Worst Muppet Film

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
The Muppets, wheather you agree or not, to surive in the media of today need to do what sells. It's a little sad, but kids today would much rather watch a film like "Muppets From Space" than one like "The Muppet Movie". If they Muppets want to surrive they need to do what sells, otherwise they will become exstinct. It may be disheartning to those who expect the Muppets to stay at the same level of exceptance, but as time goes on what is and is not appropriate changes, and the Muppet do to. The Muppets are not more "adult" now, children of today are. When I was a kid I would have been shocked by some of the things the Muppets do today, but the kids of today are shocked they aren't doing more. Things are changing. So if you see more sex jokes (for adults/teens), potty humor (for kids..and even adults/teens), it just means the Muppets are evolving to meet the market and build up more viewers. They are a prime part of a business, they need to make money, otherwise they will dissappear. As the market changes, so will the Muppets. It may be sad and disturbing, but it is what needs to be done to survive. Call it selling out, call it stupid, call it whatever you want, but it is putting more money in the pockets of the decision makers so I doubt they will change their ways. If the Muppets did not evolve with current media trends they would be squashed by the ones who do. They do what sells, and that's the way the industry is.

It's Show Business ... not Show Art

:smirk:

Frogster

Reaction score
Gelfling Waldo,
I agree to the fact that the Muppets have to change. It is what sells, and change occurs all the time. Besides, the Muppet Company isn't going to get on this website and listen to a bunch of forum whiners who, in their mind, think that we have nothing better to do than to talk about how many times we've seen Kermit's sleeve at the bottom of the camera, or count how many times we've heard Fozzie go "Wocka wocka." We should be happy that they're doing what they can. You have to remember, the Jim Henson Hour didn't work, and Jim was still alive. You can live in the past and complain about the new voices, like I have, or you can watch the newcomers with admiration. You have to try and care. Remember who these characters are and why we love them. Am I right?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Frogster said:
We should be happy that they're doing what they can...You can live in the past and complain about the new voices...or you can watch the newcomers with admiration.
Amen :zany:

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Muppets will live ON!

Well gang it seems that my voice will not be heard.

I thought the Jim Henson Hour worked very well and I enjoyed it very much.

How do you love something and hold it dear when deep down inside it makes you feel uncomfortable and yucky.

I completely realize that the Muppets and Disney alike have had to do things to stay in business, to stay a float. But the complete lack of values and disregard of morality, the sick almost punch drunk humor is a hard pill to swallow.

I work in advertising, and I know how important it is to stay in the market and provide your viewers with what sells. But that is because we listen to the consumer, and if consumers began to change...one person at a time...well then eventualy the advertising has to change and eventuly ..we could turn the world around.

If we sit back relax and accept that which we do not like, willing to accept a slack in moral value because it is what sells, then what is stopping the Muppets, or if you will the Janet Jackson’s of the world from going topless. The Muppets taught me that one person can make a difference, and I am going to stick to my guns on the matter, no matter how much ridicule I have to endure. I also have to thank all of you because you are true Muppet fans like me, and with out us the Muppets would have died out long ago. So with this new merger with Disney CO. lets see if we can begin to make things change.
:smile:
(I never thought the Muppets would stay the same, I thought they would continue to get better and better, not worse.)

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
The Good Doctor said:
(I never thought the Muppets would stay the same, I thought they would continue to get better and better, not worse.)
I guess it all depends on your personal definiton of what is "better". I guess their are two large groups of Muppet fans (the ones who like the older cleaner more family-friendly, timeless Muppets, and the ones who like the newer irrevent, potty-humor, modern Muppets), I guess the Muppets need to find the middle ground, or go towards the larger group's ideals (which everone that is). But I think there are still things that all Muppet fans can agree on, and the whole purpose of this site is to unite the fans, so let's not get diffrences like this to divide us. We need to agree to disagree on somethings. I personaly like all the Muppet productions and don't think the older ones are "too old-fashioned, childish or too clean"; and I don't think the new ones are "too adult, rude, or cheap". I think no matter what the Muppets do, it will be great. Not every production needs to be a "work of art" to make me happy. But that's just me. Every fan is intitled to thier own opinion on what makes the Muppets great, and that is what makes Muppet fans so great...we are so diverse, and that's ok.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Good Idea

I agree to disagree. :smile:

When Jim Henson died I thought the Muppets were lost as well, that that would be the end. But it wasn't the end; it was the beginning of something new, weird and wild, and exciting.

I am very glad that Disney has bought the Muppets; I think that is a good because the magic is of the same vane.

Most of all I am glad the Kermit is till around, because no matter what he is my hero.

"We need to agree to disagree on something’s. I personally like all the Muppet productions and don't think the older ones are "too old-fashioned, childish or too clean"; and I don't think the new ones are "too adult, rude, or cheap." Not every production needs to be a "work of art" to make me happy. But that's just me. Every fan is entitled to their own opinion on what makes the Muppets great, and that is what makes Muppet fans so great...we are so diverse, and that's ok."

Just like the Muppets them selves, there fans are a diverse group of fun loving friends, who may not agree, but at least can share their toys.
:attitude:

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
How do I get the quotes to show up like you guys all do. So that I do not have to edit copy and paist them into my new post.
Thankd for the help.

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
:cry: Tutter says...

I haven't seen a lot of the muppet movies. And i thought I was obsessed.

I'll put the ones I've seen in order of preference, startin with my fave!!

Muppet*Vision 3-D (if that counts)
Muppets Xmas Carol
Muppets From Space
Muppets Take Manhatten
Merry Muppet Xmas
Labyrinth (CREEPY movie! David Bowie was perfect for that role)
Muppet Treasure Island

I dont really like Treasure Island and I think I know why. Piggy isnt in it till quite near the end. That's when it starts getting fun. I guess there's a few titters here and there, but no howls of laughter!

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Worst

I have not seen all the muppet films yet myself, but I did happen to buy Dream Child. It is a strange film about the grown up Alice in Wonderland, and the puppetry gives an indication of what was to come in the Hallmark hall of Fame TV film Alice in Wonderland.

For now I am standing by Muppets from Space and Very merry Muppet Christmas or what ever the heck it was called as my 2 worst Muppet films.

Has any one talked about Disney's 1985 Return To OZ yet? The JHC provided mnay of the puppets used in that film, and as puppetry goes it is really great to see what they did with the characters. Unfortunately the story is weaker, it combines the first 3 L. Frank Baum books into one story. It would have been better if they just made 3 different films in my view.