1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Kermit and Miss Piggy on America's Got Talent

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Haydensmommy

Haydensmommy New Member

I don't know if this has been posted on here yet but I found this on IMDB.com. Looks like Artie Esposito and Eric Jacobson did Kermit and Miss Piggy on America's Got Talent but didn't get credited. The performers who did the chickens did - Bill Barretta, David Rutman, Matt Vogel, and Dave Goelz. I read futher on Steve Whitmire's page and found this article.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/disney-recast-kermit-the-frog-end-of-muppets/

I sure home this doesn't become true!
  2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Well, we know IMDB has a tendency to not always be 100% right.

I doubt Kermit is being recast. After all, how close did this appearance of Kermit fall to D23? I know Kermit was involved with that. Wasn't that Steve? After all, if they paid Johnny Depp to appear as Jack Sparrow, I doubt they'd rather Steve be on TV when they'd want him there in person.
  3. TheMonsterAteMe

TheMonsterAteMe Active Member

It was not Steve at D23
  4. muppets2

muppets2 New Member

5. SarahOnBway

SarahOnBway Member

Are you certain? How do you know--the puppetry was looked awfully like his...
  6. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

i heard that the muppets are gonna peform on AGT AGAIN tomorrow. is this true?
  7. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Yes (there's a new thread about it).

Gonzo is slated to be the main performer so we may not see Kismet the Toad tomorrow.
  8. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Awsome throw to the comic dwmckim. High five!
  9. Kynan Barker

Kynan Barker New Member

Kermit lip-synched to a pre-recorded song at D23 and was otherwise silent. There was no sign of Steve Whitmire.

John Kennedy did play Kermit once for a Disney Cruise Lines show. But the performer playing Kermit on America's Got Talent and the VMAs wasn't Steve and wasn't John Kennedy. So I guess Disney thinks their third choice is good enough for us.

But he just has been!
  10. dwmckim

You might want to check out my post in the Steve Whitmire petetion thread. Until we have an answer on what's going on with Steve, i'm referring to faux Kermit as Kismet the Toad - and if you do check out my post there, you'll also find some other interesting connections between the two circumstances as well...
  11. Kynan Barker

Kynan Barker New Member

Hey, D.W. I did see your posts on "Kismet" and the vast Muppet Show Comic Book conspiracy theory -- very entertaining! I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates you lightening the tone and keeping things optimistic.

Sadly, I think it's pretty unlikely that this is part of some big stunt. I can't imagine Disney saying to millions of AGT viewers, "Ha ha, fooled you!" only to add, "Don't worry, you'll all be in on the joke if you go out and buy this comic."

I just don't like Disney messing with the identity of a character like Kermit, whatever the reason behind it.
  12. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Is the "new" Kermit this one at the MTV VMA pre show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifd4gjIJ9Bc

If it is (and correct me if I'm wrong), I'm sorry guys, but I have to admit that did remind me a lot of Jim, I liked it a lot.
  13. Haydensmommy

Haydensmommy New Member

If Disney decides to recast Kermit, do you think Steve will still do Ernie? From what I understand from the book that came out earlier this year, Jim Henson made sure that Disney couldn't buy the Sesame Street characters. He said they belong to the children. I also didn't think Disney owned all of the rights to the Muppets, just a small part.
  14. muppets2

muppets2 New Member

no he probably wouldn't do ernie if he didnt do kermit he wouldn't quit i think:eek:
  15. Kynan Barker

Kynan Barker New Member

Sesame Workshop owns Ernie and they're free to cast their own performers.

Disney owns the "classic" Muppet characters, along with Bear in the Big Blue House and several others.

So what Disney does with Kermit doesn't effect what happens to Ernie.
  16. Kynan Barker

Kynan Barker New Member

Yes, Heralde, the YouTube clip you linked to is Artie Esposito.

The "new" Kermit is constantly twitching, moving and stuttering, even when he has nothing to say. He has no comic timing, and -- worst of all -- apparently if you lean your face close enough, he'll kiss you on the mouth without a second thought.

I don't want Kermit to remind me of anyone, I want him to be Kermit. And nothing he does in that clip is the Kermit I know.
  17. dwmckim

Well, that all depends on what IS actually going on with Steve. Is his recent absence as Kermit a "Disney thing" or is something wrong with Steve? If this is a case of Disney replacing Steve, then there should be no effect on Steve's playing Ernie since Sesame Workshop and Disney are two seperate entities (and by the same token would not affect Steve's ability to do things with Henson Company such as the Fraggle Rock movie). In fact if it turns out that this was a Disney decision, we may see MORE Ernie because Steve would have less scheduling conflicts.

If however something is going on with Steve himself, Sesame may find themselves in the same situation of having to recast.
  18. MUPPETMONKEY

MUPPETMONKEY Active Member

My two cents (and a half)

Yes, It's true..Artie, (if it was him), was trying to imitate Jim.....just trying...to.
    He also moved Kermit too much, like if he was nervous of performing Kermit on TV

All confusion aside, I remember having the exact same reaction when I heard Steve's voice for the first time in that 90's Henson tribute. I was in shock! Who's this guy? He's not Kermit! Up to some point I thought it was Frank Welker.

Now, over the years, Steve got Kermit's movements and reactions just fine. Still he ads his own touch to the frog which we still notice. But the honest truth, and let's face it... after so many movies, specials and appereances...we got used to Steve.
    Disney could find someone with the same vocal chords of Jim and we'll react the same way. "Who's this guy?"

Ironically, Many years ago I though no one will NEVER EVER replace Frank Oz and..BOOM! Out of the blue Eric Jacobson appeared performing Oz' characters to perfection!

Makes you wonder who will replace Dave Goelz in the future.

We are in for maaany changes.

By the way..Am I the only one who finds the new Animal puppet too "hairy"?
  19. muppets2

muppets2 New Member

no i thought there was too much hair on animal too:halo:
  20. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well the thing is, for me Kermit is Jim Henson. So for me anyone else who does it is imitating and "reminding." That's just how it is for me. But in this performance, the vibe just felt very right.

I won't compare performers too much, they're all professionals, we can't get up and do what they do. I'm just saying what my gut reaction was to this.