Why is Bert not on Sesame Street much anymore?

salemfan

Reaction score
Actually, except for, "Journey to Ernie" they haven't been focusing much on Ernie lately, either. In Season 35, they didn't do too many street stories revolving around Ernie OR Bert.

zanimum

Reaction score
Bert appears in the concert crowd at Hooper's Store in episode 4067, minus Ernie. Ignoring the season premiere episode, where both feature, and Ernie's Journey to Ernie segments, this is the only street appearance of either.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
teenintosesame said:
Actually, except for, "Journey to Ernie" they haven't been focusing much on Ernie lately, either. In Season 35, they didn't do too many street stories revolving around Ernie OR Bert.
But (despite being around for 35 years) have they ever really done a lot of Ernie/Bert street stories? They've mostly always been confined to short skits except for movies and specials. I think this was originally because Jim Henson and Frank Oz were rarely available to tape street segments.

Censored

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
But (despite being around for 35 years) have they ever really done a lot of Ernie/Bert street stories? They've mostly always been confined to short skits except for movies and specials. I think this was originally because Jim Henson and Frank Oz were rarely available to tape street segments.
Actually, from 1969 throughout the 70's, Ernie and Bert had quite a bit of street time. From the very first season, Ernie and Bert were out on the street discussing "the movie about the number 2" and "the movie about the letter E." Ernie got all choked up over them and Bert explained his reactions to the humans.

Another time, Ernie and Bert were outside, arguing over who was taller. The original Gordon lifts Ernie up to make him taller than Bert.

There was a street plot where Bert moved out of Ernie's apartment and tried to find various new homes on the street, including Oscar's trash can.

Another street plot involved Bert's having amnesia (They made one where Cookie Monster loses his memory too).

Bert was once on the street with all of his band equipment, and inspired the human cast, along with Big Bird, to play music.

Bert meets up with Maria and asks her if she'd like to see his films about pigeons. Maria politely tells him no, but when pressed, she explains that some people might consider it "square" to like such things. ("Square" was a then popular term for "nerd" or "geek"). Bert seems to like this new title and sings a song about being square (Years before the Huey Lewis song and parody).

Another time, Maria mediates an argument between Ernie and Bert and convinces them that they shouldn't run away from one another. Imaginary scenes of their living alone and growing old are presented. (Man, this show used to have an edge to it).

There was a miscellaneous scene where Bert talks about his bottle cap collecting to the humans.

There was a scene at Hooper's Store where Ernie tricks Bert out of his soda (Tom was minding the store in that scene).

One time, Bert jumped out of Oscar's trash can to surprise Big Bird, but Big Bird just thought it was Oscar in "bad shape."

Bob, the kids, along with Ernie and Bert sat outside and discussed things that everyone had in common.

Bert helped Big Bird get to sleep with marching music.

Maria and Bert sat in chairs on the street and pretended that they were in a plane. In their imagination, Bert is the pilot and does some crazy flying. Maria says, "Next time, let ME be the pilot."

Bert was part of what I believe to be the original version of "What's The Name Of That Song" that was sung in the street.

Bert was present as Mr. Hooper celebrated an anniversary of his store being open.

Ernie is watching Hooper's store and Bert is his customer.

There was the famous sing along that took place in Ernie and Bert's bathroom while Bert was in the tub (I'd consider that a street scene since the whole cast from the street was in it).

In addition, there were originally many street scenes with Cookie Monster, Grover, and even Kermit. There used to be a big feeling of community on the show among everyone who lived on Sesame Street. Then, somewhere in the 80's, their roles and appearances seemed to get more rigid and rarely did the "skit muppets" mix with the "street muppets".

Splurge

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
In addition, there were originally many street scenes with Cookie Monster, Grover, and even Kermit. There used to be a big feeling of community on the show among everyone who lived on Sesame Street. Then, somewhere in the 80's, their roles and appearances seemed to get more rigid and rarely did the "skit muppets" mix with the "street muppets".
Yeah, around that time, Jim and Frank were getting so involved with branching out into the Muppet Show and the Muppet Movies and Dark Crystal they probably could only donate a shorter amount of time to skit muppets. I guess that's the nature of the beast.

salemfan

Reaction score
TejaMalhi said:
Haven't seen him around in a while? I heard he died? Is this trur or BS?
So, in answer to the above question, it's barbecue sauce. It is definitely not true.

Ernie101

Reaction score
I always disliked bert as a child.. Now I find myself liking him a little more...
but I always remained a ernie fan...

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, I've noticed that Bert's still on the show on occassion, but not as often as he used to be. It seems like the JTE segments are usually followed by Ernie either with a kid or with another Muppet, usually Elmo. Maybe they should do that instead of "Journey to Ernie" then follow that one by a Bert and Ernie sketch. That might be a good way to get Bert on the show more. Just a thought.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember in some old SS episodes. Bert was on the street taking care of his baby nephew Brad. Brad was a smaller version of Bert only he had red hair and spoke in goo goo noises. Probably Richard Hunt did Brad because he sounded a lot like Beaker.