Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 34

scarecroe

Reaction score
I would find it hard to believe that Sesame Street is in danger of not being renewed any time soon. I realize they've had some stiff competition and financial trouble due to purchasing the other half of CTW from Henson, but things have been looking up. Especially now. This season of Sesame Street is just so fantastic I can't see it doing anything other than strengthening the franchise.

One thing I think could really help though would be to market more products for adults. Collector's item type things. I think we're headed in the right direction with some of the clothing options that have appeared in stores thus far. I hope the next step is DVDs and CDs geared toward vintage SS while continuing to put out what they have been for children.

I've got a lot more to say on this subject, but the point is that through thick and thin I think Sesame Street is here to stay.

ssetta

Reaction score
It was actually Christopher Cerf from Sesame Street who told me all those things. Because he used to work on the show, he was a major songwriter. He's the one who invented all those rock parodies, and he was Chris of Chris and the Alphabeats, and has sung many times on the show. But they never use his stuff anymore, and he never writes anymore except for kiddy things. That's how he knows about this.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think it will be cancelled or anything that drastic anytime soon.

ELmo's world will always be about 15 minutes long, not the whole show.

I know it is largely Elmo know a days, but that, again, is because kids sympathise with Elmo, younger ones anyway (personally, I sympathise with Telly).

Of course, he (Chris) probably has resentment against the show being largely younger now a days (though adults always had young kids watch it). Can't say I don't blaime him... I mean, rarely they use one of his things (Above it all... and something about the number 2, he sang).

The decreased number of episodes is because of the PBS Financial situation, and that dumba** Dragontales show (I don't care if It is for kids, it's still awful at any point of view).

One thing I think could really help though would be to market more products for adults. Collector's item type things. I think we're headed in the right direction with some of the clothing options that have appeared in stores thus far. I hope the next step is DVDs and CDs geared toward vintage SS while continuing to put out what they have been for children.
Couldn't agree more. I wish Chris and co would get back together and make a third Parody oriented CD (atone to Sesame Road and Born to Add), but that ain't happening. And DVD's of classic episodes or skits would sell out to collectors. The Shirst and buttons seem to be doing well, why not collectible figures (PVC's at least)?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Got another episode from Season 34 today, the one where Telly's overprotective of Baby Bear's health and doesn't want to play with him... At least, not directly for fear of hurting him again. The parts I liked from this episode were:
1 Global Grover, near the end where Sidney the Camel hops on Grover's back so that the two can get to school on time. This was funny as it reminded me of the segment where Marshall Grover lost a bet to Fred the Wonder Horse and ended up giving his horsie a ride back home.
2 Cookie Monster's logic when eating the D Letter of the Day cookie. He made a sign that read "Don't" so that he wouldn't eat the cookie. "What you doing hand?!" "Me no can eat cookie!" Then he eats part of the sign and says "Me no want to eat that. Me want to eat that." (meaning the cookie.) And then the sign says "Do" so he does.
3 A portion of Elmo's World which was about birds. A robin comes in and tells Elmo about itself and how it's simlar to other birds. The humorous thing was that the robin said "Well, I've got to be bob-bob-bobbing away now. B-b-b-bye."
Probably, most kids didn't get this joke, but it's a reference to the old song "When the Red-Red-Robin goes Bob-Bob-Bobbing By"
Hope this helps and have a good day.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Almost forgot, there was something else I wanted to comment on. In the episode where Elmo and Zoe want to fly kites, the new Big Bad Wolf comes by and says that he'll help out by providing his own wind. Well... Did he steal Spider-Man's famous line? "With great power, there comes great responsability."
Hope this helps and have a good night.

CookieFan

Reaction score
Wasn't really paying attention today, but was that STINKY who was featured in the Street segment?

sfgirl

Reaction score
The whole "oh! My nose!" is a reference (The Brady Bunch) that I hope my son never has to see the original to understand.
:big_grin:

Liked the "problem solving" kite in the tree with Zoe & Telly (and I'm not a big Zoe fan). My son was running around the living room with his arms in the air saying "tree, tree."
However, most of the other scenes seem "been there, seen that"

And we (my son is with me on this one) are just not into Baby Bear and Hero Guy. So tired of that segment...Also, I read somewhere that Hero Guy & Monster Clubhouse would split episodes (when one is on the other is not). But the ONE time this season there has been Monster Time there was a Hero Guy as well. ack. no escape.

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
This is from a while ago now. But somebody on Tough Pigs mentioned this thread, and I guess I missed something.

ssetta. "Are you sure that Betty-Lou girl was meant to look like Britney Spears? I don't think so."

She was just a little in-joke amongst the designers. Mikey Schupbach was very proud of her. Matt Vogel played her in the karaoke episode.

Fellow W Lover. "Secret Squirrel knows what he is talking about.
You shut up now."

Thanks for springing to my defence, even in jest. I believe ssetta knows what s/he was talking about also. (Sorry, ssetta, I don't know if you are a man or a woman.) So there are no problems.

Somebody else (Drtooth?) posted about a little boy and a little girl AM in the background on one episode. Not new interns, just puppeteers amusing themselves. Sesame shoots many scenes a day, and often when a lot of puppeteers are called for one scene, they have to wait while other scenes are shot. Sometimes they kill time by doing background AMs and animals for fun. It's worth watching for them.

Hope this helps some.

secret squirrel

Erine81981

Reaction score
Wow we!!!!

WOW WE!!! LOVED TODAYS EPISODE!!! Man todays episode was pretty cool. Now all of the little things inbetween the show was also pretty neat. I loved the song from the skit of Erine and Bert. Erine wakes Bert up to sing him what he dreamed. He sings of two monkeys on the bed dancing. Won't guess who they were? Davey and Joey. Yes the two monkies from the 90's episodes. It was cool to see them again. Then he fond an elephant in his sock drewer. (Fluffy) Then he saw an alaigtor under his bed. Bert says to Erine you know thats not true. Erine goes I know I dreamed it. (laughs) Then procides out the door "Going to get some breakfeast." Bert goes I guess I'll get up goes to get dressed but finds the elephant in the sock drewer. "ERINE!!!!!!" runs off. Thought that was funny. Kind of glad seeing new skits of Erine and Bert. One other thing I liked was an animeated short. Two Manacans one women and one man. Cars going by then the gloves start to beat on a top hat. The manacans start to dance (Oh yea forgot to tell ya'll there in top hat as well w/tails tuxeto so tap dancing) so they dance and dance. Its very cool looking. Thought that was a cool episode. The story line is Zoe gets a TuTu and Telly comes along to put it on her but the wind blows it away. Gets stuck in a tree. (Same Tree As always) They every possible way to get it down. Then Zoe says "We need superhero." So does Telly. So then you hear superhero music. Its Super Grover. He gets stuck in the tree so then Alan comes by and ask whats going on they tell him and he says to get a ladder but then Big Bird comes by. "What do ya'll need a ladder for?" So Big Bird Helps the tutu get down but grover wants to get down himself. But Alan helps him down. Hope If any body else seen it maybe they'll write something and if anybody hasn't seen it Hope this helps. Thanks. :smile:

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by Secret Squirrel

Fellow W Lover. "Secret Squirrel knows what he is talking about.
You shut up now."

Thanks for springing to my defence, even in jest. I believe ssetta knows what s/he was talking about also. (Sorry, ssetta, I don't know if you are a man or a woman.) So there are no problems.

Aww, er, sure anytime. I got your back. Even if it is a furry squirrel back with a scraggly, horrible squirrel tail that would give me the creeps in real life. Secret Squirrel, I hate squirrels, but for you, I'd make sure to swerve my SUV... honest.

(And at the time, it wasn't so much jest. I really did want him to shut up. :wink: )