Where's the love for Rocky and Bullwinkle?

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
As someone who wrongfully disliked the characterization of Lola in TLTS at first, I can safely say that Lola was a crap character to begin with. The flat, female Mary Sue character that execs forced into the film to get girls to watch... even though this was the era where they were trying to use the gender confusion of Tweety Bird (a male) to their advantage. TLTS essentially rescued the character and made her something other than Bugs painted pink to sell girl stuff. And remember, they've been trying for "girl Bugs that didn't actually appear in anything for the sake of pretending to be balanced" for years. Honey Bunny was in coloring books.

She had to fight tooth and nail to get into Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries as well. WB really has a thing against consistency in character voices when it comes to the Looney Tunes. Scooby-Doo has recently been far more rigid with official recasts. But LT? Anything goes.
Yup the first Lola IMO was pretty boring.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
After finally seeing a trailer for MR. PEABODY & SHERMAN... I'm honestly trying hard not to sigh or roll my eyes, because... it just doesn't look too good... Mr. Peabody seems to be more of an absent-minded professor-type in this adaptation.

And oh, surprise-surprise, Pat Warburton voicing a big, dumb guy character. I love Pat Warburton, but... come on, this is getting old...

Drtooth

Reaction score
From what I understand, the humor and characterization of the recent comics series is essentially what you'll get in the film. And there's nothing to worry about on that front.

I have not experienced absent minded Peabody in the comics or any of the previews. he's still his old, incredibly adapt self... maybe a couple gags about him being a dog. Looks like the best Jay Ward film we're ever going to get... though, that's not exactly high competition.

I feel that if you can sit through Dudley Do-Right, you can pretty much sit through this. I did... twice.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I expect it will be even better than the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie. Yes...I like that movie.....don't judge me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really liked the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie. I've spoke my piece about the one thing that ruined it's potential (studio heads love to screw up these things to get girls to want to see them), but they did the research, they got the characters down pat, and they even made obscure references to past episodes.

Dudley Do-Right however, while it has it's moments I'll give it that, wanted desperately to be George of the Jungle and failing at everything possible. Even adding a Monty Python cast member. The saddest fact of all is that GOTJ was originally supposed to be the script of a different Tarzan parody... I forget the exact story, but they realized they had a perfect GOTJ movie in the script for a not GOTJ movie. It's like how the Die Hard movies that were cobbled together from different concepts and scripts were good and the one time they actually wrote a Die Hard movie it was awful.

Then again, we should be thankful this Peabody and Sherman film got made. Had Bullwinkle and Dudley been successful, we'd've had a live action one. And now horrifying thoughts of am Underdog-esque film with a real dog Peabody are running through my head.

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
And oh, surprise-surprise, Pat Warburton voicing a big, dumb guy character. I love Pat Warburton, but... come on, this is getting old...
I had a similar reaction to that when I first saw the trailer. Pat Warburton's played the same bumbling-butch-blowhard in almost every thing I've seen him in for over a decade ...and it's now that I'm getting annoyed with it?!?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Pat's got potential, he really does, but he falls victim to being type-casted, and I think a lot of it has to do with Puddy from SEINFELD, since that was pretty much the role that really launched his career... though interestingly, Puddy's pretty much a completely different character in his debut episode: he's a decent, hard-working mechanic, who can actually speak coherently, as opposed to that mumbling, squinting, clueless oaf he became known for.

Then again, Jonah Hill has a similar problem. He actually wants more work in serious movies, like that MONEY BALL he did with Brad Pitt, but he keeps getting typecasted in these lowbrow comedy movies.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Pat's other roles that don't fall into the bumbling variety are Buzz Lightyear from the Star Command series, Joe from Family Guy, and Sheriff Stone from Scooby Doo Mystery Inc.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Pat's other roles that don't fall into the bumbling variety are Buzz Lightyear from the Star Command series, Joe from Family Guy, and Sheriff Stone from Scooby Doo Mystery Inc.
And of course, Brock Samson from Venture Bros. The least incompetent character Pat ever played.

Have I mentioned that I love Venture bros yet?

Anyway, after watching several trailers, I give Ty nothing but credit for actually attempting the Mr. Peabody voice. I really love how he managed to be the second choice for both this and MMW and actually managed to be better than the already amazing actors that had to back down in their respective roles.

Unless they're planning some surprise stuff as soon as the movie comes out, there's hardly any merchandising. Just a McDonald's Happy Meal promotion seen here. Side note... kinda getting annoyed by other countries getting better or more toys than we do. But for the rest of the merchandising, kinda disappointed there's no classic Peabody stuff for fans of the old series. Not even a T-shirt. And I'd LOVE a T-shirt.