Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 37

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Saw today's episode... My thoughts.
Episode 4111: Cookie World.

This was a great street story, the fact that Cookie Monster was parodying Elmo was brilliant.
The intro song and of course when he presented Cookie, the equivalent of Dorothy...
Then, Bob! Mr. Bobble teaching Cookie Monster how to eat an apple instead.
Cookie Monster: That still not answer me question, and that why you so funny Mr. Bobble.

Then he went to ask a baby and its Daddy, Cookie Monster stopped in his tracks noticing the baby had no teeth before moving on.
Finally, he remembered he was an expert in the field of eating cookies.

Next, the kids counting ten cookies, but Cookie Monster said there would also be some subtraction.
CM: Cookie World very educational.
Much moreso than Elmo's World.
Of course, he finished the lesson devouring the entire plate.
CM: Subtraction delicious!

He went off to ask Kyla and María if a basketball and toaster could eat a cookie.
María said that toasters can't eat cookies... But if you look at it as shoving the cookie down into the open slot of a toaster thanks to its little lever, you could argue that toasters do eat cookies, if only to spit them back out.
Hmmm, guess those shiny metal creatures only like the soft underbelly of those things called "bread".

Zoe showed up, CM's lines to her about doing the cookie dance...
CM, [aside]: Learn quickly, this Cookie World.
And of course the end where he talks to a cookie doing its voice himself...

Plus when he said "Say goodbye Cookie, cause between you and me, you not be here that much longer."
This was probably David Rudman's best Cookie Monster performance to date. Learning and picking up on the adlibbing from Frank last year.
Extremely funny.

Highpoints:
1 Suzy Kabloozy's song about imagination "In My Head".
Liked this one.
2 The alphabet song with Elmo, Jamie Foxx, and the spoofs.
Though it would've been better if instead of the alphabet song, it had been a sort of take off on the old game show "Will The Real (Insert Celebrity Name) Please Stand Up?"
3 The song about carrots being the star in vegetable stew was OK.
4 Bert and Ernie, modern version of "Rub Your Tummy".
5 Letter of the Day: Q, repeat where CM eats the little stemmy part.
6 Global Grover was replaced by... A new Grover the Waiter sketch!
So much goodness here.
a. Frank Oz was voicing Grover!
b. The classic team's back, Grover the Waiter and Mr. Johnson.
c. We finally heard Charlie speak, granted it could've been a taped soundbyte... But at least it's something, maybe he appeared onscreen for once? Don't know.
d. The end with the borscht dance...
Grover: I'm sorry sir, it was supposed to land right side up. No charge, dinner's on us.
Mr. Johnson: No, dinner's on me. And then he just comically collapsed on the floor.
7 The bit with the international musical pieces was OK.
8 New introduction for the Number of the Day.
The Count was at the familiar spot with the kids, this one named Kyle, but there was a step for the kid to jump up on. The premise was that he'd jump to make his hair turn blue, which of course you can't really do.
The Count counted 10 jumps, the Number of the Day, and then his hair instead turned blue.
9 Liked the song about the number 10 from Tennessee.
10 SS Dinner Theater: Omelette, Prince of Dinner.
Was funny, but I think it would've been better if they styled Omelette's speech more like the famous speech from the real play.
Something like "To eat peas, or not to eat peas... That is the question."
11 Elmo's World: Telephones, repeat but new to me.
All the jokes with the Telephone were clever, liked the standardized message she gave the pay phone when it called her towards the end.
12 Trash Gordon: Giant Ringing Telephone. Simple solution, just pick up the receiver and answer the call.

Lowpoints:
Not that many today.
They used the new modern rock version of One of These Things. Rully don't like it.
1 The modern rock way it's being sung just doesn't mesh with the classic way we know the song should be.
2 Also, they don't tell us what the three common things are, nor what the fourth is doing or why it's different from the rest.
Really annoying, especially since they just gloss over it and move on to the next segment.

That's all for today, mostly a very good episode.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I liked it, there really weren't that many structured segments today, so it felt a little more random.

Loved the new Charley's restaurant segment...Russian Restaurant? How many places does this guy run?

Enjoy dinner theater, very entertaining, and I really liked the segment with Count and the kid. That was so creative and had such an old school feel to me. He didn't just say let's count or can you exercise and and it's fun. He asks how many time does it take to jump off the stoop till your hair turns blue. It was just saying, have fun and get some exercise and learn a thing or two while your at it. Plus the blue hair thing was really silly and imaginative.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
GROVER RULES THIS WORLD AND BLOWS MY MIND!! The Charlie's Restraunt scene was FANTASTICABULOUS!!! I loved it!!

And Cookie's World! WOOT! LOVED IT!! Sesame Workshop did amazing on this one! Keep it up SW!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I really liked the Cookie's World episode. A very classic Cookie Monster show. Somehow I have a feeling that this episode will be released on DVD by the end of next year (maybe grouped with the Cookie Hood episode from 2002). I could be wrong, though. I also liked the return of Fat Blue, though I thought this was just a Global Grover sketch taking place at a resturaunt (though Global Grover doens't have a title card or theme, and neither does Grover the Waiter, so I guess it could be either).

Erine81981

Reaction score
I enjoyed all of it. Loved the Cookie World thing. Funnest thing I saw. Mr. Bobble was funny too. Glad to see Bob there. Grover was awsome. Glad to have sceen a new Charlie's restaurant. I couldn't have been alot more happy to see these new stuff and other stuff too. Can't wait for tomorrow episode.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I used to be able to do that where I used to live, though.
Yeah. My local channel used to play the show twice a day, but now they're only playing once a day. That's kind of a bummer.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Barry Lee said:
Okay, here's my review of "Cookies World."
And here's the highlight of the episode: A NEW WAITER GROVER SKECTH, Hillarious! I loved Fat Blue and Grover in the russian resteraunt. That was the highlight of this episode.
I couldn't agree more. That's much better than those tired old Global Grover films. I'm glad they're trying something new with that segment.

BTW, that was Frank as Grover? How can you tell the difference?

As for Cookie World: I've noticed a few Elmo parodies here in the fan fiction section, so it was great to see someone parodying Elmo in the same show. Lol. And Mr. Bobble was great. I really hate to say it, but Bob's kind of getting up there and I'm not sure how much longer he'll be able to be on the show, so it's good that he's still around whenever possible. Lol. I was thinking that Elmo would show up in that segment and complain about Cookie Monster mocking him. I also liked the muppet Jamie Fox. He reminded me of our family's sheltie. Lol. I missed yesterday's "Dinger with Me," but I'm glad they're still making new :frown: and :stick_out_tongue: segments, if that was a new one. Then there was the Count trying to see if that kid's hair would turn blue after counting, only to have his hair turn blue. I didn't quite get the concept, but I'm glad they made a new Number of the Day thing besides the same organ and Contess sketches. It seems like those are always the same. They were due for a change.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... Frank's and Eric's Grover voice are still different enough that I can kind of auditively tell who's who.
If you notice, Eric slipped in one Play With Me Sesame Oatmeal Art segment from Bert to Grover, and his Grover is quite similar to his everyday/angry Piggy.
Frank's Grover is the one I've grown up and can spot that one almost instantly.

Hope this helps.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
I enjoyed all of it. Loved the Cookie World thing.
Then why don't you marry it? :wink:

I didn't see yesterdays episode, but it seems like the Spanish Word of the Day hasn't been used yet this season. I sort of liked that segment. I wonder if it is gone for good. Well, we've still got 23 episodes. And Journey to Ernie wasn't in every episode last year either, so that might just pop up occassionally.

The Count wanting to count untill the kids hair turned blue might have been an excuse for him to count forever. So it was a bit surprising that The Count just stopped at 10, instead of going higher (since counting won't make your hair turn blue, maybe the number should have been 0).

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I'm the same way The Count. I can instantly tell who's Grover or another character played by another performer other then the original.