Your Thoughts: Kermit and Miss Piggy on America's Got Talent

Beauregard

Reaction score
So what ever happend to the save the Muppet thing? Do we need to start that thing up again?
Probably not. Or, that's what we're hoping. That this guy was an understudy, and was forced (goodness only knows how!) to stand in for Kermit. I do honestly understand the need for such a person, as has been discussed, Big Bird has one that Matt fellow ruffling his feathers from time to time.

But I don't think we need to start the One Voice campaign again just yet...We should probably wait and see.

Luke

Reaction score
the "sessions" that are being discussed here are from several years ago when Disney was thinking about using performers for appearances like cruises and other such fill-in duties.
Regarding the try-outs, from what i gather they really did "discover" people who sounded like Kermit, Fozzie, Piggy - like really closely (and i'm not referring to Artie, he was never mentioned so i have no idea about him), which makes me wonder even more how they ended up putting that performance out on prime time TV. I do understand that perhaps Steve's Kermit voice isn't how everybody would ideally like it but of course there's more to it as you say .. the puppeteering, how he has been a part of helming the group, technical knowledge, adlib skills etc. Also the factor that our Muppeteers have stuck with these characters for years and years and given their working lives to them - these are the iconic Muppets, they can't suddenly get people in who may sound good but might decide to go work on Crank Yankers, Spongebob on Ice or something a year later.

Not that i'm against them trying out fresh talent, though not in the way they did on AGT ... its a difficult situation.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
My opinion on the whole thing....

My opinion is that the performance of Kermit was not bad. The vocal impression was a lot better then many of the faux-Kermits seen in parodies or comedy acts. And the puppeteering skills were that of someone who has worked and trained with the Muppets for years. But the vocal change was noticeable and Kermit's posture and figure were slightly off.

But regardless of how "good" (or how "bad") the performance was...it was not the right performance...and in my opinion that's the issue here. The Kermit was not bad, the Kermit just was not right. Steve Whitmire is the official voice of Kermit the Frog, and no one else (no matter how "good") should be speaking for the frog (unless they are the new official voice of Kermit...and if so, it would be nice to know what happened to Steve). There should not be multiple Kermits co-existing. Steve should be the one and only performer of Kermit until the day comes when he is unable to continue (departure/retirement/death) and then the character can be recast and passed to another performer. It should not flip-flop back and forth based on who is available or anything like that.

People are trying to come up with reasons to justify such a fill-in (such as "Steve must have been sick"). These are all irrelevant cop-outs in my opinion. Until they officially recast someone else to be the one and only voice of the frog, I don’t want to hear anyone else speaking for him in public appearances... no matter how good they are at imitating his vocals and manipulating the puppet. If Steve/Kermit couldn't make it (because they were sick or something) then Steve/Kermit doesn't appear on the show...you don't send on an impersonator to fill-in.

1 Muppet, 1 voice.

matleo

Reaction score
Exactly! Well, stated Greg! Thank you!

dwmckim

Reaction score
Wow - a lot has been going on in this thread since i last posted late last night...quite a bit of stuff coming out - but unfortunately not the stuff we really need to come out such as WHA HAPPEN?

Being that Artie used to post on the forum way back when i would really hope he would come back and do a post saying what happened as to why Steve wasn't able to perform the other night. Most likely it will put a lot of minds at rest ... and there's also a possibility it may not be an answer we want to hear. But right now people are going crazy - people are hurt, they're confused, and the worst part is because we still have no kind of official word as to the whole "why" aspect of what happened, we don't know exactly WHAT we should be feeling. I would have a hard time believing the guy isn't lurking since as mentioned he used to post here and probably would want to check in here to see what the reaction was to his performance (and i'm sure probably wasn't expecting it to be as big as it's become). So, Artie, this is an open invitation for you to come on, share with us what went on and while i can't promise that everyone will respond kindly and with respect (i think we all well know that there are some loose cannons here), i do feel it safe to say that at least 90% of us will be civil and will appreciate your being upfront, honest, forthright and candid. Lacking that, we really do need to hear something from someone soon...Steve, Eric, Lyelle, Mr. Poodlepants, just SOMEONE who knows what is truly going on and can provide answers.

I'm now going to throw out some random thoughts - they aren't all fitting together to make one big point, some of these might contradict the others so basically i'm just getting things off my chest and not really making some big advocacy towards something or the other.

When i last posted, my main observation (which hasn't changed) is that the reason why emotions are running high here is because deep down, whether it's said or not (or even if we realize it consciously or subconsciously) it triggers us to be confronting issues of Muppeteer mortality. That they are human, they age, they get sick, one day all of them will have to give up what they do and pass the torch to someone else. Steve's certainly not the spritely young spring chicken but he's not terribly old either - unless there' health issues we don't know about one would expect him to be doing this for another good 10-15 years.

We all know about recasts and how they're necessairy - most of the time the issue isn't that big of a deal to us..."Elmo" issues aside, i think much of us feel Big Bird is the Muppet symbol of Sesame Street just as Kermit is the Muppet symbol for the classic Muppet cast...yet hardly anyone here minds that Carroll now shares the character with Matt Vogel - it's not even really an "understudy" situation since when we see Big Bird these days, half the time it's Matt and half the time it's Carroll. Why does that not bother us so much but we flip out when the possibility of the same thing happening with Kermit comes up? Maybe because Steve's around 50 whereas Carroll's over 75 years old? Or does it go even deeper - we can live with an accept recast Big Bird, we can accept it when John Tartaglia plays Ernie for a season on Play With Me Sesame, we can handle Frank's characters essentially having been passed to Eric and David (except for the rare handful of times when Frank does a Sesame sketch or two here and there...but otherwise the torch has basically been passed), we can accept Jerry's characters being recast since we know it's specifically due to his age and his various health issues. But somehow because Kermit is not only the symbol of the Classic Muppets but really the symbol for the Muppets period - the iconic figure - the biggest of the big guns, we really get hair-trigger edgy when the subject comes up of him having a back-up.

There's been rough patches sure but overall since the team got over the one-two punch of losing Jim and Richard, they've really tended to deal with the issues of recasts well...having the current performers work directly with the people who they feel will take on the task of continuing the characters like a mentor/apprentice type relationship. Perhaps this is one reason why we accept Matt as Big Bird as well as we do...we know that this is what's going on - Matt has the official Carroll Wing of Approval so hence most of us fans extend it as well. Again here's where at least knowing what is and what isn't going on with the whole Kermit thing becomes kind of important. Let's say that whether Steve was sick or had some other big personal emergency or whether this was actually a planned thing that this would be a public test of a possible official understudy (and i'll get back on this subject in a moment), if we got some kind of word that in either case Artie had been working directly with Steve and had his approval to be the frog "if anything ever happened", i think we'd all at least ACCEPT it a little more even if we still didn't totally agree with it. Of course a lot has to do with exactly what has happened with Steve and all this was being doine without his knowledge, blessing, or approval...if it is a case of someone wanting to replace him - that is just flat out disrespect, an insult to the man's legacy and Muppet fans' worst fears about a Disney buyout coming true and we should raise bloody **** and protest loudly. Disney wanting to insure its property and the Muppet legacy is one thing - that's quite reasonable and out and out just smart and good planning. However, if it goes BEYOND mere tragedy-planning and prepardedness and becomes some kind of coup where a veteran Muppeteer is unceremoniously ousted and flat out disrespected, that's quite the other and we should be calling for Disney managements' heads on platters.

Back to the subject i said i'd get back to of an alternate performer's trial by fire testing. Let's be honest here. Eric Jacobson's debut as Piggy was exactly that. True, it was neither televised or in front of an audience of millions, but one could say it was even worse...they essentially secretly "market researched" him in front of an official gathering of the Muppets' biggest and most hard core fans at the one and only offical Muppet fan convention to date. I remember thinking it wasn't Frank but over 90% of the people there at the time refused to believe it wasn't him due to a mixture of (a) naturally expecting that Frank would have made his presence felt in some way and just seeming natural that a video greeting was his way to make up for not being there (b) Eric's just being THAT good (c) the projecter problems/technical difficulties they had getting the video to run...most people who thought it was a little off just chalked it up to it being the result of technical glitches. But the fact is they experimented and tested a new performer/substitute of one of the most major of the major characters with no forewarning before so this is not an unprecidented situation if that's what happened here. People say if that's what was going on, they shouldn't have done it on a nationally televised guest spot, but where else would you rather it be done...in a Muppet tv special or the big 2010 movie? Just throwing that out there.

I'm now going to play devil's advocate and throw out something - i'm not saying i agree or disagree with how it affects the handling of Kermit in 2009, but just some food for thought that any discussion of the topic would be amiss if it wasn't brought up by somebody at some point...here is a quote from Steve Whitmire talking about the decision for him to become Kermit being bandied about before Jim's death...

"I have been told that Jim had said something about it to Frank. Not that I would perform Kermit when he died, but that he would need somebody else to do Kermit some of the time because he was so busy. He never said that to me, but I heard that through somebody that it had been talked about. Just that the two of them were so busy, that they may need to have to find stand-ins for their characters, so I guess it had been mentioned, but the actual time I was asked was by Brian. We were in Disney World for something. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I think it was the big tribute they did for Jim, and we went down for that. While we were there, one night I went over and met with Jane Henson, Brian, and Frank, and Brian mentioned me doing it."

So the idea at least of publicly debuting an understudy even before it became a "current performer can no longer do it anymore" thing had been out there back when Jim was still with us and before Steve became the frog himself.

I mentioned earlier that barring any health issues we don't know about, Steve should have a good 10-15 years of being able to perform Kermit ahead of him...but what if the concept of getting fans used to the idea of replacing major characters is a way of preparing us for a far more realistic situation that's in all honesty bound to come up sooner than we'd like to think or admit...the recasting of Gonzo. We've lived through a Kermit recast...it's hard for us to deal with and accept but we've done it before and we've seen it is possible for the character to successfully live on. But Dave Goelz has always been Gonzo - he's the last of the main Muppet Show Five that still performs full time and in the big productions, he's the only one that still performs all his original characters. Kermit's often been called the heart of the Muppets but in some ways Gonzo is the soul. Gonzo seems like he'd be the hardest to recast and for fans to accept - but sooner or later it will happen and as much as we don't want to think about it, it may be "sooner" - Dave's in his 60's, he's the one that's held out the longest of the TMS Five, and all the cartilage in either his arm or shoulder (don't remember which) is gone as he's admitted when he was doing presentations as part of the last touring Jim Henson Legacy exhibition. Muppets outlivethe humans who bring them to life. It's painful to confront but we have to...the same way all of us have to confront the mortality of our parents and all the other loved ones in our lives who are older than us. It hurts us in a very primal way but it's part of life.

The final thought on this subject that i wanted to get off my chest is that i think another reason some of us are really hurt by this is because of our perception of the status of the recast performer. I don't know if there's an offical hierarchy behind the scenes, but in my own mind, it's seems like there's about four "tier levels" of Muppet Performers:

1st Tier: These are the big stars - the ones we expect to see performing in all the big projects...people like Dave, Steve, Bill, Kevin - s you can see, they're such Big Guns that we don't even need to use last names when we refer to them!

2nd Tier: Up and comers - they have a lot of minor characters, they get quite a good amount of work - we generally have learned to recognize their voices - but they may or may not be part of a given project - these are people like Camille Bonora, Joey Mazzarino, Stephanie D'Arbruzzo, and up until very recently David Rudman (i personally think he's recently finally made it to first tier status...these tiers are flexible and people can move up or fall back a tier)

3rd tier would be more recent additions - we may not know them as well by voice or characters, but we see their names often enough. They work as support, right hands, background characters...but still haven't quite made it up to 2nd tier status - this would be an Allen Troutman or a Victor Yerrid (important to note: tier levels have nothing to do with talent levels as people on the third tier can be pretty much as talented/experienced puppetry-wise as people on the two tiers above them - in fact some of them are so good that they work at training other up and coming Muppeteers. These tiers are just solely based on how much they work/experience levels and how much of an impact they've made on the casts of characters)

Then finally there's the 4th tier - these are the "fresh meat" - the "newbies" - they're mostly just doing right hands and extras - they're the new names that pop up in the credits on the latest season of Sesame Street - we may not really recognize their names as a Muppet performer unless we view their Muppet Wiki entry. They may get lines on rare occasion if at all.

I think we're a bit sore right now because we're seeing a fourth tier Muppeteer taking on a first tier's recast. And a lot of us see it in the puppetry before we knew who exactly was subbing for Steve. Again - tier level isn't totally indicative of talent - the Kermit performance was NOT bad Muppetry. But it was lacking compared to Steve's work and we instinctively recognized it (when Steve was an up and comer himself, one of his biggest strengths was the physical manipulation/movements...so to be "Steve-level" is a high standard! Part of the pain and confusion people feel is not only because a Kermit recast happened and caught us by surprise but people are really confused because the role didn't go to someone on the first three tiers - we would expect a recast to come from tier one or two...maybe three if it was the right person. But deep inside people are feeling that a fourth tier Muppeteer doing that important a recast is maybe a little bit of an insult to Steve. (But that then begs the question, what tiers were Matt and Eric at respectively when they first started their official sub duties?)

Again, these are all thoughts/feelings/observations...i'm not suggesting to be proposing any kind of answers...those are best left coming from a legitimate on-the-record, known identity insider.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
VERY well put, Greg. Thank you very much for posting that and I agree 110%.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
I JUST got done watching it online, didn't know they were even going to be guest stars.

I had my mouth open the whole time, I just could not belive what I was hearing- Im sure if you saw me you would have wondered what was wrong with me. :concern: :embarrassed:

My first thought was- is that Steve? wow he is haveing a BAD night- then I kept watching (with my mouth open) and it just got worse- Ive heard better impersonators on youtube. Im not trying to be mean or anything, but I do hope Disney and who ever preformed him hears this- he is NOT a Kermit voice AT ALL, he might be a wonderful puppeteer, and those were VERY big shoes to fill, but wow... SOMETIMES if you really listened you could hear it (and I think those are the parts where people thought it sounded more like Jim) but that was like 5% of the time. It was really really really bad... Not trying to rag on Disney or that its just not Steve or Jim- I think my reaction was the most honest opinion I think you could get out of me- utter shock and appalled. Just like this ---> :concern:

On the other hand, who ever played Piggy did very well, I was wondering if that was really Oz (was it?) better than who ever played Piggy in A Verry Merry Muppet Christmas (and if its the same person, good job you can tell they really worked to nail that voice)

The sketch over all was cute, the normal cliche' Piggy/Kermit acts they do live, but it was cute.

MWoO

Reaction score
We accept other recasts for various reasons.

With Piggy and Fozzie we all knew Frank Oz was stepping back from the muppets. So, when Eric took over we were mostly happy. One, he's darn good, two it was either Eric or Piggy and Fozzie being reduced to small cameos, and three Frank helped train Eric (though we didn't know that from the start). So of course Eric was welcome. Also, this was done when the muppets were still owned by the Jim Henson Company so it didn't seem like a faceless corporate being making a decision.

With Big Bird we again knew Carrol would not be able to perform forever. Also it was a move done by Sesame Workshop, not some faceless guy, and we knew Carrol had a say in it and approved of it. We also knew Carrol was still there performing. And let's face it, Matt again is darn good.

With Kermit it's very hard to accept ANY change. For one, Jim Henson died unexpectedly. There is no happy thought of Jim Henson helping to train Steve and looking on as Steve performs Kermit giving an approving smile the way I picture it was with Frank and Carrol. The Kermit recast was forced onto us. But, at the very least, Steve worked with Jim Henson and we now know that at least some idea was tossed around about Steve taking over Kermit and Brian Henson is the one that picked Steve. So, Steve as Kermit has some connection to Jim Henson and in time I think many people accepted it, even if the circumstances made it very hard.

That brings us to the new Kermit. We have no idea why Steve didn't perform. We have no idea if Steve worked with this new guy, if he approved of this new guy, if he even had any say at all in this. Steve could have been all for this or he could be getting forced out of the role and watching this clip spewing curses. Of course we assume the worst. Then, of course, there is the fact the performance was not up to snuff. I mean, the part backstage seemed poorly performed and the singing was not too good in a lot of parts. I admit that at the very start it sounded a lot like Jim Henson, but the rest was just not top level stuff. Was it bad? No. Was it worthy of Kermit? No.

So, that is pretty much why this is getting met with such strong reactions. The Steve haters are all for any change, the loyalists want the original performers to be immortal, and the rest of us are going "What the hey?"

SJohnson

Reaction score
OK, I'm back - but I'll only hang around and contribute as long as things stay civil. Thanks for keeping the thread nicer today.

Two quick thoughts. If it was Artie (and we don't know for sure if it was), and we all know him from the Muppet Central Forum as a fan, then we should all be sooooooo happy for him. Think about it - it's possible that one of our own has performed as Kermit - what an amazing accomplishment. I would like to say: Artie, if it was you, congratulations. I am so happy for you, and proud of you.

Second, I can understand us wanting answers, but if it was him, I'm sure Disney has bared him from discussing the appearance, especially in a public forum. Also, after reading the majority of the comments posted on this thread, why would he want to come back and post something? Without knowing all the facts, or even being sure it was him, people here have passionately criticized his puppetry, and voice. He's been called amateur and stiff. Some have practically vilified him. Furthermore the appearance sent the Muppet Central Forum into a tail spin, turning fan against fan, it even resulted in the thread being shut down for a short time.

Artie is a die hard Muppet fan and a human being. I can’t speak for him, but if it were me, I'd feel pretty hurt and betrayed by the Muppet Central community. In the spirit of all that Jim Henson stood for, I think that some people here owe Artie an apology. :wisdom: