Your Fave And Least Fave Movies Of 2011?

beaker

Reaction score
It's that time of year again!

My Top 10 movies of 2011:

1 The Descendents
2 Midnight In Paris
3 Beginners
4 TIE: The Muppets & Cedar Rapids
5 Biutiful
6 Drive
7 Rango
8 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
9 The Rum Diary
10 Trigun Badland Rumble

My least fave films of 2011:

Battle Los Angeles, Thor, Green Lantern, Xmen Origins, Pirates of the Carribean, The Tree of Life, The Beaver, etc

Films I really wanted to see but didnt get to yet:
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Shame, TinTin, etc.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm going to have to say The Muppets is the top favorite, with Rango closely behind. I did like Kung Fu Panda 2 and Captain America... Cars 2 was pretty fun. I dug Puss in Boots, but that one was weird... I would say my least favorite was the Smurfs, had I not seen Yogi Bear New Years day. Technically that was last year's movie, but that's when I saw it. Smurfs at least had some good moments with Hank Azaria... Yogi had NOTHING going for it. Hoodwinked 2 gets a dishonorable mention for what the studio did to the original writers, but I kinda liked some of it. Green Lantern I'm on the fence about. The sequel just HAS to be better just by having Sinestro as the villain.

Didn't get to see TinTin or Sherlock Holmes yet... and Tin Tin was the movie I was looking second most forward to. Really didn't see all that much this year.

I kinda wish I saw Rio, but I never did... I definately did not want to see X-Men (I never really cared for or was impressed by the movies, and I heard Wolverine was horrible)... kinda wanted to see Thor. I'm NOT bothering with the third Chipmunks movie... uh... Arthur Christmas I'd give a chance if it ever hit television, but I just hate how Prep and Landing the film looks. I'd give a shot to Hugo maybe...

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Just saw this thread. There's still a ton of 2011 movies I have to see (I'll probably post a more comprehensive top 25 closer to the Oscars), but here's my top 15 list based on what I've seen in 2011.
  1. The Muppets
  2. Hugo
  3. 50/50
  4. Drive
  5. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
  6. The Descendents
  7. The Guard
  8. Source Code
  9. Win Win
  10. X-Men: First Class
  11. Arthur Christmas
  12. Winnie the Pooh
  13. Rango
  14. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
  15. Bridesmaids
And now the bottom 5!
  1. Green Lantern
  2. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
  3. The Hangover Part II
  4. Cars 2
  5. The Debt
And that's that. :fishy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cars 2 was decent, I enjoyed it quite a deal more than the first, but it's not something I was really looking all that forward to. I liked Kung Fu Panda 2, Winnie the Pooh, and Puss in Boots, but my favorite animated movies of the year were Rango and TinTin. I hate that TinTin's like at #5 in the Box Office and destined not to launch interest in America, or even a film franchise (the movie SOOOO opens up the possibility of another one). Also kinda disappointed there's not much merchandise for TinTin outside of some TY Bean bags, and very disappointed Rango got a kid's meal and that's it. A series of high quality PVC's or something for Rango would have been great. There's such an amazing sculpt potential for those characters, and unless Neca does a "film legends" line or something, I don't think we'll ever see anything. Rango does seem destined to be a cult film.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Cars 2 was decent, I enjoyed it quite a deal more than the first, but it's not something I was really looking all that forward to.
Well, I don't really go see too many bad movies. Green Lantern I got dragged to by a friend who insisted it would be amazing (he has since gotten his head checked out and is okay now :stick_out_tongue:), Pirates I saw because, well, it's Pirates (and for the Muppets teaser) and The Hangover I had a feeling would be a stinker but since I always see what movie is #1 on Memorial Day weekend every year, I knew I had to see it. Cars 2 was the only one of those bottom 5 I was looking forward to with strong optimism, even post-critical bashing. I'll say this: when the focus was on McQueen and the World Grand Prix, and especially when we were in Radiator Springs, the movie was A-OK, very much passable in my eyes. The animation is also the best Pixar has done, but I say that every time one of their movies comes out. When we were on Mater being a spy, the movie got pretty ridiculous. As a whole, as a standalone movie, it was fun, if a bit generic. As a Pixar movie, it was a complete disaster. So it was a really a let-down for me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, I wasn't expecting much of it. I think I love it for the whole conspiracy theory about alternative fuels in the hands of big oil, and the fact that the first one spent so much time in a muddy town, and this one was far more visually appealing. I dig the plotline of the first movie better, but it was overall just a better visual feel for the film.

The spy thing was a weird concept, and I really wish there was more time spent with Lightning and Francesco, and it almost seemed like some sort of Saturday morning Cars cartoon episode stretched into movie length. But I think they pulled it off, just barely. I kinda liked some of the inside car jokes (the ones I got anyway). Still, the movie's main purpose was basically to sell little die cast cars, and this wasn't really going to wow anyone over the age of 7. Then you take one of the best films Pixar ever did, Ratatouille, and that was the one that wasn't a commercial hit. The food snob plotline and dialogue went over the heads of the younger audience... Cars 2 was clearly made for them. Of course, it's also nice to see a Pixar film without bawling at the beginning or the end. But this movie only made me that much hungrier to see Brave. Pixar's at its best when humans are the focus of their movies.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
It's that time of year again!

Battle Los Angeles, Thor, Green Lantern, Xmen Origins, Pirates of the Carribean, The Tree of Life, The Beaver, etc

t.
I agree with you on all these movies. They were just so bad.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Well, I don't really go see too many bad movies. Green Lantern I got dragged to by a friend who insisted it would be amazing (he has since gotten his head checked out and is okay now :stick_out_tongue:), Pirates I saw because, well, it's Pirates (and for the Muppets teaser) and The Hangover I had a feeling would be a stinker but since I always see what movie is #1 on Memorial Day weekend every year, I knew I had to see it. Cars 2 was the only one of those bottom 5 I was looking forward to with strong optimism, even post-critical bashing. I'll say this: when the focus was on McQueen and the World Grand Prix, and especially when we were in Radiator Springs, the movie was A-OK, very much passable in my eyes. The animation is also the best Pixar has done, but I say that every time one of their movies comes out. When we were on Mater being a spy, the movie got pretty ridiculous. As a whole, as a standalone movie, it was fun, if a bit generic. As a Pixar movie, it was a complete disaster. So it was a really a let-down for me.
Well, I saw it in 3D. I always love seeing movies in 3D. It adds a whole new feeling to the movie. The actual movie was OK-ish. I enjoyed it more than the first one, I can't even sit through the whole first one. it wasn't a great Pixar movie but if it was another studio that made it, it would have been fine.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Who wanted to see The Beaver? Who was that for? I mean, if Mel Gibson really wanted to suck up to his audience and be all apologetic, they shoulda just made another Lethal Weapon. Gibson was kicked out of Hangover 2 by all involved. I'm starting to think the mere mention of him being in that film was a publicity stunt.

Even if Mel Gibson wasn't in it, it was still a stupid plot for a film.

In retrospect, I wish I saw Cars 2 in 3-D... I was hungry and wanted something after the movie let out, and I wouldn't have enough for both, so I saw it 2-D. That really seems to be THE movie to see in 3-D.