Who are your favorite filmmaker(s)?

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Call me French, but I'm a Jerry Lewis fan. He is an excellent comedy director, and his movies never stop cracking me up. He truly is a brilliant comedian, and his directing/writing styles are perfect in bringing out his best, I think.
I like a lot of Jerry's work as a director, especially The Ladies Man, The Bellboy, The Errand Boy, The Patsy and The Nutty Professor.

Lewis also worked well with animator/director Frank Tashlin, both in his Martin & Lewis days, and as a solo.

I saw Jerry live in the revival of D*** Yankees, and I actually felt sorry for the rest of the cast trying to keep up with him! He would ad-lib left and right and inject silly voices into his songs. It was Jerry being Jerry. But it was also terribly funny, especially trying to see the cast keep straight faces whenever he'd go into his schtick.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I like a lot of Jerry's work as a director, especially The Ladies Man, The Bellboy, The Errand Boy, The Patsy and The Nutty Professor.

Lewis also worked well with animator/director Frank Tashlin, both in his Martin & Lewis days, and as a solo.
Yeah, I was thinking of Tash, too. His movies are just fantastic! I watched The Disorderly Orderly last night, and it's such a sweet story.

I saw Jerry live in the revival of D*** Yankees, and I actually felt sorry for the rest of the cast trying to keep up with him! He would ad-lib left and right and inject silly voices into his songs. It was Jerry being Jerry. But it was also terribly funny, especially trying to see the cast keep straight faces whenever he'd go into his schtick.
That would be way past cool. I wish I could have seen him doing that. I remember hearing him say he didn't think he made it, or rather he didn't think his father would think he made it, until he did Broadway.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking of Tash, too. His movies are just fantastic! I watched The Disorderly Orderly last night, and it's such a sweet story.

That would be way past cool. I wish I could have seen him doing that. I remember hearing him say he didn't think he made it, or rather he didn't think his father would think he made it, until he did Broadway.
Yeah, Jerry and Tashlin worked great together! I love the scene in The Disorderly Orderly where Jerry, crawling on the ground in a straightjacket, is actually left behind by a snail, who is moving "faster!" A perfect Tashlin gag.

I just got the Martin & Lewis Collection Volume 2 in the mail today. It includes Living It Up, Artists & Models, You're Never Too Young, Pardners and Hollywood or Bust. For some reason the set is missing Three Ring Circus and Money From Home. Possibly there's some legal entanglement preventing them from being released on DVD.:confused:

Seeing Jerry live was a gas! Yankees was his first Broadway show. In 1977, he and Lynn Redgrave were set to star in H***zapoppin', a revival of the 1930s vaudville-style sketch/musical show, but it never made it to Broadway.

I wear my Jerry Lewis badge proud, and consider him one of the greats in American comedy. I would go so far as to say I enjoy Jerry's films better than Woody Allen's films, and I'm a big Woody Allen fan as well.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I started writing a musical with a Jerry-like character in it (as well as a Groucho Marx-type character). I really oughta finish it.

I keep wanting to buy the Martin and Lewis collections. I have the Jerry Lewis Paramount set, and I'm hoping the release something with all his projects with Tashlin. I think perhaps Jerry's films are some of the last great comedies ever made. Most comedies today seem to be very much the same, with an extraordinary lack of imagination. Jerry Lewis is probably my favorite comedian, and I love how he attributes so much of what he did to Stan Laurel (Dick Van Dyke will tell you the same thing about his act).

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I started writing a musical with a Jerry-like character in it (as well as a Groucho Marx-type character). I really oughta finish it.

I keep wanting to buy the Martin and Lewis collections. I have the Jerry Lewis Paramount set, and I'm hoping the release something with all his projects with Tashlin. I think perhaps Jerry's films are some of the last great comedies ever made. Most comedies today seem to be very much the same, with an extraordinary lack of imagination. Jerry Lewis is probably my favorite comedian, and I love how he attributes so much of what he did to Stan Laurel (Dick Van Dyke will tell you the same thing about his act).
Yeah, I remember a few Dick Van Dyke Show episodes where Dick did a very convincing impression of Stan Laurel. I read somewhere that Stan even lent him his bowler hat to wear on the series. Dick was also instrumental in getting Stan a special Academy Award for his work in the early 1960s.

Stan and Ollie were both very humble men who loved their fans. Even when their film career petered out in the 1940s, they kept busy with live shows. Stan was so humble and un-Hollywood, he kept his name and address listed in the phone book during his retirement. Strangers who loved his work would call him, and he would often invite them to his home for the afternoon for tea.

My favorite comedians are (in no particular order)

Jerry Lewis
Danny Kaye
Laurel & Hardy
Bob Hope
The Marx Brothers
Chevy Chase

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
According to imdb, there is an animated version of The Nutty Professor in the works, and Jerry is listed as one of the voices.

I read he was planning to turn Nutty into a stage musical, but haven't heard anything about it recently.

janicegroupie

Reaction score
I have to say I agree with all the Tim Burton lovers here. He is such an awesome director. I love how creative his films are he is so different than other directors and that he uses Johnny Depp a lot who I absolutely love for his amazing acting talents and very good looks. My all time fave Burton movie is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I don't know why I just fell in love with it when it came out. Nightmare Before Christmas is in a close second though.