Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 37

Mistoffelees

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing about where Big Bird and Snuffy were, and who was that little pink character on the left hand side, I think sitting next to Rosita(?) It was great to see Lillas White again, especially in a role allowing her to sing.

BEAR

Reaction score
the Graduation episode was actually one of the best episodes in a long time! I loved it and I appreciated them having ALL of the grown ups together in one episode. Yeah, where were Big Bird and Snuffy? Grover was there though. Didn't expect that. Lilias White is awesome!!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK... My thoughts.
Episode 4112: Graduation Day.
Ah, it's always great to get a landmark/moment episode like this.
Miles and Gabi graduating from high school... And here I thought I'd be attending my 10th class reunion this summer... Oh well.
SS Cast Alert: Lilias White, better known as Lilian Edwards portrayed Miss Walsh the teacher.
The flashback scenes were OK... And so was the episode as a whole.
Thought it was neat that Young Gabi drew a picture of her home on Sesame Street, living next to a grouch and all.

There was a new song about sharing, if they work out the repetitive aspects of the song and get some different lyrics, maybe it'd be a good replacement for "Share".
The street scene had a lot of grownups, including both dads and moms from the two families. Yes, we got to see Susan, though briefly.
Bob was saying he remembered when the two kids were in matching baby strollers, nice touch.

Two things though on a good news/bad news level here.
The good news: The Graduation March of the Penguins!
Great pun, penguins marching on their way to the party.
Just isn't Muppety if there aren't any penguins around.
Bad News: If there was one place I hoped/thought was immune to the death of proper use of superlatives was Sesame Street.
Gordon: We couldn't be more proud of the two of you.
Noooo! Stuff like that just grates on me. It should be "prouder".

Highlights:
1 "I'm Off To School" a fun song somewhat parodizing Chuck Berry's "Hail Hail Rock & Roll".
2 Letter of the Day: P, repeat where Cookie Monster's blindfolded by Prairie.
3 Segment where the kids are spotting things starting with P, mostly stuff at the greenhouse dealing with the cultivation of peas.
Pushing the healthy living angle, but this one I liked.
4 P: Party. For some reason, I feel like I've seen this live segment on TLC's The Magic Box.
5 "Things That I remember" sung by Steve's Ernie and Frank's Bert. A nice song, glad they put it in there.
6 Global Grover: Jamaican Tiedyed Shirt, repeat.
7 Number of the Day Song: 15.
8 The song "Fifteen". Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Great to see a numbers song like that again. Though I'd like something of that variety to be made anew, with quality to it.
Frankly, not too crazy over newer stuff that lacks any true thought like the guy announcing the number of hippos. They should make new Counting Ringmaster sketches.
9 Elmo's World: Getting Dressed, repeat.

BTW: The puns for the shows TV announces on Elmo's World have been good ones.
Chum and Chummer for EW: Friends.
The Telephone Always Rings Twice, EW: Telephones.

There was a segment about kids looking at a painting of a woman rowing a boat at the museum, imagining what the woman had to go through to get in shape so she could row that boat. Was an OK segment.

Lowpoints:
1 OK, if they're going to use it in every episode... Then let's establish it right here and now, I don't like the new version of One of These Things Just Doesn't Belong.
There, enough said, a lowpoint for the rest of the season from here on out.
2 Healthy Food Rhyme/Song: Grapefruit.
Trust me, those things aren't sweet. Most acidic things on the planet to eat, my grandfather and brother like them. Only way I can eat one is if you add some sugar to the grapefruit itself.
3 Trash Gordon: Pots and Pansians, repeat.

All in all, an OK episode, looking forward to tomorrow's.

BEAR

Reaction score
Just remembered my one complaint, and it isn't even that big of a complaint, about the Graduation episode. Couldn't this episode have been saved for towards the end of the season? I mean, why would they be graduating at the end of the summer from high school? I know I probably sound too picky, but it's weird.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bear, good point. Initially the season was going to air in April so it would've worked better then. The episode will probably re-air next April/May though at least once or twice.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
The Count said:
OK, if they're going to use it in every episode... Then let's establish it right here and now, I don't like the new version of One of These Things Just Doesn't Belong.
Everyone keeps saying it's the new "One of These Things" but I don't think that's the case. I think it's just the intro for a new segment "What's the Game Today?". Then the next segment is the game.

I liked it at first but now it's getting old. Today was just kids and animals dancing in a party line. I know it's supposed to get kids up and moving, but the music got annoying and I couldn't even understand what they were saying.

I'm new here btw.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MC. Yes, that's what I thought too... But if you say that "one of these things just doesn't belong", we're going to think it's harkening back to One of These Things.
And the bit just doesn't do it justice. Sorry, but this is a bit I'm not liking very much.
If it were just the dancing segment without the hard rock intro, then it'd be OK... Something I can gloss over and ignore if I'm not into it, but OK. With the hard rock intro, it makes it stand-outish and plain no good to me.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Okay, I see. I think my problem is that I try to keep the sound down. Right now I'm living with my parents (I know it's embarassing to admit) and I don't want people to hear so I try to keep the thing low and read the captioning so I can't really recognize the voice that way. I have noticed a big difference between Frank and Eric's Grover in the version of "Monster in the Mirror" on PWMS, so I guess it wouldn't be too hard to tell the voices apart if I had more of a chance.
Well I think when they sing is when you can tell the difference the most.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
The Count said:
Berry Lee said in the Season 37 Characters thread that was Lilias White, known to all of us longtime SS watchers as Lilian Edwards.
Okay. Thanks, Count.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Just remembered my one complaint, and it isn't even that big of a complaint, about the Graduation episode. Couldn't this episode have been saved for towards the end of the season? I mean, why would they be graduating at the end of the summer from high school? I know I probably sound too picky, but it's weird.
Yeah. I was thinking the exact same thing. Why would they graduate in August? I forgot that the show was supposed to take place in April. I guess in the words of Fred Rogers or Barney the Dinosaur:

Use your imagination.

Gordon: We couldn't be more proud of the two of you.
Noooo! Stuff like that just grates on me. It should be "prouder".
Well, keep in mind that he's a science teacher. Not a grammar teacher. Lol.

As for today's show. Well, I missed a lot of it because of my brother bugging me. Then I had to run errands. But one thing that was definately worthy of mention was "Caveperson Days." Did they make a new one of those or was that an old one? Again I had to keep the sound low so I couldn't tell if the voices were done by Jim and Frank or Steve and Eric. Either way, it was great to see that sketch again.