Your Thoughts: Kermit and Miss Piggy on America's Got Talent

MWoO

Reaction score
OK, I'm back - but I'll only hang around and contribute as long as things stay civil. Thanks for keeping the thread nicer today.

Two quick thoughts. If it was Artie (and we don't know for sure if it was), and we all know him from the Muppet Central Forum as a fan, then we should all be sooooooo happy for him. Think about it - it's possible that one of our own has performed as Kermit - what an amazing accomplishment. I would like to say: Artie, if it was you, congratulations. I am so happy for you, and proud of you.

Second, I can understand us wanting answers, but if it was him, I'm sure Disney has bared him from discussing the appearance, especially in a public forum. Also, after reading the majority of the comments posted on this thread, why would he want to come back and post something? Without knowing all the facts, or even being sure it was him, people here have passionately criticized his puppetry, and voice. He's been called amateur and stiff. Some have practically vilified him. Furthermore the appearance sent the Muppet Central Forum into a tail spin, turning fan against fan, it even resulted in the thread being shut down for a short time.

Artie is a die hard Muppet fan and a human being. I can’t speak for him, but if it were me, I'd feel pretty hurt and betrayed by the Muppet Central community. In the spirit of all that Jim Henson stood for, I think that some people here owe Artie an apology. :wisdom:
I have to say that I detest when people try to evoke Jim Henson's name when they try to make a point. We are allowed to dislike a performance and no one should have to apologize for not liking this one. Also, I don't feel that we should be happy that someone who posts here got to perform Kermit just because they post here. If the performance warranted praise it would have gotten praise, but many people here do not feel that it does.

Eric is getting praised for his work with Piggy because he was good, not just because he was there. He has also gotten poor reviews from fans when people thought his performances were lacking in the past. Now I have no idea who Artie is, or if this was even him. I just know that I did not like the performance and found it lacking, and yes stiff. To me, it was not good enough for a Kermit performance. The part back stage just looked bad to me. It has nothing to do with Artie personally, it only has to do with the work I saw, be it his or anyone's.

Seriously, people who think we need to like everything the muppets do are just as bad as people who feel the need to hate everything the muppets are doing recently. Not everything is good and not everyone who performs is good. If that is too negative for you then I don't know what to tell you other than that is real life.

Is there potential? Maybe. Do I think Steve should be booted for the heck of it? No. To me, this new guy is not good enough to be replacing Steve as Kermit. If he was I'd be all for it, if for no other reason than it would give Steve a chance to perform his own characters more, but the performance I saw does not scream "Kermit" to me.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what MWoO just said.

I don't think Kermit's stand-in wrangler has been vilified, but the performance has been critiqued. That's what fan forums are for. The performance was stiff and Kermit's expressions and head-shape didn't suit the character. Maybe it was nerves. Heck, even great performers can have an off day and that's been stated here from time to time as well.

This thread was prematurely shut down and hasn't really pitted fan against fan. I think there are some overreactions about the normal reactions in this thread.

If the recent Kermit performer is permitted to talk, I'd welcome him here. I'm sure we'd all share in the joy of experiencing a life long dream.

Many of us here are in creative fields and we've heard both good and bone-headed critiques of our work. It's part of getting your skill out there. Not everybody is going to respond the way we want.

SJohnson

Reaction score
I just re-watched the clip again. And I like it more every time I see it. Haha, great work guys! Keep it up. Love it! :smile::smile::smile:

japoi

Reaction score
I am a long-time lurker and first time poster. I initially was going to avoid commenting on this matter, but there has been some dishonesty occurring within this thread and I cannot remain silent about it.

A member of this forum has been very vocal about their endorsement of the recently recast Kermit. They have also been claiming to have no inside information about the replacement puppeteer. I know for a fact that they are not being truthful regarding their depth of knowledge in this matter.

I do not wish to name names. I just want to caution readers that some postings on this topic may be fulfilling a personal agenda. I find no fault in supporting friends or loved ones. However, I do not think it is fair to lie to the members of this forum.

The replacement performer of Kermit should not feel "hurt and betrayed" by any of the comments on this board. They are the opinions of this community. And as far as I can tell, there have been no personal attacks...just reactions to the level of performance displayed.

Whether you are a fan of Steve's development of Kermit or not, he has been the sole performer for nearly twenty years. He worked alongside Jim Henson and learned his craft amongst legendary performers. You cannot disregard the contributions he has made to the character, and you cannot be surprised that fans react emotionally when it seems that the new Muppet owners have done just that in a very public arena.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Many of us here are in creative fields and we've heard both good and bone-headed critiques of our work. It's part of getting your skill out there. Not everybody is going to respond the way we want.
Just to add something here as far as criticizing or not criticizing past forum members, anyone on here who has ever written a fan-fiction or posted fan art or even displayed one of their puppets on the site knows that they will receive some criticism. A comment from one of my stories: "I don't really like this writing style." It was followed by more, but, you get the point.

Anyway, I also agree with much of what MWoO and dwmckim said.

By-the-by, if the reason Steve wasn't there was because he was sick, here's how I personally feel it should have gone...

(MISS PIGGY is alone on stage)

PIGGY: Where is that frog? He said he would be here! He stood me up again! (calls out) Kermie! Kermie! ... I hope he's all right. If he is, I'll kill him! ... *sighs* Oh, Kermie. You're breaking my heart. (calls out) Music!

(Music plays as PIGGY sings)

Don't go breakin' my heart!

(GONZO enters, dancing and singing)

GONZO: I couldn't if I tried!

PIGGY: What? Gonzo!

GONZO: Honey, if I get restless...

PIGGY: Gonzo, you're no one's kind!

GONZO: Don't go breaking my heart.

PIGGY: What's going on here?

GONZO: You take the weight off me.
Honey, when you knocked on my door...

PIGGY: Freak!

GONZO: I gave you my key!
Whoo-hoo! Nobody knows it!
Come on, Miss Piggy! Sing!

PIGGY: With you?

GONZO: Yes, yes, yes!

PIGGY: This is ludicrous.

GONZO: Of course it is! Sing!
Nobody knows it,
But right from the start
I gave you my heart.
I gave you my heart!
Hahahahaha!

PIGGY: Don't go breaking my heart.

GONZO: I won't go breaking your heart!

BOTH: Don't go breaking my heart!

(CHICKENS enter.)

GONZO: Oooh! Chickens!

PIGGY: (oblivious to the chickens) So don't misunderstand me
You put the light in my life.
You put the sparks to the flame.
I've got your heart in my sights!

GONZO: So, what's your names, ladies?

CHICKENS: Bawk-bawk!

GONZO: Hey, let's get outta here, girls!

(GONZO exits with the CHICKENS, leaving PIGGY to finish the song alone.)

PIGGY: Don't go breakin' my- Don't go breakin' my-
Don't breakin' my heart!
(The audience goes wild)
Oh! Oh, Gonzo, they loved us! Go- (PIGGY looks to find GONZO is gone.) Uh... Gonzo? Gonzo? (looks to camera, mad) Grrr! Men!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I am a long-time lurker and first time poster. I initially was going to avoid commenting on this matter, but there has been some dishonesty occurring within this thread and I cannot remain silent about it.

A member of this forum has been very vocal about their endorsement of the recently recast Kermit. They have also been claiming to have no inside information about the replacement puppeteer. I know for a fact that they are not being truthful regarding their depth of knowledge in this matter.

I do not wish to name names. I just want to caution readers that some postings on this topic may be fulfilling a personal agenda. I find no fault in supporting friends or loved ones. However, I do not think it is fair to lie to the members of this forum.

The replacement performer of Kermit should not feel "hurt and betrayed" by any of the comments on this board. They are the opinions of this community. And as far as I can tell, there have been no personal attacks...just reactions to the level of performance displayed.

Whether you are a fan of Steve's development of Kermit or not, he has been the sole performer for nearly twenty years. He worked alongside Jim Henson and learned his craft amongst legendary performers. You cannot disregard the contributions he has made to the character, and you cannot be surprised that fans react emotionally when it seems that the new Muppet owners have done just that in a very public arena.
Congrats on finally joining the fray! :crazy:

Now I'm intrigued by what you said. I'm not here enough to really know what you are referring to though. But I appreciated your last paragraph; I think we are entitled to be curious, upset, or confused.

SJohnson

Reaction score

Ouch, I guess that was directed at me. :eek:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Ouch, I guess that was directed at me. :eek:
I really don't think so. Although you've stated your opinion of favoring the performance, as far as I'm aware your comments don't fit japoi's description, and I don't believe you've said anything that would be a lie. In fact I'm almost 100% positive I know who he's talking about, but I'lll remain quiet so as not to accidentally accuse any innocent parties.

I believe you're in the clear, sir. Nothing wrong with liking the performance. I didn't, and don't really understand why some think it sounded like Jim Henson. His "hi-ho" was very good, but I didn't hear anything else that sounded right personally. But again, that's my opinion.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Artie is a die hard Muppet fan and a human being. I can’t speak for him, but if it were me, I'd feel pretty hurt and betrayed by the Muppet Central community. In the spirit of all that Jim Henson stood for, I think that some people here owe Artie an apology. :wisdom:
I dont think anyone here has anything personal against "Artie" if thats really his name- but if it was me, I would really hope that someone would tell me that I was horrible for 2 reasons- 1 so that I may get better 2 so that I might just realize that Im not cut out for that part and not do it again. Just because you cant preform Kermit well does not mean your a bad puppeteer, that your a bad actor, that your a bad person. Just purely that you sound nothing like Jim, and really thats what the game is about.

I am a die hard muppet fan, but I sound NOTHING like any of the muppets, but I dont expect any of you to tell me I sound good or to humor me just because Im a fellow fan.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I just watched the performance again on youtube, and I agree now that Kermit didn't sound like Jim's Kermit in the whole performance. Kermit just sounded like Jim's voice for a few lines, and I thought he actually sounded a bit like Steve for a line, but most of his lines sounded more like some of Bill Barretta's characters, like Johnny Fiama.