Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Judging by cover B, it looks like issue 4 will have some sort of Sound of Music parody.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Miss Piggy looks really nice on the huge character splash page of episode one. I wonder what happened to her design? I do like those compositions, but the pig looks a little wonky. :confused:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Okay, I know that Kermit sings the swamp song at the end, but does he perform it backstage or on-stage?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know that Kermit sings the swamp song at the end, but does he perform it backstage or on-stage?
On stage.

Oh, and I just ordered the Alvarez variant cover. I didn't like the Midtown cover that much as it appeared to be traced more than drawn like Dave's fantastic Meltdown cover. However, both Miss Piggys are fabulous.

peyjenk

Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed that the cover that I draw for Meltdown is available now trough their website: http://www.meltcomics.com/shop/ I'm glad that you like it! Thanks!:smile:
Your style is lovely... I like yours a lot better than Landridge's! You have captured the "essence" of the characters while still being a little avant-garde. I look forward to seeing more!

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I went to Borders today to try to find it, but the employees had no idea what I was talking about :/

Drtooth

Reaction score
After going to a good 4 comic shops (don't think it was that tough... I know of 3 in one city, all near each other) I actually found one copy. Considering they all had the other BOOM! comics (At least The Incredibles), I think they sold solidly in that area, so that's a good sign. Next time, I ain't waiting a week. (Kinda slipped my mind last week. Worst of it was, I was about to go into the very same comic shop I got it in and opted not to)

So my review. Nothing short of brilliance. As someone who has done lots and lots of "practice comics" using other people's characters (an excersize in seeing if I'm able to copy the writing styles of various shows while capturing the characters)... the Muppet Show isn't the easiest thing to work into a comic (especially the Swedish Chef)... but I say that Langridge nailed it, while of course keeping true to his own style. I have stacks of old Gold Key and Whitman published comics based on looney Tunes that came off as generic (any cartoon character can be put in the same situations... Daffy didn't seem Daffy at all in it... And Chilly Willy didn't work at all). I once read a Yogi Bear Carlton Comics reprint (and a Flintstones one) that was just UnBEARable. Wocka Wocka.

Langridge seems to have captured the essence of most of the characters... Other than sort of flip flopping Statler and Waldorf's roles (I thought Waldorf was the one that made the wise cracks), he managed to make the characters, while making them his own. As for the stylization? I think it worked better on some characters than others. The Newsman looked great. Made him look a lot more animated. And it's great to see that Gonzo came all that way from looking bird like. And even writing a song we don't know the tune of in text worked very well here. We got this sweet story about Kermit that would have fit in perfectly with the show (with, I might say, a little more narrative).

I think the real highlight was the Pigs in Space 2 pager. It makes me wish they'd devote an entire comic line to PIS as well. He managed to make Link as air headed and self absorbed, Piggy as sassy, and Strangepork as "I can't believe you two"-y asI come to expect.

So a definite strong start, but I can't wait to pick up the next issue, where the bugs are more worked out. After all, this is a first issue... but it made a great first impression.