When you outgrew Sesame Street...

• Thread starter Philo and Gunge
  • Start date

Beebers

Reaction score
I just went back and read this thread, which I had not done before posting above.

You guys, I AM a parent. Albeit an awesomely cool parent. But I will tell you, I'm amazed by some of your posts about households deciding some Arbitrary Maturity Cut-off Date for SS, or anything else. Wow. And I will simply say I disagree with that idea and I find it strange.
How would it be different from my going back at my age and re-reading excellent books I'd read at a younger age? It wouldn't. Or, my grown friends still catching cartoons and stop-animation? Or WORKING in those fields. Or winning Oscars in those fields. Think about it. Jim Henson, who gave us all this was . . . What was he, everybody??? A PARENT. And a grownup! OMG. Don't let yourselves be made to feel weird about it. It isn't weird. I'm sorry it's such an issue for some of you, that's too bad. Bothers me. Be yourselves, whenever possible.

:concern:

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Y'know, I completely agree with these statements - every last one!

Just today, I was doing some stuff around the house after getting back from grocery shopping and I decided to put a CD in while I worked away at something with my Mom in the same room ('Follow That Bird' soundtrack - so it's Sesame, to follow the thread - LOL). The minute I started playing it, I got a sigh and a groan from my Mom, who promptly tsk-ed in disgust. I said "What's wrong with it? I'm interested in all aspects of [puppetry and music]! This is, after all, what I want to do with my life..." and I got an at-first-reassuring "It's okay..." followed by "...just tell me you won't be [involved in the kiddie stuff] when you're forty." I was gob-smacked at this, as you can probably tell. My retort: "Look, Mom -- how old was Jim when he passed? How old are a lot of his crew and countless others in the profession? Many are in their forties, fifties, sixties, and on up. Who makes these things? Adults do. We do." So for anyone out there who questions Sesame, or any other children's program (or the affinity thereof), think -- what would there be for kids without the adults to create these shows? More reruns of Herman's Head?

That's my piece and I'm stickin' to it,
>Adam

Erine81981

Reaction score
Good Going PukkaPukka. Now thats how to stick it to her. (sorry not to sound rude)

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
PukkaPukka said:
what would there be for kids without the adults to create these shows? More reruns of Herman's Head?
Not that that would be an entirely bad thing... :wink:

Seriously, congrats for having the guts to speak your mind. There's nothing wrong with adults being interested in children's culture. Who makes it? Who produces it? Who is responsible for the next generation (besides Patrick Stewart)? Adults, of course. Good job sticking up for yourself.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I so agree with all of you.

There were a lot of kids who made fun of me for liking Sesame Street!That made me sooo mad whenever I think of it.
Why,in the school I went to in Singapore(3rd Grade),this kid knew that I liked SS and told me that no one in the world likes Sesame Street!Can you believe that?That is so not true!

:mad: :grouchy: :boo:

muppet maniac

Reaction score
...and I will never grow out of Sesame Street,The Muppets,or anything by Jim Henson/JHC! I love Henson/SS/TMS and always will!Zip.Zatta.End of story

guysmiley4ever

Reaction score
sesame age limit?

Philo and Gunge said:
What did your parents do when you were too old for Sesame?
Too old for Sesame Street? I was totally unaware that there was an age limit to watch fine programming. Golly, your never too old to learn!!

I admit that I've cut back on watching SS since Elmo took over.
I watched SS every morning before I went to High School and watched Square One when I got home.
Ahhh, those were the days. That was beforethe Elmo invasion.
:embarrassed: I still watch it sometimes now. Baby bear used to bug me too, but found that he's less annoying than Elmo, so he's okay.

Anyhoo, my brother was a big Elmo fan and always wore Elmo shirts in High school. His friends gave him SS toys for gifts.
I still want a Grover t-shirt and would definatley buy up them SS colectables, too. I have the videos 'put down the duckie' and 'Elmopalooza'.
Even though Elmo's there, it still a cute show and ernie with the sax rocks! :stick_out_tongue:

Really, i'd be watching 'captain kangaroo' if they played the reruns.
And if they ever play Sesame Street 'unpaved' or any shows from 70s-80s, i would be glued to the screen. besides, that's how i picked my name...I love Guy Smiley forever and ever.