Who's going to see Disney's the Princess and the Frog

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Both trailers are also on You Tube for those who don't favor Quicktime (the Betamax of the web). :wink:

I just can't tell what to think of it yet. It's Disney, traditionally animated and features frogs so it's all good if the story's fit. And it must have music. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
are they trying to ADD another disney princess or something? cause there is no way that this princess is being classified as a "disney princess" unless the movie is awesome and shes owrthy of being up there with ariel, snow white, cinderella, etc.
That's the case here... they want a new princess, and they couldn't have made Enchanted merchandise, since they were to cheap to buy up the actress's likeness.

Remember, for a while, Disney was shunned for making princess films, and when they moved to other things, they were shunned for not making Princess films. Only non-Princess film they made that was a massive success was Lilo and Stitch.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
are they trying to ADD another disney princess or something? cause there is no way that this princess is being classified as a "disney princess" unless the movie is awesome and shes owrthy of being up there with ariel, snow white, cinderella, etc.
Well of course they're trying to add another princess, Disney has made a ton of money off the princess and the fact that this princess is going to be Disney's first black princess will just make Disney want to add her all the more. That way they will have all the basics cover sort to speak to get all little girl behind it. (Note: I'm not saying there isn't any young african american girls don't buy any Disney princess stuff, I'm just saying that it could help get more young african american to buy into it. After all Barbie made a doll to look more african american.)

Only non-Princess film they made that was a massive success was Lilo and Stitch.
Well "The Emperor's New Groove" did ok too. But yeah when it comes to merchandise and creating a new "Disney icon" with Stitch, yeah Lilo and Stitch is Disney's most successful non-princess film within the past 20 years.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Since Disney's Little Mermaid "reboot" of its animation department in 1989 here's how the princess-to-non-princess fare stacks up with original theatrical domestic US totals for the most part. * = princess movie.

The Lion King $312M Domestic
*Aladdin $217M Domestic
Tarzan $171M Domestic
*Beauty & the Beast $145M Domestic
Lilo & Stitch $145M Domestic
*Pocahontas $141M Domestic
*Mulan $120M Domestic
The Hunchback of Notre Dame $100M Domestic
Hercules $99M Domestic
The Emperor's New Groove $89M Domestic
Brother Bear $85M Domestic
*The Little Mermaid $84M Domestic
Atlantis $84M Domestic
Fantasia 2000 $60M Domestic
Home on the Range $50M Domestic
Treasure Planet $38M Domestic
The Rescuers Down Under $28M Domestic

So, it's not all princess films with Disney. The Lion King eats them all by nearly $100M domestic gross. Princess projects are usually the fare of the straight to video cheapquels. Well, they sell. The lineup of classic to modern princesses include: Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan (more or less) and Tiana with Rapunzel to come next year.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well "The Emperor's New Groove" did ok too. But yeah when it comes to merchandise and creating a new "Disney icon" with Stitch, yeah Lilo and Stitch is Disney's most successful non-princess film within the past 20 years.
The ENG was considered a failure at the time, going as far as being shown on network television less than a year after its release. And trust me, I went MAD looking for merchandise, only to find coloring books and standard others like that. I know, I know... people always grouse and whine about how it was supposed to be another movie entirely, and honestly, from the description, it just didn't seem half as interesting or madcap as the final project. I thought things would change, due to the sequel about Kronk and the TV series, but I didn't see so much as a T-shirt since. They did have a few bean bags a year after the movie came out, and I got them all.

So, it's not all princess films with Disney. The Lion King eats them all by nearly $100M domestic gross. Princess projects are usually the fare of the straight to video cheapquels. Well, they sell.
Lion King was the big exception. That movie was huge, didn't rely on a fairy tale... maybe a folk tale... and a little bit of Hamlet (The evil brother killing the king to become king, they just cut out the part about him marrying the mother). And really, The Little Mermaid actually did worse than Brother Bear? I'm shocked.

Nick22

Reaction score
i cant believe brother bear did better than the little mermaid. i hated brother bear. i love the little mermaid. ariel is my favorite disney princess. and the rescuers down under is an awesome movie. should've done better than brother bear.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
i cant believe brother bear did better than the little mermaid. i hated brother bear. i love the little mermaid. ariel is my favorite disney princess. and the rescuers down under is an awesome movie. should've done better than brother bear.
They are 14 years apart. Box office ticket prices used to be much different.

ginabeanud

Reaction score
Another interesting fact is that did you guys know that Giselle from Disney's Echanted was going to be include as a Princess, but Disney realized they would have to pay actress Amy Adams royalties for her likeness and went against that idea.
My niece has a Giselle doll that is so pretty - she's in the pink dress from the cartoon opening.

I must be out of the loop and I'm usually not when it comes to Disney animated movies. The first time I heard about The Princess and the Frog was about a week ago when I read a news story about all the controversy. I will definitely go see it - I'm a sucker for princess movies!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think Brother Bear was a good movie deep down. not a great movie, but it certainly did Native American legend much, much better than Pocahontas... I mean, it's one thing to change fairy tales and stories so that they're more child friendly, and include more characters (for licensing and casting purposes... something that goes all the way back to the beginning with Disney)... but Pocahontas is history. And while there are movies that have gaping historical inaccuracies for the sake of the story, I think Pocahontas took way too many liberties. Most of the cast didn't even exist.... especially that guy that David Stiers played.

But make no mistake... had Brother Bear not featured the classic MacKenzie Brothers reunited as Canadian Moose, it just wouldn't have been that good. They made the movie.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
After watching Pocahontas with a bunch of college students, I will never think about that movie in the same way. "Let's have too many sidekicks!" "Let's completely mess around with history!" "Oooh, lets have a girl on girl water fight!" "Let's colors of the wind work as a translator!" I guess that's what happens when you have twelve writers. One of the really ridiculous things was that Disney did make a nice, albeit historically WRONG, romance between Pocahontas and John Smith. Honestly, their relationship was one of the most passionate Disney ever created. But then they had to make a sequel in which they decided "Oh no, now we had better be historically accurate this time!"

And personally, the moose in Brother Bear were my least favorite part. But to each his/her own. I personally liked Brother Bear. The colors were lovely throughout the movie. I believe it was the last film done at the animation studios in Florida before it was closed. That also holds sentimental value for me.