Your Fave And Least Fave Movies Of 2011?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why the heck couldnt they get the people who made the Men In Black/Godzilla late 90's cartoon, the French made US released Fantastic Four 2006 cartoon or the GI Joe Renegades studio to make a 2d TMNT? I LOVE the look of those cartoons, or anything Peter Chung does. Imagine a Peter Chung TMNT. It woulda looked amazing...but noooooo. They have to go with not just cgi...but from the concept and preview I saw, the worst cgi this side of Mickey Mouse club. Barf.
I really liked the tone and style of the 2k3 series. I have to say, stylistically, I liked the 2k3 series more than the old cartoon. Of course, I kinda liked last season of the old series where they added more detail to the turtles, making them look a little like the movie animatronics. I'm not thrilled with the original conceptual stuff they have for the new series, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt until I see the final results. They could easily have worked on the look since then, they could just look the same. I wish they'd do 2-D as well... but it all depends on how the final project comes together. The only cartoon show that had a look so revolting it kept me from watching was Problem Solverz... that's the most hideous thing I've ever seen.

But sadly there is absolutely no cgi projects coming out that get me excited. Brave? Meh. Paranorman...but upon closer inspection its stop motion(so slick it fooled me to thinking it was cgi) Goon looked amazing from the teaser, but the project got cancelled. Gatchaman looked amazing, going from the teaser trailers. I remember being in awe of the MvA concept art. But nothing coming up cgi movie has me excited at all. Least theres the Tron 2d cartoon. I WISH The Governator didnt get canned, as I loved the classic 90's look to it.
Paranorman fooled me too. It is indeed stop motion, but it looks so much like CGI, right down to the character designs being very CGI stylized. Still, it didn't really wow me outside of the craft. But then again, I've seen trailers that just sucked and weren't at all right for the movie, so benefit of the doubt.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I make it a point to avoid movies I know I wont like, so I usually am very successful at seeing movies I know I'll like. This year was no exception.

Movies I really liked (in order):
  1. The Muppets
  2. 50/50
  3. Bridesmaids
  4. Beginners
  5. Midnight in Paris
  6. Blue Valentine (which I know came out in 2010, but I saw it this year in theaters so I'm counting it)
  7. Crazy Stupid Love
  8. Tintin
  9. Deathly Hallows Part II
  10. War Horse
  11. Sherlock Holmes 2
  12. Winnie the Pooh
  13. The Help
  14. Horrible Bosses
Movies I didn't like: Pirates of the Caribbean 4, Cedar Rapids, Hangover II
I forgot about Horrible Bosses - I saw that one and was pleasantly surprised by it, I really liked it! It didn't get great reviews but I thought it was hilarious. I love Charlie Day because I'm an Always Sunny fan too, but even aside from him being in it, it was really quite good!

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Aww poo:frown: I consider Cedar Rapids one of the best comedies Ive ever seen. I cant stand the Hangover tho, and POTC 4 succccked. I was surprised by Horrible Bosses! And I loved Crazy Stupid Love. AND someone else who has Midnight in Paris and Beginners in their top five. AMAAAAAZING films. I need to see Tintin soon.

Did The Help capture the 60's accurately? It looked too modern to look like an authentic time piece. Also...death hallows 2? I also need to see 50/50...Im a big levitt fan
The reason why I like Cedar Rapids is becuase it's Ed Helms, and i just love Ed Helms especially in The Office

Puckrox

Reaction score
Aww poo:frown: I consider Cedar Rapids one of the best comedies Ive ever seen. I cant stand the Hangover tho, and POTC 4 succccked. I was surprised by Horrible Bosses! And I loved Crazy Stupid Love. AND someone else who has Midnight in Paris and Beginners in their top five. AMAAAAAZING films. I need to see Tintin soon.

Did The Help capture the 60's accurately? It looked too modern to look like an authentic time piece. Also...death hallows 2? I also need to see 50/50...Im a big levitt fan
I dunno, Cedar Rapids just was not funny for me at all. I normally love Ed Helms (I love the first Hangover and him on The Office) so I dunno. I strongly recommend 50/50. It was a million times better than I thought it was going to be. I haven't laughed so hard and cried so hard in a movie in such a long time.

I forgot about Horrible Bosses - I saw that one and was pleasantly surprised by it, I really liked it! It didn't get great reviews but I thought it was hilarious. I love Charlie Day because I'm an Always Sunny fan too, but even aside from him being in it, it was really quite good!
I love Charlie because of Philadelphia! And yeah, I just thought it was an enjoyable, funny film. Don't know if I'll ever watch it again, but I certainly had a great time watching it in theaters. :smile:

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Thus far, I hadn't really seen a lot of movies last year (though that will change, as I'm planning to catch "Tintin" before it leaves theatres), but the best ones I've seen were "The Muppets", followed by "Rango" (which is seriously brilliant). "Super 8" and "POTC 4" were ok (the missionary character saved that movie for me).

The worst movie for me would have to be "Crazy, Stupid, Love", which for me was exactly what it said on the tin, only with emphasis on the first two words. :rolleyes: Then again, my deep loathing for all things chick flick and RomCom might have made me biased. Gah, that movie was terrible (though not quite as terrible as last year's worst movie, The Last Airbender).

Yorick

Reaction score
I just wanted to say one little thing about CGI films. As much as I think pre-CGI animation should come back in theaters too, I also know that I've quite enjoyed a CGI film even if it was a little creaky. Think of the stop-motion of days of old...it wasn't always fluid, but you can still dig the designs, and once you get lost in the story, you believe in all the characters anyway, if it's done well. I'm not saying it's wrong to want perfection in the CGI - that's fine :smile: But I just wanted to say that it won't make or break a film for me.

However, when it's a film with live action and CGI mixed, I've often seen films in the past where I wish they had used puppets or something instead, since the CGI looks so fake.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
However, when it's a film with live action and CGI mixed, I've often seen films in the past where I wish they had used puppets or something instead, since the CGI looks so fake.
Yeah the biggest lie in the movie industry is that CGI looks more realistic. It doesn't, lol. At least not by itself. I think Gollum was a successful blend of human performance with the help of CGI.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I actually DON'T want my CGI to be realistic. At least when it comes to fully CGI animated movies. As much as I dig Shrek, I honestly never cared for the look, where as I think Dreamworks found a good blend of cartoonish stylization starting with Madagascar. Pixar never felt like they had to make things look hyper realistic. Sure, they add layers of hair and or skin texturing.. but they manage to stylize humans and animals enough to keep a cartoonish look... even in, and especially in, serious films like Up. I never liked the look of that Final Fantasy movie... TinTin just manages to get away with being realistic and stylized at the same time. I'm by no means a fan of MoCap, but I think they did a better job... if anything the movie was so well written, you'd hardly notice.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I have not been to the theaters at all this year, so I'm going by DVD release date. So, if some of these movies hit theaters in 2010, I'm sorry

Best:
Megamind
Black Swan (I was against seeing this as I thought it was a ballet drama. Good thing I agreed to it seeing as how I enjoy stories about people's failing mental stability going into insanity. Heh...)
Drive Angry (I'm sorry, I don't care what people say, I like Nick Cage :stick_out_tongue:)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Roderick Rules
Fright Night (I never saw the original, so one I see it I could change my mind)

Meh:
Larry Crowne
I am Number Four
Red Riding Hood (Borders on "meh" and "worst")

Worst:
The Last Exorcist
Jack@$$ 3D (WHY DID I WATCH THIS?!?! I needed a brain bleach after this one)
Paranormal Activity 2
Apollo 18
Scream 4

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know if I should count this, since I saw it yesterday (finally), but it was released last year... it's DTV but I'm counting it anyway..

Phineas and Ferb: Across the Second Dimension... Disney usually manages to do a good job when they make movies based on currently running cartoons... but this one I'd put up there with Teachers Pet and Recess: School's Out. The animation was better (though we saw characters at angles we don't usually see them in, and they look kinda funky), it didn't feel like an extended episode, yet it didn't betray it's TV show roots... they kept the same exact style of humor, and they took everything that happened over the course of that summer into the story... it almost felt worthy of being the series finale, but I hope it isn't.

But it's a stone cold shame Disney didn't release this to theaters. It deserved a limited theatrical release instead of being unceremoniously dumped on television and DVD.