1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Why is Bert not on Sesame Street much anymore?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by TejaMalhi, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Yes, Bert is still around. I saw him today(I think he was sitting with Ernie) in the street scene of episode #4067 as a member of the audience of Elmo's performance.
  2. CarburetorJane

CarburetorJane New Member

Okay, so now everyone's assured Bert's still alive and bottlecap collecting... Now...

What ever happened to Rosevelt Franklin?
  3. Splurge

Splurge Member

This Bert's not dead.

He's just resting. :D
    Remarkable Bert, isn't he? His pigeons have lovely plumage.

(I hope I haven't brought bigger confusion to people here who don't get my reference.)
  4. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

Unfortunately, Roosevelt Franklin's characters was abandoned some time ago due to unfounded fears that his character was too stereotypical and that his classroom was a bad influence. I don't believe any explanation was given for his absence. He never had much of a role in the street scenes and was basically a "skit muppet." One sad season, I believe his skits just stopped showing up.
  5. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

i myself don't think he was all that bad myself. i might understand why some might have been troubled by the classroom skits. with the loud noise and whilw we all understand kids do act out, it's it's also good to show kids how to act right but why eliminate the whole RF and the classroom skits? i wonder if anyone took offense to The Electric company's Easy Reader? i never heard such stories. they they ceased production of the show around 1976 or 77 witch i think was around the time RF was canned and reruns of TEC were scene up till 1985 if not everywhere certainly in a lot of markets so not much could of been done about ER at that point.
  6. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

Don't forget that there were also some great Roosevelt Franklin skits before he was in the classroom. To me, the best ones were the "blank background" skits where Roosevelt and his mother sang songs about learning. There is also an album with Roosevelt Franklin that featured his brother and sister (I don't know if they ever appeared on the show). I wish more of his early family and friends had been cultivated. There were also a few skits made where Roosevelt Franklin is playing a game of "head ball" in which teams of muppets have tournaments about letter, numbers, etc.
  7. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

oh yeah i rememeber some of those.
  8. Actually, they haven't been focusing on Ernie very much lately either(except for Journey To Ernie), never mind Bert. The only Season 34 episode with a street story that revolved around Ernie was episode #4034(or as I cal it, "Moody Moose Buttons",see my list) in which Ernie puts together a surprise birthday party for Bert, but Bert prefers to be alone and read his new book. In fact, this episode probably revolved more around Bert than it did around Ernie.
  9. Yes, Bert is still around. This morning, in episode #4075, I saw a Bert and Ernie clip for the first time in which Bert sings, "There's a Tiger in My Book." Yes, I've seen the original animated version, but is the Bert and Ernie version new for Season 35?
  10. Mike

Mike New Member

Yeah when I was a kid I liked Ernie better, but only because of the way Ernie and Bert acted with each other. If you wanna have more Ernie, have more Ernie, but you cannot forget Bert. Since they already have the "Journey to Ernie" segments with exclusively Ernie, why can't the following sketch showcase them both?
  11. Actually, except for, "Journey to Ernie" they haven't been focusing much on Ernie lately, either. In Season 35, they didn't do too many street stories revolving around Ernie OR Bert.
  12. zanimum

zanimum New Member

Bert appears in the concert crowd at Hooper's Store in episode 4067, minus Ernie. Ignoring the season premiere episode, where both feature, and Ernie's Journey to Ernie segments, this is the only street appearance of either.
  13. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

But (despite being around for 35 years) have they ever really done a lot of Ernie/Bert street stories? They've mostly always been confined to short skits except for movies and specials. I think this was originally because Jim Henson and Frank Oz were rarely available to tape street segments.
  14. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

Actually, from 1969 throughout the 70's, Ernie and Bert had quite a bit of street time. From the very first season, Ernie and Bert were out on the street discussing "the movie about the number 2" and "the movie about the letter E." Ernie got all choked up over them and Bert explained his reactions to the humans.

Another time, Ernie and Bert were outside, arguing over who was taller. The original Gordon lifts Ernie up to make him taller than Bert.

There was a street plot where Bert moved out of Ernie's apartment and tried to find various new homes on the street, including Oscar's trash can.

Another street plot involved Bert's having amnesia (They made one where Cookie Monster loses his memory too).

Bert was once on the street with all of his band equipment, and inspired the human cast, along with Big Bird, to play music.

Bert meets up with Maria and asks her if she'd like to see his films about pigeons. Maria politely tells him no, but when pressed, she explains that some people might consider it "square" to like such things. ("Square" was a then popular term for "nerd" or "geek"). Bert seems to like this new title and sings a song about being square (Years before the Huey Lewis song and parody).

Another time, Maria mediates an argument between Ernie and Bert and convinces them that they shouldn't run away from one another. Imaginary scenes of their living alone and growing old are presented. (Man, this show used to have an edge to it).

There was a miscellaneous scene where Bert talks about his bottle cap collecting to the humans.

There was a scene at Hooper's Store where Ernie tricks Bert out of his soda (Tom was minding the store in that scene).

One time, Bert jumped out of Oscar's trash can to surprise Big Bird, but Big Bird just thought it was Oscar in "bad shape."

Bob, the kids, along with Ernie and Bert sat outside and discussed things that everyone had in common.

Bert helped Big Bird get to sleep with marching music.

Maria and Bert sat in chairs on the street and pretended that they were in a plane. In their imagination, Bert is the pilot and does some crazy flying. Maria says, "Next time, let ME be the pilot."

Bert was part of what I believe to be the original version of "What's The Name Of That Song" that was sung in the street.

Bert was present as Mr. Hooper celebrated an anniversary of his store being open.

Ernie is watching Hooper's store and Bert is his customer.

There was the famous sing along that took place in Ernie and Bert's bathroom while Bert was in the tub (I'd consider that a street scene since the whole cast from the street was in it).

In addition, there were originally many street scenes with Cookie Monster, Grover, and even Kermit. There used to be a big feeling of community on the show among everyone who lived on Sesame Street. Then, somewhere in the 80's, their roles and appearances seemed to get more rigid and rarely did the "skit muppets" mix with the "street muppets".
  15. Splurge

Splurge Member

Yeah, around that time, Jim and Frank were getting so involved with branching out into the Muppet Show and the Muppet Movies and Dark Crystal they probably could only donate a shorter amount of time to skit muppets. I guess that's the nature of the beast.
  16. So, in answer to the above question, it's barbecue sauce. It is definitely not true.
  17. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

I always disliked bert as a child.. Now I find myself liking him a little more...
    but I always remained a ernie fan...
  18. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

The will show Bert again.
  19. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've noticed that Bert's still on the show on occassion, but not as often as he used to be. It seems like the JTE segments are usually followed by Ernie either with a kid or with another Muppet, usually Elmo. Maybe they should do that instead of "Journey to Ernie" then follow that one by a Bert and Ernie sketch. That might be a good way to get Bert on the show more. Just a thought.
  20. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I remember in some old SS episodes. Bert was on the street taking care of his baby nephew Brad. Brad was a smaller version of Bert only he had red hair and spoke in goo goo noises. Probably Richard Hunt did Brad because he sounded a lot like Beaker.