Wild Thornberries DVD (interesting development)

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Also, there's word that a block of TeenNick programming WILL feature reruns of older Nicktoons. Words cannot describe the irony of teen and tween programming having more cartoons than the children's line up, but I'm not looking that gift horse in the mouth... even though I DON'T have cable and am unable to enjoy that.
Wasnt that the point of Nicktoons before it turned into a dumping ground for all of Nicks cancelled shows? I'm still trying to figure out why they show The Troop since its not a cartoon. Anyway, I can foresee them starting out with the typical 90s nicktoons then slowly replacing them with the stuff they recently cancelled. Or just add 4 hours of spongebob...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nicktoons was basically Nickelodeon plus, as far as I'm concerned. But the rumors passing around is they're having such problems with their new shows, they want to bring back the old stuff to... well, basically have the angry internet fan base shut up for a change.

I've no idea what's on NT... they have a lot of shows they wouldn't show on Nick like the Marvel Super Hero stuff that didn't go to Disney XD yet and DBZ Kai... but other than that, I've no idea.

Nah, the 90's cartoon line up is set in stone because, well, that's more of the press release:

The release of these DVDs is part of Nickelodeon's commitment to bring back classic shows. Nickelodeon will also launch a new nighttime programming block this fall on TeenNick called "The '90s Are All That!" featuring a rotating selection of iconic live-action and animated shows from Nickelodeon's 1990s.
So, it will also include live action shows... but definately cartoons from the 90's.... though, Spongebob could be repeated as a technicality... it did come out 1999. Problem with SB is it's Nick's ONLY non-preschool hit... and that's before they had the you get one season to be popular regulations.

That said, this gives me like, ZERO confidence in Viacom's TMNT ownership.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
TeenNick (formerly The N, which used to be half of Nick Jr., formerly Noggin) DID air some older live-action Nickelodeon shows during late 2007 and early 2008: that's how I got my fix of strolling down memory lane with my old homies Kenan and Kel!

Erine81981

Reaction score
Yes i read this too and i'm so hoping to see other shows. I went to Wikipidea and saw that "Kenan and Kel, Adventures of Pete and Pete, Amanda's Show, Clarissa Explains it all as well as others. I would love to see Alex Mac too.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I just found a video about the new Block on TeenNick. "The 90's Are All That!" I guess it's from Extra because that's whats on the video up in the right upper hand of the screen. Pretty much Kenan Thompson talks about how much he enjoyed being on Nickelodeon back in the 90's.

Stars from the newer shows of Nickelodeon talk about other stuff but around 3:43 of the video is when Kenan talks about some of the other shows that will be airing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Couple of things...

Rocket Power? I'm glad they're bringing stuff back, but that show NEEDS to be buried in the backyard and forgot about. That show was big on Extreme Sports buzz and short on entertainment. Doug, Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Rocko... those are great shows and I hope they're part of that. I remember Doug being on Noggin around sometime in 2001 or so (because I actually had access to Noggin for a week at someone else's house at the time).

Secondly, not sure I'm loving the fact TMNT will have a celeb voice cast, but I'm also glad that they aren't just getting back the old cast and doing a rehash of that one. GAWD, I hope they don't screw that one up.

Thirdly, CN needs to take this hint and STRONG! Not only a classic block (I have nothing wrong with new programming that's animated, and they plan a whole DC Universe block), but getting Shout to sublicence DVD's out there. The Hall of Fame line up shouldn't die after 3 lousy releases.... well, okay... one pretty thorough release and 2 lousy ones.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You know, I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like Rocket Power

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
You know, I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like Rocket Power
That makes 3. Come to think of it, nobody I knew liked this show either - yet, just like The Wild Thornberrys - Nickelodeon for some reason thought Rocket Power was popular because they showed it all the time. Those two were the Nicktoons that really started the streak of blase Nicktoons.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Rocket Power was pretty popular with the kids when I was younger, but then again, where I come from, sports are worshipped almost as much as God, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to admit, I dig Thornberries, but it hardly competes with Ren and Stimpy, Rocko, Zim... even Spongebob for me. But Rocket Power is the only Nicktoon I've seen I actually hate (even As Told by Ginger was entertaining). But RP comes from that horrid period of the 90's where fat little kids were eating extreme snack cakes with pictures of bike riders on them, drinking Corn Syrup sweetened power drinks with pictures of skateboarders on them, and basically doing anything and everything pertaining to Extreme sports except for the part that actually WAS participating in sport.

yeah, I hated the Extreme Sports fad.... and that hideous buzz word "Extreme"... yuckka!

And the characters sucked too. It's like a BAD version of the Weekenders (which, well... that one actually came later).

I haven't seen any of the new ones, but they're just disposable... they don't even want to bother giving them a chance anymore. Again, worried about TMNT. Want to see Tuff Puppy though...