who is this purple muppet?

Beauregard

Reaction score
The one with the posh english accent? Why on earth is he called Spotted Dick??? And why, Hunchback Frackle, since he isn't a hunchback???

BEAR

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
The one with the posh english accent? Why on earth is he called Spotted Dick??? And why, Hunchback Frackle, since he isn't a hunchback???
Who knows? It's the Muppets.
Also, I don't believe he has appeared in anything else aside from Muppet Oz and Treasure Island.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Bo... You'd have to contact muppet_dk and ask him about the origins of why Purple Hunchback Frackle got named that.
Hope this helps.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Mr Count, spoke to Henrick. Turns out we are thinking of two Totally different Muppets! Purple Hunchback Frackle is the aligator like one, who is also called Spotted Dick.

The one that MM and I were refering to is the tall-headed one with the monicle/eyeglass and the buck-teeth....

*heads off to find a photo*

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... I'm the wrong person to talk about if you're basing the question solely on a photo. Would recommend you go through the ML15 searching for all TMS/MTI designations and compile a small list of your own. Then, go to whatever website has pics of them all, if any not sure maybe Henrik's, and go one by one to see if you find the character you're talking about. If it turns out this is a character I don't have listed, then I'd be interested in whatever you find out regarding its name.
Hope this helps and have a good day.

Oh and regarding MWoO, I think it'd be better to search for MTI as I said above, but if you need it... LMK and I can send you a list of the MWoO entries I got also.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I am referring to the character that beauregard showed a picture of. I wonder if he was created for Muppet Treasure Island or if he was around before in some obscure henson production. I wonder if there are any design sketches that have a name for him, or if he had a proper name in the scripts (or could the scripts have just refered to him under a name like "Pirate" or "tall purple guy" or something like that?). I can't remember whether he spoke in The Muppets Wizard Of Oz. he is a cool-looking character, and I think he should be used in future productions.

There was a Muppets wizard of Oz cast list in the news section of Muppet central, and one of the characters listed was Calico jack, but I don't know who that is, and I do know the names of most of the other muppets seen in that movie (the only exception being some of the generic whatnots and forrest creatures, if they have proper names).

Beauregard

Reaction score
I was of teh understanding that no one had figured out who calico jack is. Athough, I always assumed it was the cat-like one who sings "Manly men are we" in Sailing for Adventure.

Is it?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... First of all, Calico Jack is a misnomer. The character's proper name is "Calico Jerry" and he was indeed performed by Jerry Nelson in MTI. Towards the end fight sequence I think Long John calls out to Calico Jerry for something or other. Mayhaps someone who has the movie can help out.