you use it here, that is perfectly fine to use it when necessary. But I have noticed a recent wave of people around here who tend to use it basically after every sentence, and that's what is getting to me. People are using it randomly after quoting someone's post, which almost makes it look like you are ridiculing them. Here's an example:

The original poster said:
I don't know if it is just me, but I really don't see a problem with the Fraggles working with Ben Folds Five. I think that, if done correctly (which it has), is a great way for the Fraggles to begin to make a comeback
The next poster said:
lol, I guess it's just personal preference, Ben Folds Five never really did anything for me, lol
I don't know if you picked up the vibe or not, but I think it sort of sets off the feeling that you are almost ridiculing the previous poster's words. It's OK to use it, but think before you do so. If you're into hardcore research, check out D'Snowth or heralde's usages of the acronym...they don't use it a super amount of times, and know the appropriate time to use it.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Hmm...I know me personally I don't know if I use it a lot or more then I should but I do try to use "LOL" sparingly. That's what the smiley's are for. At least I try to becareful of when I should and shouldn't use it. Man Hubert is good at making me think.

Hubert

Reaction score
Yeah, you do fine with it, it's just that some users here (they're mainly less established, but still...) tend to use it every other second.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Yeah, you do fine with it, it's just that some users here (they're mainly less established, but still...) tend to use it every other second.
Lol, I can't believe how often people use "lol," lol. I like to think that my use of "lol" is rather conservative, lol. Lol, now I'm wondering about who these users are, lol. Maybe we should make a game of counting how many "lols" are used in all of their posts, lol.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Lol, I can't believe how often people use "lol," lol. I like to think that my use of "lol" is rather conservative, lol. Lol, now I'm wondering about who these users are, lol. Maybe we should make a game of counting how many "lols" are used in all of their posts, lol.
Shall I call the Count?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't know if you picked up the vibe or not, but I think it sort of sets off the feeling that you are almost ridiculing the previous poster's words. It's OK to use it, but think before you do so. If you're into hardcore research, check out D'Snowth or heralde's usages of the acronym...they don't use it a super amount of times, and know the appropriate time to use it.
Wow um thanks, I'm flattered! Lol. :wink:

But seriously, sometimes people use "lol" like that when they know they're disagreeing with someone just to keep the mood friendly, you know?