Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
UNBELIEVABLE! Roger Langridge did a superb job. A beautiful tribute to The Muppets and Jim Henson, finally! Highly recommended. I can't wait for the next issue!
:flirt:

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I finally got the first issue and I enjoyed every moment of it.

I mean it was almost like a regular show of the Muppets, but it was in comic book format.

I can't wait for the Fozzie centered issue next month.:embarrassed:

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Okay, I've read the ten-page online preview, and read the description at Muppet Wiki, but does the comci ever say what the letter Kermit got was all about? Seems like an important plot point, and the description at Muppet Wiki makes a point of mentioning it, but what is the letter about that makes Kermit homesick?

Yes it is explained in the issue just what was the letter about. :smile:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
It's explained that the letter was from a cousin telling him that the tree where he was born was pulled down to make way for a new butterfly overpass.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I'm hoping to find it in Books-A-Million when i go over there sometime this coming weekend. But as much as i have heard i can't wait to read it. I'll finally have a new comic to buy since i haven't bought comics in years. I used to buy the Sonic the Hedgehog but stopped after getting my last one in the mail.

SgtGonzoPepper

Reaction score
Man, I can not wait for this. I ordered it from BOOM! the 22nd, and it's still processing. :attitude: This book looks amazing.

DTWolf

Reaction score
Sorry to spoil the mood, but . . .

Personally I was a bit disappointed.

Now I'm very pleased that someone is making a Muppets comic. And certainly this comic is being done by folks who have the right idea. The format of alternating between onstage skits and backstage storyline is absolutely the right way to go. The type of humor is what we saw on the Muppet Show. And clearly the creators love and know the Muppets. This could have been (and in other hands doubtless would have been) much much worse.

So they're going in the right direction, I just don't think they got there.

• The Kermit story was weak. "Kermit being homesick" wasn't a good choice to build a whole issue around. It lacked the substance to carry the tale while being downbeat enough to drag down the fun of the rest of the material. It struck the wrong tone.

• In general I don't think they have the timing right--which is crucial to humor but very hard to manage in a comic book (since the reader's eye can wander to the end of the joke before reading the rest of it).

• And worst of all I can't stand the way Kermit's head is drawn. I don't mind some stylization of characters, but this is too much--Kermit's head is not a gumdrop with eyes.

EDIT: Oh yeah--I do intend to keep buying it, though!

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Oh please. DT Wolf, you got it all wrong. Comics are meant to be distorted and strange, off beat if you will. It was a miraculous tribute to everything Henson. Langridge hit every beat... Just great. I felt like a kid again. He certainly got it right.