1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Who's going to see Disney's the Princess and the Frog

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JJandJanice, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

By the way, back on the topic of The Princess and The Frog, there is a poster out now, I don't know if the link was posted already, but here it is:

http://www.cinematical.com/photos/the-princess-and-the-frog/2009173/

I think it's a nice poster as far as it doesn't look like clip art was used like most cop-out posters and DVD art of today, but does anyone else think it looks a bit like they're advertising a CG movie? I mean, it's rather obvious that it's a digital painting and there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it?
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Oh my, yes. I HATE these cheap new movie posters. The CGI ones, fine... all you have to do is move around characters and repose them in an exciting way... but the live action posters are just bad publicity shots with an unfunny pun slapped in front of it. It's a doggone shame that garbage like "Grandma's Boys" got a classically designed illustrated poster (clearly to link it to Animal House). Who out there didn't love the Indiana Jones and Star Wars posters when the films first came out, lovingly illustrated and painted to look realistic? or the cornball 1960's style you see in James Bond one sheets. Now it's all publicity photo, photoshop... blah blah blah...

And as far as that poster goes... it looks like they made CGI models of the characters and posed them... I wonder if that was the case at all.
  3. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

I feel the same way. It really seems as though good poster art is a lost art. And DVDs are sometimes worse! Recently a new Mary Poppins DVD came out and Mary's face was plastered across the front of the package with a halo backdrop as though she were a Biblical figure. It just looked weird.

I think they let anyone with minimal *Photoshop skills design stuff now a-days. Composition is a lost art. I really apprecieate poster art that incopterates setting and environment into the piece. Now all you see are character one sheets or sloppily put together, crowded, and otherwise ugly posters.

I think that's possible, but I feel like the same thing could have been accomplished in Photoshop or Corel Painter. It looks like a digital painting to me. I had a roommate in college who used the same process for her artwork.

* = Believe me, I am not putting down Photoshop. I use it to color my comics and to draw sometimes, though bad Photoshop is obvious and sad.
  4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

The truth about commercial graphic design these days is that firms hire general marketers or interns (who are more telemarketer than trained artist) to drop pre-approved licensed clip art graphics on products. The funny thing is that since many of them are salaried workers or interns they spend twice as long on the composition as a talented and trained artist in order to look busy. That's my experience anyway. A herd of craptastic clockwatchers taking hours on a project that would take an actual graphic designer or an avid fan a fraction of the time to design something thrilling.
  5. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

6. Pork

Pork Active Member

Yay, a new 2D Disney princess movie! When does it come out?
  7. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Well here here in the states it comes out December 11.
  8. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

Actually I think it comes out Christmas Day, doesn't it, :confused:.

By the way I love that poster, I think I might have to find one for my collection.
  9. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I'm not sure. The only day I could find for it was the 11th.

Okay, the official site says it's the 11th.
  10. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

It WAS going to come out on Christmas, but the date was moved up.

I'm glad. My chances of seeing a movie on Christmas Day is 0%
  11. Drtooth

You pretty much described everything in the business and entertainment world for a while now. Clockwatchers? Couldn't have said it better myself.

Remember that set of Muppet playing cards in that tin that had the Chef holding the bottom half of a whisk? And then there were these Simpsons ornaments from like 10 years ago that had really butchered stock art on the boxes... wish I could find said boxes so I could show you.... but they looked worse than bootlegs.
  12. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Considering that the trailer itself specifically emphasises just how hand-drawn and alike to the old films are...spending almost half the trailer showing moments from old movies...WHY is this poster looking like it's something that fell out of a CGI movie?
  13. Drtooth

Actually, I took a closer look at the poster, and it really doesn't appear to be CGI at all. The problem is that a computer graphic, no matter how high the definition is, has a lot of limitations. Upon closer inspection, I did catch what look like colored pencil like marks, or watercolor like marks.... it could very well be that they painted this digitally, and used effects that made it look like a non-digital media piece, which somehow didn't translate well for the jpeg or whatever they used. I wanna know for sure if this was digital or original medium....
  14. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

I can't say for sure, but my inclinations believe me to believe it is a digital painting. It was probably drawn with a Cintiq. (This is pure speculation. Take what I said with a grain of salt.)

From what I understand, the movie is completely paperless as far as animation goes. (I forgot where I read that, so don't quote me on that) It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the poster was sketched, drawn, and colored completely digitally. It really isn't difficult to emulate traditional techniques digitally. Even if it were sketched traditionally and scanned in to complete, it wouldn't take much to drown out any trace that it was ever touched with a pencil.
  15. Drtooth

When it comes to my art, I usually draw things and sketch them out on paper first, scan them, and color/shade/composite them separately. Which explains why I haven't been able to do anything for a while. But enough about that.

You know what I really miss in Disney movies? How they had original artworks when they came to home video. Do they still do this, because I only got like 3 movies on DVD released recently and they appear to have the original art work on them. The Pixar ones look a lot like clip art to me...
  16. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

I can't really think of a release since the Gold Collection DVDs that featured new, original artwork. And like you, I miss the original artwork. I wish they would go back to that format, though I know it is highly unlikely.

Another thing I also miss is unique disk art. The Gold Collection DVDs that I have look really nice. Now they just seem to use clip art in an even worse fashion than the DVDs. I guess it's not important, but it's a nice detail that really takes presentation into account.
  17. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

OMG! I can't wait to see this movie! I actually think Tiana's extremely pretty and well drawn, way more than the overplayed Cinderella, Belle, and Snow White kind of princesses. She sort of reminds me of Nani from Lilo and Stitch and Kida from Atlantis. X3

And the villain...as brief as his appearance was in the trailer...he looks wicked awesome and bad-as. <3 O_O You gotta think back...when did a Disney movie (not counting Pixar) have this epic of an antagonist?

Tarzan? Nah... =P
  18. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

At least Clayton did have a pretty cool death scene.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the villain from The Princess and the Frog. The scenes in the trailer that feature him look pretty cool.
  19. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

I love that trailer, I know I'm a bit late on saying so, but that's cool, :).

I agree though I think that witch doctor is going to be a great edition to the Disney villains.
  20. Count von Count

Count von Count Active Member

I might go see this movie with my sister she big on Disney movies.
    With out her I'm not sure I would go see it.
    I like the animation Disney used on the movie, they have not been useing it lately.
    It's a bit old school animation I think that is cool.