1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Your Thoughts: Studio DC Hosted by Dylan and Cole Sprouse

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Aug 3, 2008.

?

What did you think of Studio DC Hosted by Dylan and Cole Sprouse?

1. I loved Studio DC.

40 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. Studio DC was good.

42 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. Studio DC was just so-so.

31 vote(s)
    22.3%
  4. I disliked Studio DC.

26 vote(s)
    18.7%

1. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I am going to state, for the record, that I have seen the show...And I am reserving judgement for now.

~Beau

2. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Get a grip ... I was only half-serious.

You don't need to be goth or emo to have some DEPTH. Touched By an Angel wasn't emo ... but it didn't have paper-thin characterization, either. I can appreciate "wholesomeness" ... how "Hey, look, we smiled" equals "wholesomeness" ... I just don't know.

And where HAVE the Muppets been (heck, where's Mickey been? ... Disney is racist [this is SARCASM for those who don't understand the concept] against its own fictional characters!). The proof in the pudding is the fact that tweens and kids went ga-ga over "Look I sang a song" superstars and dismissed/griped about "puppets" ... yes, Disney did such a wonderful job keeping the Muppets in the public eye. :rolleyes:

For less than 30 minutes ... TO INTRODUCE WELL-ROUNDED CHARACTERS WITH HISTORY. And this isn't just a gripe about the treatment of the Muppets. I don't like/know much about Disney tweens. I would have appreciated knowing THEIR history. But that's how Disney works: put someone in front of a screen ... forget about plot and characterization ... call it a show.

And from what I've been hearing, they STILL thought Kermit ... KERMIT ... is some "dumb old sock puppet".

You know what I honestly enjoyed watching? House of Mouse. True, it was The Muppet Show with Disney characters ... but even obscure characters got even basic lives outside of their initial appearance decades ago. If a company (Henson, Disney, whatever) forgets that their characters are real, they never will be. And it making those characters real that give them sticking power. When you take away Mickey/Donald/Goofy's lives and just stick them on t-shirts, you make them irrelevant. We are "fixated" on CHARACTERS, CHARACTERS that were lovingly crafted and developed (more or less) and spent decades influencing children and adults everywhere. Now, if you want me to feel the same way about Disney's Barbie-sing-alongs ... then you need to make them CHARACTERS. Little kids might be satisfied with "Hey she sings". I am not. Teens shouldn't even be satisfied with that silliness. It's insulting. At least Zack/Cody LOOK like their supposed target age group. PLEASE don't tell me that Hannah Montana is supposed to be geared to teens. A lot of these "teen comedies" seem to be geared to 10-year-olds ... if that.

What passes for entertainment now, not just on Disney channel but on many channels, feels more like 30-minute sketches, not shows. Bumper stickers have more depth.

3. ngreen522

ngreen522 New Member

I second that!
    ... but I will say, when it was all said and done, I walk away feeling somehow ... empty

4. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Can I add that I didn't have an empty feeling, I felt as if I'd been bumped by a dozen elbows.

That doesn't mean I didn't like it...I'm still formulating a reply, don't take that out of context...But I felt as if I had struggled to breath during the show due to the tight editing and weird cuts.

5. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

Ah, I was wondering if anyone was going to bring this up. That was my first reaction. The direction on this show was terrible. Obviously by someone who had never directed a puppet show. The cuts were so quick, you couldn't even see the puppets. (Well, what can you expect from a director named "Krash". I'll bet you anything this guy came from music videos.) I don't even know how the puppeteers performed, unless there was a camera always aimed at them and they watched that instead of the quick cutting. Just horrible.

I thought the writing was lame and the jokes lukewarm at best. The original Muppet Show did corny jokes, but at least they could sell them. These Disney Channel kids overacting couldn't sell a joke to anyone over 5.

And what age group was this aimed for? If it's the typical Disney Channel audience, then that's the wrong audience. As someone else pointed out, the average age is 6 - 10 years old, not even the tweens that are depicted in every show.

Overall, I was very disappointed. This just felt like the Muppets guest starring on someone else's show... a show that was nothing more than ANOTHER 30 minute commercial for the other Disney Channel shows (which had at least 10 more minutes of actual commercials for their shows crammed into it.)

I don't think the Disney people have any idea what the Muppets are about or how to handle them.

:p

6. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I think the quick cutting was a poorly executed effort to make the Muppets appear more "matter of fact" than puppet to an audience unimpressed by the art form. That is a common mistake made these days with the Muppets and puppetry in general. The characters sustain credibility just fine if given some breathing room.

Breathing room - that's something the Disney Channel doesn't provide in any area. The channel is like one big cluttered glossy pull-out ad found in the middle of the Sunday paper - a whole lot of color and "look at me" without anything really of note.

Still, I wouldn't say that Disney doesn't know how to handle the property these days. I think they learned something recently:

The Muppets have been sitting on the Mouse's shelf, making only minor appearances until fan Segel noticed and pitched a film. Disney brass was impressed, decided to allow him to further the property in ways they haven't understood. Disney is not good with blind-faith efforts. The recent YouTube uploads and Muppets.com clips can only take the characters so far. This Studio DC Almost Live project is target marketing intended to merge the Muppets with properties geared toward their key demographic. It wasn't meant for much more than that. I just wish it had been.

In a nutshell - I see Disney as laying the groundwork they can so that people better equipped to make actual product will receive an adequate audience of old fans and newcomers. It’s kind of a non-handling-handling of them.

7. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

And the weird thing is, someone said that kids "didn't get it" ... which actually provides me with both joy and irritation. Irritation that no one seems to appreciate the Muppets, but JOY that kids found it hard to figure out ... HELLO ... it was hard to figure out because it was a poorly written plot! The fact that kids picked up on that tells me that, had the special made sense, they would have liked the characters more.

Exactly ... though it's hardly a Disney problem. I pray the Hensons have better luck with the Fraggles and such.

And, if you want to prove that the Muppets aren't "just for kids" ... introducing them to a bunch of elementary school-aged kids seems a weird choice.

8. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

Yeah Jamie, I to did notice that about Piggy's head looked like it kept changing! I knew I WASNT losing it haha! :) In the "Bop to the Top" number Piggys head and ears looked alight (maybe the Piggy puppet from IAVMMCM) and then after she said "I'll show her how to shake some booty!" her eyes and ears looked off to me. But last years Piggy head (from Americas Got Talent) her eyes and head looked bad to me...I got it taped, so I popped it in this afternoon and she looked off again to me...maybe her eyes...thay looked BIG or something?

EDIT: btw, isn't some of the Puppet Heap people old Henson puppet/muppet builders? hmmm...

9. Luke

Luke Active Member

Whatever has been said about the content or reception of this special, just have to say massive respect to Steve Whitmire - he must have put so much effort into this learning Bop To The Top and all the exact choreography. I think it looked like Asheley Tisdale put a lot of effort into being able to work with the Muppet as well and really had some chemistry going. Mileys performance just seemed a bit over-reacted, like they put her in a studio, told her to stand next to "this puppet" and do whatever moves or facial expressions, lol.

It does pain me a bit to see kids commenting on Youtube saying things like "and when the Jonas brothers said to the puppet" when they are referring to the Miss Piggy. Didn't really realise how much time has moved on, even since the Muppets last did a special or movie that had a decent audience. *sigh*

10. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

That's actually kinda the way she acts in her show, too. I watched enough of it over the last month looking for "Studio DC" commercials. :eek:

Whitmire's performance in Studio DC was fantastic! Just brilliant. Definitely a highlight of the show.

11. TeacherLady

TeacherLady New Member

Studio DC Almost Live

That was by far the worst thing ever done with the Muppet characters ever. No wait, their appearance on the Funniest Home Videos may take that title. Disney doesn't know what the **** to do with them and it's obvious they really don't care. The writing was not funny, the acting horrific, and the Muppets were so much better than this... It's like seeing your favorite rockstars come out for a reunion tour with their music written by some jingle writer.
    Of course it's great to see the Muppets on TV, but it makes my soul shrivel to see them make ANY appearance rather than quality ones.
    I'm not saying that no one could handle the Muppets post- Jim Henson and post-Jerry Juhl, but there's got to be something better than this. I don't want to feel grateful simply to see the Muppets make it on TV, I want to feel the Muppeteers and their fantastic character are being given material worthy of such an institution.

12. Luke

Luke Active Member

So um, she can't act then .... unfortunate (for her), good job her dads Billy Ray Cyrus then, lol.

I saw a co-producer of this was Jim Lewis, and pretty much the same people as the Muppets.com stuff were on the team. Although i guess they had to use Disney writers and directors, had loads of script notes to feature all the show plugs, and probably only had the actors for very little time, not time enough for them to be given any understanding of how to act around a puppet, or well um, how to actually teach them how to act. I guess this is a lesson for us all that if you are handed lemons, you can only make lemonade, not a nice vintage wine. :smirk::insatiable::p

13. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

My plain & simple opinion of this "special": it was horrible.

The wait seems to actually be getting longer for Segel & Stoller's film.

:sympathy:

14. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

That's the way they all act on those tween shows. Notice the "performance" of the character "London". That kind of way-over-the-top overacting just drives me up the wall. It makes Jim Carrey look positively subtle by comparison.

I don't even know where this style first cropped up. It doesn't come from primetime sitcoms, or even from the original tween Disney show, "Saved By the Bell". The first place I noticed it was on a CBS Saturday morning show called "Cake". Then I started to notice it on all these Disney channel shows... but the more recent ones, not even the ones from a few years ago. I've seen an episode or two of "Lizzie Maguire" and I don't remember the acting being like this. Now, that's all you see in these shows. Just dreadful!

And that's another part of the problem with this show. The Muppets' characters got buried under the "stars" overacting. Gonzo seemed like he was on Valium.

I could write for the Muppets... but nobody's asking me.

:p

15. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Please Earl, please, won't you write for the Muppets? Please? Pretty please? :sympathy:

I can't pay you, or promise your material will even be used, or recognized by Disney, or see the light of day up on the big (or small) screen, but PLEASE man. Somebody has GOT to do something about this!

My hope is that The Next Muppet Movie (or whatever they decided to call it) will be our saving grace. In the meantime though, have you sent any letters or talked to anyone at Disney? Cuz that would be fAnTaStIc if they picked you up!

Cheers friend,
    :)
    Anthony

16. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour Active Member

:smirk:
    I remember allot of this bad over acting stuff on those old Nick shows like All That and Welcome Freshmen.
    It also really reminds me of how people act on Barney and that's a show for babies...

17. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where you can download this special online?

18. pattywack

pattywack New Member

Yeah I've seen quite a few comments on youtube, and most are really positive! Of course they're more excited about they disney stars, but I found some who thought the muppets were interesting and stuff, which is good!

Umm I got one off a torrent, not sure if it'll work yet, it's still downloading.

19. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

i noticed the piggy thing too and shrugged, piggy's always changing maybe shes trying a new look

i personally still feel gonzo looked a bit off in his skit where he was script reading with swedish chef

now some more comments
    i did notice the english sentence chef said but i thought it was just me so i shrugged it off

as for the electric mayhem management with scooter heres my take on it, i feel scooter could manage them but seeing how pepe is he probably blurted that out just to ...whats the word...look cool to miley, and like always dragged rizzo along
    yea it was def to short and need to be an hour special and not a half hour jammed with long commercials for disney shows, and it did need a few more muppets
    like everyone big kudos to steve whitmire for the number with kermit

20. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Now this is an interresting opinion. This guy works in the industry and feels the same way a lot of us do. Would you agree the world of animation is hurting due to cable stations flocking to moronic live action kiddy fodder? I really would love to hear an insider's opinion, since I can't even afford to get the shoes to get my foot in the door.