You may be an 80's child if...

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
My friends and I went as Smurfs (and Gargamel) one year for Halloween! :smile:

There are actually 3 female smurfs, Smurfette, Sassette, and Nanny.. but here's what's really neat.. Smurfette was actually created by Gargamel to destroy the Smurfs - as a brunette... the magic potion that created her included: Sugar & spice but nothing nice... crocodile tears... a bird brain... the tip of an adder's tongue... a pack of white lies... a cat's slyness... the peacock's vanity... the chatter of a magpie... the guile of a vixen... the disposition of a shrew ... and the hardest stone for her heart.... Papa Smurf's magic later changes her from evil to good (& her hair color)... how strange is that? :zany:

EDIT: on 2nd thought, maybe I shouldn't admit I know so much about Smurfs :concern:
I do remember that Smurfette was created by Gargamel...but I never knew about the other stuff! Thanks for the info, man!

anytimepally

Reaction score
I was really into Masters of the Universe. I watched the TV show religiously, had many of the action figures and had the Castle Greyskull playset. Never had Snake Mountain, though. THAT'S what I REALLY wanted, especially since it had that cool microphone-thingy, that when spoken into, would alter your voice.

Strangely, I must have grown out of my He-Man days by '87, because, to this day, I have never seen the movie with Dolph Lundgren and Frank Langella.

It would be nice, though, to see a new live-action Masters movie, with really rad special effects. I'd love to see it as a dark, gritty action epic.
I had everything except the Stratos action figure, but sometime in the early 90s, they all got taken to Goodwill without my knowledge

As for the movie, Frank Langella is absolutely brilliant as Skeletor.. beyond that, it's just OK.. the mistake was in bringing He-Man to Earth

They were planning a new live-action movie back in 2002 with John Woo directing and Adam Rifkin writing the script.. the script was written, but the rights have since reverted back to Mattel.. the word is that if the Transformers movie does well, this might be revived

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
They were planning a new live-action movie back in 2002 with John Woo directing and Adam Rifkin writing the script.. the script was written, but the rights have since reverted back to Mattel.. the word is that if the Transformers movie does well, this might be revived
Really? Now that would be interesting! A Woo-directed Masters of the Universe!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
We used to trade He-Man figures all over my neighborhood (and Garbage Pail Kids too!). We also used to play He-Man in Kindergarden too. My best friend always got to be He-Man/Prince Adam, and because I was "the nerdy kid" I always had to be Orko... I hated being Orko.

FuzzMonkey

Reaction score
I had about every He-Man figure ever made, but they are all gone now. I also had Snake Mountain and the Evil Horde slime pit. That was my favorite of all. I remember how excited I was when I heard A MOTU movie was coming out. Then I was so disappointed when I saw it. None of my friends liked it either. Why was it set on Earth? Why did they create new characters instead of just using the ones they already had? So many questions. It would be great if they did a new version and kept it true to the animated series. But who could play He-Man?

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
We used to trade He-Man figures all over my neighborhood (and Garbage Pail Kids too!). We also used to play He-Man in Kindergarden too. My best friend always got to be He-Man/Prince Adam, and because I was "the nerdy kid" I always had to be Orko... I hated being Orko.
Oh yeah, Garbage Pail Kids were big with us little screwballs on the playground. Oh happy day whenever a new set was issued! We'd trade 'em all the time. I had quite a collection. Wish I still had 'em. I hear original Garbage Pail Kids sets can fetch a pretty penny these days.

As for He-Man, I actually liked Orko. I don't know why, but he was one of my favorite characters. I had the action figure too, that came with that plastic key thing that would make him spin around when pulled.

Let's see. The He-Man action figures I had were...

He-Man
Prince Adam
Skeletor
Battle Armor Skeletor (was that the name of it?)
Ram-Man
Man-at-Arms
Moss Man (remember he had that funky smell?)
Orko
Man-E-Faces
Zodiac
Mer-Man
Beast-Man

And probably a few more. As I said above, I had the Castle Greyskull playset, too.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I had about every He-Man figure ever made, but they are all gone now. I also had Snake Mountain and the Evil Horde slime pit. That was my favorite of all. I remember how excited I was when I heard A MOTU movie was coming out. Then I was so disappointed when I saw it. None of my friends liked it either. Why was it set on Earth? Why did they create new characters instead of just using the ones they already had? So many questions. It would be great if they did a new version and kept it true to the animated series. But who could play He-Man?
I remember some of my friends telling me the movie was a disappointment. I never knew the film was set on earth or had new characters. Did they ever make any action figures based on the characters created for the movie?

anytimepally

Reaction score
I remember some of my friends telling me the movie was a disappointment. I never knew the film was set on earth or had new characters. Did they ever make any action figures based on the characters created for the movie?
they did make action figures for Blade, Karg, & Saurod.. they were new minions of Skeletor.. the only regular henchmen in the movie were Evil-Lyn and Beastman.. no Tri-Klops, Trap-Jaw, Whiplash, Merman.. or any of the ones we knew from the cartoon.. and Karg in particular was just a stupid character :grouchy:

there was also one new good guy, Gwildor.. sort of an Orko replacement for the movie, since they didn't have the budget for a flying character.. in fact the Director, David O'Dell (who got his start as a writer on The Muppet Show), had to spend money from his own pocket to film the final scene..

the movie was such a flop that the planned sequel, in which Skeletor was to have been a cyborg was made into a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie instead

EDIT: ok, I did some checking and Karg never actually had an action figure, but the other three new characters did

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
they did make action figures for Blade, Karg, & Saurod.. they were new minions of Skeletor.. the only regular henchmen in the movie were Evil-Lyn and Beastman.. no Tri-Klops, Trap-Jaw, Whiplash, Merman.. or any of the ones we knew from the cartoon.. and Karg in particular was just a stupid character :grouchy:

there was also one new good guy, Gwildor.. sort of an Orko replacement for the movie, since they didn't have the budget for a flying character.. in fact the Director, David O'Dell (who got his start as a writer on The Muppet Show), had to spend money from his own pocket to film the final scene..

the movie was such a flop that the planned sequel, in which Skeletor was to have been a cyborg was made into a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie instead

EDIT: ok, I did some checking and Karg never actually had an action figure, but the other three new characters did
Huh. Interesting. Skeletor as a cyborg?:smirk:

Why bother creating new characters when there were so many great ones to choose from?

FuzzMonkey

Reaction score
What the heck was Karg anyway? Blade was the guy with the sword and the eye patch, Saurod was a lizard man, who was actually pretty cool, Gwildor was like a red headed troll, but what was Karg? He was like a skunk man or something.

Here are the figures they made on. They don't look nearly as good as the film versions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUILDOR-MOTU-Mo...ryZ18989QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLADE-MOTU-Movi...ryZ18989QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAUROD-MOTU-Mov...ryZ18989QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem