Which Meant More to Bert?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Maybe it was a good luck charm. After all, Ernie and Bert were the first Sesame Street characters to find Big Bird, and after the bottlecaps fell out of the plane, they lost Big Bird.
Wow! Ya know? I never though about it like that!:smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I wonder if there had ever been any cosnideration to have The Count counts Bert's bottlecaps or paperclips. I don't know if The Count would discriminate against counting boring things, but Bert has a large number of bottle caps. However, his supply of paperclips seemed small in Christmas Eve on Sesame Street (Bert put them together into a chain, and it looked like he must have had less than 20. If he had more paperclips that he didn't just give away to Mr. Hooper, then he would have had some paperclips to put in the cigar box. I wonder if he would have been sad if he just gave away a small amount of his paperclips).
Is there such things as "boring things to count" to Count? I know he doesn't particularly care for counting things in threes since not too many things come in three, that is until Baby Bear brought him to his house where they had three of everything, thus giving Count joy in counting things in three.

dabauckham

Reaction score
Other than nothing, a la "Nothing to Count", I doubt that there is much that could bother the Count while he's doing his numbers thing. :stick_out_tongue:
It is his drug after all, and it sure beats other more destructive habits. :halo:
Actually, here's a question: what is the most havoc the Count has ever created as a result of counting? I don't have an encyclopedic enough knowledge to answer this question myself.

anytimepally

Reaction score
what is the most havoc the Count has ever created as a result of counting? I don't have an encyclopedic enough knowledge to answer this question myself.
I don't know what the most was, but my favorite is the song "One Potato." .. he drives all those people crazy, and it's The Count at his most maniacal :crazy:

dabauckham

Reaction score
LOL! Yeah, "One Potato's" a great one - I love all the different characters and voices. Methinks that one's really more for the adults than the kiddies. And hey, congrats on passing the 2,000 post mark, Randall! :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I suppose bottle-caps are generally concidered unhygenic for picking up and collecting. Sure, collect your own caps, but...not others.

Also, to add to an old conversation here, I'd rather be hit with paperclips from a plane (lighter, smaller) than Bottlecaps (sharp-edges, heavier).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well remember, bottle caps have changed a lot over the years. The kind Bert would have been collecting originally would have been lighter (though still having sharp edges. But then again, so do paperclips).

Teheheman

Reaction score
Well, I think that bottlecaps would be easier to remember than paperclips, so I guess the paperclip one is good cause he remembers how he got everyone of them. BUT, then again, the bottlecaps are good cause he knew when he drank them. The bottlecaps though, would make it on the plane now-in-days because of how sharp the paperclips are(or how they say they are)

Daniel

JLG

Reaction score
But then, Bert also has a prized bottle cap collection that's even been mounted, Sesame Street Unpaved said his collection consists of 368 bottle caps, and it's like he actually remembers the time he drank whatever it was he drank to get the cap from that bottle.

LOL that reminds me of Scrooge McDuck's money bin, and how he knows each and every coin in there, and remembers exactly what he did to earn it.

dabauckham

Reaction score
I think, upon careful consideration, that I would have to agree that paper clips are more dear to Bert than bottle caps.

Paper clips are mentioned in many of Bert's songs; not only the aforementioned "Have you Ever Looked at a Paper Clip," but also "I'm Square", "Pigeons on Parade" (where they are in fact compared with the greatness of pigeons), "I Wish I had a friend to play with me" and probably many others that I'm not remembering off the top of my head. And, as Snowthy commented, Bert does trade in his paper clip collection, NOT his bottle cap collection to give to Mr. Hooper in the gift of the magi story. That's a real sacrifice for him...

Yeah....that settles it, at least in my mind. :smile: