1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by GelflingWaldo, Mar 25, 2009.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I'm so glad your here and feel free to to stop by anytime. I'm so glad that there are some real die hard Muppet fans working on this.
  2. Amy

Amy Member

Nah, sorry, no spoilers ;).
    You'll get hints once the covers start coming out. I'll be sharing cover duties with Dave 'Mouse Guard' Petersen (cover artist for Robin Hood).

As for release, Peter Pan #1 will be out some time in Aug-Sep, that's really all I know right now.
  3. uppitymuppity

uppitymuppity Member

I love your cover Amy and am looking forward to the Peter Pan issue! Doesn't the second Muppet Show comic book come out today? I need to call and have my copy reserved. Glad to see you here and good luck.
  4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to your Peter Pan. Please forgive my presumption that the Midtown cover characters appeared to be traced. It's such common practice these days especially in the Muppet art arena (as a fan you know) that I leapt to judgement from glancing at the online jpeg. It is good work. Maybe too good in some places, but that should be praised. ;)

It is cool that you are actually researching the history of the drawn characters and their previous model sheets. I've seen a lot of the same reference art in my dealings and maybe that's how I got that impression. It's hard to get a realistic idea of the body of work from a cover because by nature the characters are mugging rather than interacting (as covers and posters usually go). Your work and method are honored by this frogboy. It's comforting to know that on top of lifelong fandom, you have also done your homework.

As previously said - I particularly dig your Miss Piggy and of course your Kermit as well. He's so hard to peg and you've done so beautifully. Since the variant covers are expensive I'll be picking and choosing those by most attractive piece than by artist. I chose Alvarez last time, next time might be yours.

I just got back from the comic shop and Robin Hood had not come in! I did get the A & B Fozzies and it was good. Not as good as the Kermit, but still nicely done. Langridge did give Fozzie a tail! It wasn't that bad, but maybe you could send on a model sheet to him. :o Wocka Wocka!

So, is Kermit cast as Peter Pan? Is Scooter in it (I always imagine Scooter as Pan for some reason)?
  5. Amy

Amy Member

When I said model sheets, I mean I'm making my own. Over half my career was spent in traditional animation, so I'm very used to studying characters and deconstructing them to see how they're put together. I'm sure we've all seen the same concept drawings of the Muppets over the years. ;)

Absolutely, I agree. It's always a bit frustrating when the powers-that-be want a 'smile and wave' picture for covers when I like doing covers with more of a story or that tell a little joke. The Midtown cover was done to a very specific brief from Midtown Comics, but thankfully, all the other work I've done on the Muppets, they've allowed me free reign to do my own layouts and more acting with the characters, which is always good.

Kermit is by far the most challenging character to really nail because his head is SO flexible, but I'm having a LOT of fun with that challenge. When I draw Kermit, I think 'How would Jim act this?'
    As for Piggy, I'm totally following Michael Frith's lead. His pinup work on Piggy is gorgeous and I want to carry that on.

And absolutely, you pick whichever covers take your fancy, I wasn't suggesting for a minute to BUY MY COVERS RARGH or anything like that! Everyone is going to have different tastes on which issues they'd like to get and that's cool. :)
    Dave Alvarez' first cover is indeed an awesome piece of work.

There is a Fozzie variant cover of mine for Muppet Show #2 out there somewhere, but I haven't yet managed to find out who's selling it!:p
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Oh, totally... I remember Alverez (the one that did the varient cover for Meltdown) show us that he had to change several things over and over...in the original cover, it had a slightly depressed/disgruntled looking Kermit, and the publishers or licensees wanted none of that.

Anyway, as for Muppet Peter Pan, I can make a bunch of guesses as to whos's who.... but I'm gonna wait until official stuff pops up. Lookin' forward to it.
  7. Amy

Amy Member

They actually don't have a general problem with it, it's just that for this very very first issue, they wanted the happy wave-y covers.
    They wanted covers that said 'Hey, remember these fun guys?' rather than 'Hey, look what's happening here!', which I can sort of understand from a marketing perspective.

Now that the title has been established, we have much more freedom to show their emotional range. I did the B cover for Robin Hood #4 (which has not appeared online yet, dunno why) and that cover is a pure visual gag.
    They'd suggested some ideas which were just scenes from the inside story, but I took one of them and made it into a joke. They loved it.
  8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

For those who have read issue #2, does it include any human-like characters, like how issue #1 had The Zimmer Twins?
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Oh, cool! I suppose this means no toothy or tailed Muppets. The Muppets once had great illustrators in the 80s that really captured the charm of the puppets as they actually looked. I like Langridge's fun Muppets, but I'd also like to see some classic renderings.

You're creating your own book on the character likenesses? Have you thought about using some of your original model sheet images and production art for the credits page? The ones Boom has composed so far could use someting of greater visual interest. Just a thought. Henson fans love to peek behind the curtain. :)
  10. Amy

Amy Member

I do what my editor asks of me, it's not my place to go suggesting extras for titles I am not the 'official' artist for. For the comics Roger is drawing, it's allllll his work. Dave Alvarez and I and other artists are just ring-ins for the cover duties.

Also bear in mind, these comics are NOT first and foremost being done for the die-hard fans. Disney has big plans for the Muppets and their first priority is getting kid readers engaged.
    Boom! is keen to bring comics back to children, so it's win-win for both parties. All the Boom Pixar/Muppet titles come under their new Boom!Kids label. So I can't imagine they'll be including 'behind the scenes' concept sketches in the issues.

However, these comics WILL be collected into graphic novels at the end of each arc for sale in bookstores, so there might be room for Bonus Arty Features there. But again, I have no idea what they have in mind.

I just supply the artwork, I have no say in the presentation of the final product.
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I get it. I just thought the recycled art on the credits page could be replaced by conceptual sketches or art that didn't make the issue. I thought you could do something different and pretty in your Pan comics unlike the free-transformed panel art they've been doing for the credits page in the Langridge issues. It's an unused piece of real estate - an opportunity for something different.
  12. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

--Edit-- to be clear. I don't think you read me right. I wasn't suggesting some big "Behind the Scenes" spread or anything of that sort.

My post was a suggestion that in your Muppet Peter Pan comic issues you could use a piece or two of the intriguing conceptual art you are doing on the credits page instead of using recycled art already in the issue like has been done in the past two Muppet Show comic books. I think people of all ages would enjoy seeing some of the conceptual or unused art you're doing and your issue would be a great place to put that. It was meant as a compliment - and I'm very curious to see some of this art you've built for the characters. :D
  13. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Okay, I understand. But, assuming it doesn't coutn as a spoiler question, do you at least plan on including some obscure Muppet characters?
  14. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Just the other day i bought the first comic. I'm finally glad that i was able to find it. I bought both A and B covers. I'm going to try and get all the covers but it only depeads. It's awsome! I'm loving every bit and piece of the storyline. Can't wait for the others to come.
  15. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Well you're in luck Kyle baby. TMS Issue 2 should already be available at most comic shops. Hope this helps.
  16. Amy

Amy Member

That's not up to me, that's up to the writer.
    I'm just drawing the thing.

I imagine she's chosen whichever characters she feels will suit the Peter Pan cast the best.
    My personal preference is for any characters up to Muppet 3D, but that's just me. I'm more a Jim acolyte than an all-encompassing Muppet fan. Again, I'm not writing it, so not my decision.

Kermit is Peter, though. I think that's so obvious it's exempt from the spoiler warning. ;)
  17. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I'm getting so frustraded with just trying to find these comics. I have been to and called all the comic shops and nothing. One guy said he would order them for me, but it's going to take a least 3 weeks to get it. I'm thinking well i could have done that, but I'm the type of person who wants to go to a store and buy my stuff, not order it online. I would almost say that one of these stores should give me the first comic free, just for all the trouble I have had.
  18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

It is my understanding that Boom is printing these in smaller batches in order to make sure they will sell through. They will be printing more batches of this same issue, but I don't think they want product lingering on shelves. I suppose the one best way to get them is through their own site, but they do take a little time mailing them. The last Wednesday of each month is when new titles come out. I show up that day to get mine, but San Francisco does still have several comic book store options. I like getting my stuff in stores too.
  19. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Thanks Ed but i when i got them at the comic book store (which is about an hour or so away from where i live, they would have already been out but they didn't have it even on the rack. So i thought maybe they didn't get it yet. I'll have to check back later on. Thanks agian.
  20. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Nuts! I was hoping it was Sherri Netherland :D

You know, I bought the second one just yesterday, and the comic book store owner said that he ordered double issues, because #1 sold so well. They had 3, 2 when I left. And I went to all these other comic shops (2 free comics per person? Come on! I know the recession is bad, but it really should be 3 per person), and they only had one left in every store I went to, if any. They had quite a few Incredibles and Cars lying around, but it seems that they really struck a nerve with the Muppets.

Oh yeah, the review.... :"automobubbling?" Perfectly Muppety. :wisdom: Both the debuts of Muppet Labs and Vet's Hospital were great. I especially like how Vets turned out. I still have to say, loving those Muppet-style bits with random pigs and birds and frogs are excellent. Proving it doesn't need to have Kermit, Fozzie, or Gonzo to fit into the Muppet Show's over all aesthetic. And gotta love the Fozzie character study. Who would have thought that he actually does research? And it totally fits into character. I wonder if he had any parallels to that Clown guy he created before this.... I gotta start readin' that.