Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 36

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thoughts on Episode 4087: As the Porridge Cooled.

Highlights.
1 The story with the 3 Bears was somewhat interesting.
2 They showed the old E-Monk or Gregorian Chant segment.
3 They're showing the old toolbox letter creation bits, like the ruler and protactor to make the E's. At least I remember that one from when I had better sight.
4 Was good to see the 5 Waltzing Chairs song again.
5 Global Grover England, new. Grover kept getting into a sort of Abbot and Costello routine with the cricket telling him he was talking about the sport and not the insect.

An OK episode, but yesterday's the best I've seen so far.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
The Count said:
As for Cookie Monster having his cookies taken away... I'd say that's just empty promotion and wrong promotion at this point.
Yeah, they were talking about that on "Regis and Kelly" this morning. They mentioned his "Cookie is a Sometimes Food" song. Has that been on the show yet? Just wondering.

I did see the ep where Cookie disguised himself as Granny Bird to get the Cookies. It seems like he's still the same loveable monster we've known for years.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, that song still hasn't aired. And neither have any of the parodies hyped up in the press release either. Still looking forward to those parodies.

salemfan

Reaction score
The Count said:
2 new Letter of the Day segments, as a game show, where Cookie's prize is a big bunch of cookies.
Who was the game show host?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't rully know who it was TSF. MuppetDude said it was a character-less voiceover. The thing is, when I heard it the first time, I wondered if it was a newly-built reintroduced Guy Smiley.
But it's just a voice without a character. Hope this helps.

Erine81981

Reaction score
The Count said:
Don't rully know who it was TSF. MuppetDude said it was a character-less voiceover. The thing is, when I heard it the first time, I wondered if it was a newly-built reintroduced Guy Smiley.
But it's just a voice without a character. Hope this helps.
Nope it had a character doing the voice. He looked like a "Name that sound character. Can't think of the name. He looked just like him almost.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If I were still able to use the computer every day, I'd give my day by day analisis.... but since I'm on the computers on and off (I don't have one) I'll give my entire over view.

They are clearly not mucking around with the Happy and Healthy hype. About every skit is health related....But I'm glad that the media's "Cookie Monster is giving up Cookies" stuff is a bunch of bull. Other than redoing an old number about healthy foods, he's the same Cookie Monster. But then again, they seem awfully worried about Cookie Monster eating cookies, ignoring the fact he eats foam letters, Plates, baskets, and once even a real pickup truck.

But I digress... here's what I didn't like

• The afforementioned beating it into kid's heads about health.... shouldn't that have been something parents tell kids? All these scientists and doctors telling us how to live healthy, but kids (and, frighteningly enough, parents) only listen to muppets.
  • The longer story elements seem to be lacking. Probably because of the health stuff forced into each episode. Some were okay, but the "new three bears" thing was just lousy. Good acting by the Muppets and "Alan" but baaaad script.
  • The subtraction of Journey to Ernie, only because you got the two headed Monster every day.
  • The live action (nonmuppet, cast member, or celebrity kind) segments are many, and terrible. I always hated that stuff, even when I was a kid. I watch SS primarilly for the Muppets, thank you.
  • The quality of newer animated and nonmuppet live action segments is really bad. Especially the "Healthy food of the day" song. Bleech. And that "Do the Veggie dance" thing from friday was the longest minute of my life. You know... I wonder if they're hiring new animators....
  • Monday's episode had "Hero guy"... perhaps the weakest segment of them all, and I was hoping it was gone.

Now, here's what I liked
  • The newer letter of the ay segments are as funny and well thought out as they were when they premired. Last season, the newer ones were a bit weak, and even for Cookie monster, it was a stretch to have him believe letters were Cookies. But the "Letter of the day game show" was pretty funny stuff.
  • Older skits being reused, especially the King of 8, and the impatient cat, my 2 favorites.
  • The reintroduction of classic characters. Barkley was in one segment. Even if it was old, it's lways nice to see a clasic character.
  • The writing of smaller segments is getting better than last year, though the only parody segment I saw so far was Oscar's YMCA parody.... oddly enough since they had Elmo sing another parody, but with the real music in a toy.
  • They may have capped JTE, but they kept the Ernie and Bert moment... but I wish they used less solo Ernie skits. Except for the vegitable song
  • Trash Gordon lives for another Season. The best part of last year's show. I liked the new ones, but they did reuse a few from last year.

and Here's some random thoughts. Wednsday's "Healthy food game" was pretty... uhhh.... weird. They reused the entire "Sesame Squares" plotline from last year. I know they've been reusing old plotlines the last couple of years, but I'd like a season break at least before they dip back in the same inkwell. And the mouse playing the piano was kinda... nonsequitor. Funny, but random. I liked the new version of Healthy food (though between you and me, I had no idea who the dude with cookie monster was). The older one is still superior, but way dated. I just can't look at late 80's, early 90's rappers anymore... especially ones with giant wall clocks hanging off their necks. They seem to be using a lot of 90's stuff, which makes sense. In the 80's they used 70's stuff, in the 90's they used 80's stuff. But I don't like the stuff they're using... the letters being made out of stop motion toys floating around... and they use at least 3 segments per episode of the same animation company.

I have yet to see the return of Hoots and Desperate Houseplants, but I'm looking forward to it. Overall, I think I was madder Monday about every change, but I knew what to expect by the end of the week.

beaker

Reaction score
I was too busy learning the value of mixed letter and number breeding on Wonder Showzen, but I'll try and catch the new season of Sesame. Again, I am all for kids being forced via puppet propaganda to learn that eating healthy is good. America is becoming one giant Michelin Man.