Your Thoughts: Kermit and Miss Piggy on America's Got Talent

theprawncracker

Reaction score
RedPiggy said:
@ TheMonsterAteMe: LOL. I refer you to Bewitched, Roseanne, and the Muppets. How many times did the Muppets switch performers for no apparent reason other than they could? It's not like Jerry Nelson wasn't there to do Floyd. It's not like Richard Hunt wasn't available for Janice. Recasts happen. They DO kinda hope you don't notice or don't care.
Yes, but said recasts do not and have never happened to fifty five year old MAJOR characters. Icons, symbols--Kermit the Frog. It just doesn't happen unless it HAS to. Sure, Scooter can be tossed around. So can Robin and Lew and others, but, let's face it. Kermit is a character that takes a LOT of practice to learn and understand. You know that, Kelly, from your fan-fics. I don't mean this post as an attack against you, Kelly. Just thought I'd say this again. :stick_out_tongue:

Kermit should NOT be recast after 19 years of Steve. It's uncalled for and not a good idea--especially at this point. We can't start over. Not after all that's been established WITH Steve. I'm all for having a back-up plan, just in case, but those back-ups should NOT be performing the characters on national TV--no matter how good they may be.

Luke

Reaction score
I've had time to think it over. Based on the vocals and the "stiffness" ... I think the sub was going for Jim's zen-Kermit.
I really don't get why a few people are saying he sounds like Jims Kermit ... other than the first few words he sounds nothing like it at all. Either people need to go back and remind themselves of Jim performances or Muppet Central needs hearing tests. :embarrassed:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Kermit should NOT be recast after 19 years of Steve. It's uncalled for and not a good idea--especially at this point. We can't start over. Not after all that's been established WITH Steve. I'm all for having a back-up plan, just in case, but those back-ups should NOT be performing the characters on national TV--no matter how good they may be.
At what point did I say he was? You know why it takes forever for a character to be recast? Because they weren't bright enough to have an understudy while the performer was still performing. It seems it has finally started occurring to them that the performers aren't immortal or willing to spend an eternity with the Muppets. Explain to me how Steve dropping cold right now wouldn't end up with the character being silent again for maybe years until they found "someone" ... and then we would have the inevitable flame war afterward. I just don't get that last sentence -- what is the point of a backup if you don't intend to use it when it's needed? If Steve didn't have anything better to do with his day -- he would have been there. Simple as that. He wasn't. So they used the backup, rough as that was. I would much rather them be dealing with this now, not when Steve either quits or dies. I mean, Big Bird is iconic too -- I don't recall seeing this level of flame that it's heresy that Caroll Spinney isn't always in character.

And since it sounds like you were commenting on my fics with Kermit in them, and not my reviews of fics by others ... I see Kermit as a character who had to learn the hard way that "dreams" don't just poof into existence. It takes blood, sweat and tears to get what you want. You have a "country kid" who was tempted by some random agent just passing through, had stars in his eyes, but then had to deal with (shall we say) setbacks ... LOTS of them ... in order to get even anywhere close to where he wanted. You are free to criticize me, of course. However, I don't see where I'm too off the mark. I just don't write comedies. Feel free to write an article for your blog that discusses how I've ruined such a beloved character. I'm certain it would be educational.

edit:

Luke said:
I really don't get why a few people are saying he sounds like Jims Kermit ... other than the first few words he sounds nothing like it at all. Either people need to go back and remind themselves of Jim performances or Muppet Central needs hearing tests.
I. Said. Going. For. I didn't say it was successful. But he obviously wasn't going for Steve's.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I mean if you look at all that Steve has said about the "Save The Muppet" Campaine a few years ago and how aginst he was to having more then one preformre for the classic Muppets, this to me sounds very odd.
I agree with what Ryan has said, and think he is right. Steve and Kermit are now one, and one with out the other is really not right. I mean even if it was a last second thing they could have at least got one of the origanal prefromers like Dave Bill, or some one. Who was it that took over Ernie on the last season of "Play with the Sesame"? could he have done it? There are so many un answered questions right now that need answering. The main one is Steve ok, and Still with the Muppets?

Beauregard

Reaction score
...to me it says a lot about how Diz really regard the Mups that they even contemplated putting an alternate performer in something this big. It baffles me. They say everything about how they respect the Muppets and they let something obviously little rehearsed and last minute go ahead .. regardless of the performers, wheres the quality control?
Now here is where the real issue is. Performer or not, what were DISNEY thinking? I agree it looked little rehearsed, and it really does show how much they think of the Muppets if they felt this was going to not cause a stir, or a problem, or create a bad reaction towards the Muppets. Youtube comments (as we've mentioned) suggest that even non-fans knew something was amis...

But aside from the Kermit thing, what did this appearance really GIVE to the Muppets? Some extra public awareness maybe? But in that case, it should have been SUPREMELY good. I just fail to see the point of raising the public awareness of sub-par Muppets (Piggy excepted. LOVE her.)

When you say "new performers" it sounds like you are suggesting this isn't a "one off" and the whole alternate performers thing is going ahead as per the vision years ago. Is that the case?
I think when he says 'new performers' he's referring to the guys who were being considered as performers back when the One Voice campaign came into being.

P.S. I love how we are all weighing in on this with one opinion or anther. I haven't seen people this divided (and devoted) since Mwoo.

muppetinsider

Reaction score
Yes, but Steve is also looking out for himself and maintaining some kind of consistent work. If he was not Kermit he would at this point have to start up his own line of work as he would not be able to make a living for himself.
So, with that said, good for him for having a somewhat decent gig for almost 20 years, however maybe not so good for the character, unfortunately.