1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Who's going to see Disney's the Princess and the Frog

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JJandJanice, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

But that stuff WORKS. Treasure Planet didn't really do that, Atlantis didn't quite do that (and tried to be Titan A.E.) and they both failed to click. I liked Atlantis, though...

Plus, you can hardly tell from a 5 minute clip. It could be better or worse as the film progresses. You take the wrong 5 minutes out of any movie, and you wind up with something terrible. it's like watching a bad episode of a TV show and never watching that show again, even if it was uncharacteristically bad episode.
  2. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

How is that a bad thing? It's been said numerous times that The Princess and the Frog is Disney's attempt to get back to their roots--hand-drawn animation with a good, heart-warming story. I saw these first five minutes as well and I thought they looked very good, very Disney, very classic. If you don't want Disney to be Disney... what do you want them to be? :confused:
  3. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Look, all I'm saying is it was just over kill for me. Was just too over the top. No, you can't judge anything just by watching a small part of it, but they just needed to chill out and give people a breathe it was all too much coming at me to quickly at one time for my taste. There is a way Disney can be Disney without being so completely in your face.

They are usually one step above themselves. that;'s my opinion, whatever.
  4. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

Only a month and 3 days left! ! ! *dies* I seriously can't wait.

And I wanna marry the villain. So bad. His voice is just...all melty and sexy... *squeeeee!* <33

...don't look at me like that. XP
  5. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I loved Treasure Planet. It's sad that didn't click. Atlantis just didn't get off the ground for me. But everything for this new Princess & Frog move looks fantastic. It looks like Disney *is* stretching a little out of their range for this one, but we'll see. It's hard to tell right now.
  6. Drtooth

Well, here's the deal with Atlantis... Apparently it has so many striking similarities to a Japanese movie called Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, and it came under so much fire for that one. Even after the producers and everyone else who worked on that movie denied ever hearing of it. Of course, that would be the second time. They came after even MORE fire earlier for the Lion King which had more similarities to the old Tezuka series "Kimba the White Lion." The worst part is, Kimba was this close to being internationally known as Simba.

So, yeah, coincidence stealing of a film kinda bit them on the butt with Atlantis, but not as hard as venturing out of Princess films.

I have to say I liked that one, but mainly due to Don Novello's character. Never bothered watching the entire Treasure Planet... saw some of it on TV and didn't get into it. For that matter I wasn't too big on their Tarzan, either.
  7. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

Disney just doesn't seem to do well with the high fantasy (Dungeons and Dragons type fantasy) or science fiction genres. It's a crying shame too, I think. Because films like Atlantis and Treasure Planet (I enjoyed both of them) didn't do well, that's probably not a genre we'll be likely to see Disney explore any time soon.

Unfortunately, it seems as though most traditionally animated sci fi films don't seem to go over well with American audiences.
  8. yetiman

yetiman Member

I'm looking forward to the new film, probably more for what it represents for the future of animation than for the story itself (which looks pretty good, too; I'm one of those people who likes a dose of classic Disney smarminess). Whenever my family would go to Disney World when I was a kid, I would stand and watch the animators for hours. I remember my dad there with his hands on my shoulders as I stood entranced by one of them drawing a scene with young Simba. To this day, thinking of how cool that was gives me goosebumps. I was mortified when Disney basically scrapped their traditional animation department a few years ago.

I'm really pleased, however, that John Lasseter has been made Chief Creative Officer of Disney Animation. I think that he has a real passion for good stories and a love for classic animation. He's someone who wants to quash the silly notion that 3D animation will kill off 2D (ironic, given his role in founding Pixar, which, until recently, Disney seemed to view as the harbinger of doom for traditional animation). Good for him on that. I think a lot of the more recent animated films seemed to be really lacking in story power. The animation continued to be stunning, but the films couldn't really hold my attention in the same way as the classic ones and the Disney Renaissance pieces do. Hopefully The Princess and the Frog will change that.
  9. Drtooth

Yeah... I do think its funny Pixar, the world's leading CGI animation firm is more committed to making traditional animation than anyone else. I just wish they'd let Disney make DTV Mickey Mouse films... I thought Three Musketeers was amazing. I'd love to see some sort of Scrooge McDuck comics based movie (there's enough to work with) or something with Papernik (Donald Duck's Batman meets Arsene Lupin Italian superhero identity). I mentioned him in another thread...
  10. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

I finally saw this today. I absolutely LOVED it. Disney really surprised me with this one. I honestly wasn't anticipating anything mind-blowing, but I was absolutely floored. Mama Odie's musical number was absolutely fantastic and I'm still tapping my feet to it. My favorite character has to be Ray the Firefly. I was amazed by the ending--did NOT see that coming! But I was very, very impressed with how they handled it.

Overall, this was an absolutely awesome film and I highly recommend it. It feels like classic Disney--and at the same time it feels like they weren't trying to prove themselves. They were just trying to make a great movie--which they most certainly did.
  11. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

Here it comes out on January 1st... the same day Fantastic Mr. Fox is, too! A double-bunger- I can't wait! :excited:
  12. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

Same, in fact Atlantis AND Treasure Planet are big faves of mine... I just adored the characters! <3
  13. TheHairyMonster

TheHairyMonster New Member

Yeah, I'll probably go and see it, if only to support the more traditional Disney movie.

Not that all the newer ones are bad, I just would like to see them do more 2D animation... to keep it from dying.
  14. Drtooth

Lucky... You'll probably see Fantastic Mr. Fox play at more than 2 art theaters. I've been looking pretty hard to find that one, but I just couldn't find any theater it's playing.

Yeah, I guess I'll see this after Christmas... then see about that Chipmunks 2 thing...
  15. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

Amen, brothah. :3
  16. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I took my three neices and a friend on that Saturday after the day it started showing. Oh man i fell right in love with the animation and everything. The storyline was prefect and it had a feel like i was back in the 90's watching an old favorite of mine. The oldest one thought it was ok but would rather see Chipmunks (which i would too) but she still had fun. But the other two enjoyed it to their lifes depended on it. The youngest one fell alseep after 10 or 15 minutes of the film. But i can't wait to see what else comes along from Disney.

Before the film had came out i went to San Antinio to watch the oldest neice prefrom on their jump rope team for a the San Antino Spurs and all. But i went to the Disney store in their mall and what to my eyes did i see several of the characters as stuffed plushes. Now first i saw the Prince Frog and Princess Frog then saw Carl (isn't that the gators name) with his trumpet. The other character was Ray the firefly and i couldn't pass him up. Well figured i didn't have enough to get any of the characters. So i hope when i go to Disney next year i'll find me some mernch from the movie.
  17. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

It's actually Louis (Like Louis Armstrong). I liked that character alot. I found his character design to be very appealing.

I got a Louis plush and Naveen plush and Ray plush from the Disney Store.
  18. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

With my tight budget, I'm going to have to wait until it comes to video at Blockbusters.
  19. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

There you go. Thanks BG for that. I forget so easliy that it's not funny. But cool to see you got those plushes from the Disney store. I can't wait to go to Disney World next year and buy me some of those too.
  20. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

That movie was amazing. :D (And right now I have a strong craving for beignets. :hungry:)