1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Wild Thornberries DVD (interesting development)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drtooth, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Did you actually buy or see that? Seth had ONE special feature, and it was archival recording of the song he wrote for one episode. He had NOTHING to do with the release otherwise, he was mentioned in passing in the commentary, but he wasn't involved at all.

Butch Hartman, Jeff Bennet, Van Partible and a few others were interviewed and did commentary, Seth only had that archival thing.

No, the culprit is WB's cheapness. These special features cost extra money... money they refuse to spend. The Batman Brave and the Bold DVD sets have NO special features, neither did Tiny Toons volume 2 (when the other at LEAST had an interview with the writers)... I mean, literally nothing. Dexter and Courage were "oh well, at least it's something" type releases, Dexter horridly cut to avoid scarey episodes that 90 year old prudes may get offended by (but, of course, not the collectors with money who want to BUY the things). Did the Courage one even have the WAC that the show was based off of?

That's why I only bothered with the JB release. Lack of special features translates to lack of care. No wonder why they discontinued the CN Legends line as soon as it started. WB does NOT know how to release DVD's people will actually buy... unless it's some lame current sitcom.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

No, and I doubt any other CN show that might ever be released on DVD like Cow and Chicken would either... I've noticed that if the series doesn't somehow incorporate the original WACs into an actual episode (ala JB cobbling together the original WAC, the sequel WAC with the Amazon tribe, and that Jungle Boy WAC into a half-hour episode, likewise, much of Seaosn One of Dexter was composed of the original WACs as well as some of the Monkey WACs), then the WAC versions tend to be obscured. Heck, I remember after series were created, only seeing the respect C&C and Courage WACs at least ONCE: the C&C WAC was actually last broadcasted the weekend the banned "Buffalo Gals" was actually broadcasted, and the only time "The Chicken from Outer Space" was broadcasted since the inception of the Courage series was during a Cartoon Cartoon Weekend event sometime in 2002 or 2003 I believe.
  3. Drtooth

Yeah.

Somehow I get the impression they intended to do more for the other releases, but when they saw how much it cost to get all that good stuff into, they got cheap and just gave us crappy bare bones that we have to be eternally grateful for.

Actually, I remember watching a commentary track for the Space Ghost Coast to Coast DVD I got, and they basically paid everyone who recorded commentary (even a couple of the guests that came back in) with CN merchandise and Ed Edd n Eddy hats.
  4. D'Snowth

I got an EEE hat off eBay years ago, lol.

Well, before the CN Hall of Fame releases, those first two season sets of EEE DID have plenty of special features, including interviews with Danny Antonucci, Scott "Diggs" Underwood teaching how to draw Ed and Eddy, various of those weird post-2004 promos and bumpers and such, the music videos of "My Best Friend Plank"
    and "I'm Not Co,in' In Anymore", etc.
  5. Drtooth

I gotta track down those EEE season sets. Still, it was one of their most popular shiows, you think they'd've given it another chance.

I loved the almost completest stuff the PPG series set came with. I especially liked the documentary. That's the kind of special feature I love BTS documentaries.

JB had one, Courage and Dexter deserved one.
  6. D'Snowth

I'm still waiting for WB to release the other seasons (they stopped after 2, we still have the other three and a partial, plus the finale movie).

But yes, certainly Dexter, since it was CN's first smash hit, and again, at least an interview with Genndy would've been sufficient, not only because he created Dexter, but he's a frequent contributor to CN, what with Samurai Jack, Star Wars Clone Wars, and also practically co-creating PPG.
  7. Drtooth

Considering what happened with Symbiotic Titan, I'd be surprised if he would WANT to do an interview with them now.

But yeah. WB sub-licensed Captain Planet to Shout....

just putting that out there...
  8. Drtooth

Rocko's Modern Life season 2 announced.

But there IS some interesting news. Joe Murray has blogged about how they're trying to get special features on this second season, and he will be more involved with this one... at least to the extent of providing artwork. HOPEFULLY someone can get them to release the rest of the show uncut.
  9. D'Snowth

That's a fix!

And I hope more effort is put into restoring the episodes as well, as that was one of my minor quibbles with Season One how it's obvious they put no effort into restoring the episodes (that, and the episodes were out of order).
  10. Drtooth

I still wanna get season one, but the fact that some of it is edited is bogus. Though I bet that was Nick's fault. I wonder if it also has something to do with them getting only the edited Masters.

Masters bug me. Quite a bit of the time, we get masters that are somehow screwed up. I was VERY unhappy with Lionsgate, getting terrible masters for the TMNT seasons... some had terrible artifacts that look like they came from videos that were stored in a moldy basement. Some episodes looked as if I got a bootlegged copy made off of someone's old terrible taped off TV VHS.

Hopefully everything will be fixed next set. I know Shout had to postpone something (I think it was one of the Japanese Transformer anime sets they released) almost indefinitely because of problems with getting higher quality masters.
  11. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

So I have a question...

I realize that Doug is available on Amazon, but its manufactured on demand. Its also on itunes for half the price. Would I be better off buying it through amazon, or just downloading it through itunes and give my money to the demon of the internet. If the suggestion is the latter, would I be able to burn said episodes to a dvd myself? I dont want that much stuff clogging up my computer
  12. D'Snowth

I wouldn't trust either, because both ways, you're giving your money to the demon of the internet.

I'd recommend just being patient... I mean if these other "forgotten" shows have been seeing official retail DVD releases, then Mr. Funnie just may very well see one some day as well.
  13. Drtooth

I'd wait. You never know if Shout's going to add Doug to the line up or not. Though if that doesn't happen, I'd rather buy the hard copy edition MOD... that way, the files can't get corrupted or lost or wind up clogging the computer as you said.
  14. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Huh...I thought I included something in that post about waiting to see if they put out an actual dvd, apparently I didnt XD :p

I an always enjoy the...whatever number I have DVRed...until my mom decides to clear up memory :smirk:
  15. Drtooth

16. D'Snowth

What;s the point of having "Trash-O-Madness" on the DVD? It says "oringinal pilot version", I guess it would feel more like a WAC as opposed to a regular segment from the series?

At least we get something with Joe Murray, so I'd be interested in looking at that.
  17. D'Snowth

I know I called it, I know I said it would happen, but rully, Nick is CREAMING CN right now with releasing their old hits on DVD... already news is out for like third seasons for a number of old Nick shows that I didn't even know they had released any second seasons of (like Angry Beavers), and we still haven't gotten any new CN Hall of Fame releases or anything like that... get with the program WB, stop being suck cheapskates!
  18. CountFan1998

CountFan1998 Active Member

Why don't they release both kids' and collector's editions on DVD. That way both demographics of retailers are happy! That's what WB wants, right? Happiness and tons o' consumers' money!
  19. Drtooth

Warner Bros DESPERATELY doesn't want to have to release anything that isn't a current sitcom in a season set. Not even their top hits, Adventure Time, Mad, and Regular Show get full season sets... AT and RS get lame 6 episode best ofs, and Mad has to break 26 15 minute segments into half seasons... ones that amount to barely over 6 half hours per set. I'm shocked they even released the second half of the first season of Mystery Inc in one set, instead of the overpriced 4 episodes on a single disk, like it was 1999 again.

Of course, Nick was adamantly refusing to release season sets of ANYTHING on their own. Sure, they did Ren and Stimpy... but Invader Zim was sublicensed to another company, and all these new DVD's are done by Shout. Shout and Mill Creak are the ONLY companies out there that are bothering with full season sets (or partial seasons if they're too big) anymore. It's just "cheaper" to release a set of overpriced DVD's with few episodes on it that don't sell and go directly into the 5 dollar bin than to release 13+ full half hours for a reasonable price.
  20. D'Snowth

Well, I got Rocko Season Two at Walmart, surprisingly... they never carried Season One, and they just happened to have Season Two in their new releases, so I grabbed it, and watched it tonight.

Now, here are the pros and cons:

One pro right off the bat is that the episodes ARE in order this time (I can't believe Nickelodeon/Viacom actually misordered the episodes on the Season One set according to Wikipedia rather than their own official episode guides). The set, however, does have a lot of cons... again, there apparently was no effort to restore the episodes, they appear to be just digital transfer of the prints Nick uses for reruns and such... and yes, I'm sorry to say this Drtooth, but the episodes ARE edited again... no hotel scene in "Road Rash", no Rocko groping a bear's balls in "Hut Sut Raw", etc. As for the special features, the version of "Trash-O-Madness" used was interesting.. the music is different (and kind of annoying IMO), and Rocko's actually yellow in this version (he was digitally recolored for the series version)... and it's also a little shorter, as some scenes were later added for the series so it would be 11 minutes instead of 8. However, the features with Joe Murray are excellent! He does quick/rough sketches of Rocko, Heffer, Filburt, and the Bigheads on a computer tablet, while delving into the conception of the characters, as well as sharing some insight on some of the moments best remembered on the show, such as Heffer being hooked up to the milking machine, Filburt wearing glasses, "Because he touched himself a lot oas a kid", "Leap Frogs" being banned for a while because some parents complained about it.