1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by GelflingWaldo, Mar 25, 2009.

1. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

See thats what I thought to, but when talking with the Comic book guys they seemd not to order it, just because they didn't think it would sell!
    Now correct me if I'm wrong but havn't these bein getting sold out in stores? So of corse they would get sold. People love the Muppets, and they seem to love these comics.
    I've got one store ordering me the first two comics. They are second prints. Which is fine since i really don't want to collect them I just want to have them, and read them. I must say however that the people that run the comic books stores are some of the niceset people i think I've ever met. However I think from now on I'm going to ethier order the comics from Boom or from Bell Book and Comic, and help support the Muppetcast,
  2. AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

I gotta say, I liked the second issue of the Muppet Show comic book even more than the first. It seemed like the voice of the characters was a little more spot-on, and the Fozzie story seemed like something that could have come right out of an actual Muppet Show episode. Keep up the good work!
  3. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

4. Amy Member

That seems to be the attitude of SOME comic sellers, but not all.
    The 'selling out' that people are reading about is Diamond, the distributer, selling out of their initial print run - because it's all been pre-bought by, yep, comic sellers.
    It could very well be that some comic stores simple can't GET the comics because they're not quick enough to order them when they first appear in Previews.

Don't forget, also, that these comics will also be showing up in mainstream markets through a different distributor. I asked some friends who have been collecting comics their whole lives, and they assert that comics for newstands are usually released several months after their debut in the direct market (comic stores). So while we might have to wait a little for further print runs, there WILL be more copies of the Muppet Show slowly reappearing.

Half the reason Muppets is doing so well in direct market is that the Muppets have a huge retro cult following. Pixar characters are much newer and Cars especially is a HUGE hit with kids. I imagine the Pixar titles will do amazingly well once they're in a place parents can easily find them.

That came out last month, it's been on Boom's site for a while. My first Muppet cover :) If you go to Midtown's site, they have it marked down to about 8 bucks.
    There IS a retail variant out there somewhere for Muppet Show #2 which I also did, but I haven't seen it anywhere. It's got Fozzie on it and it's driving me nuts.
  5. frogboy4 Inactive Member

I know you can't show us, but could you tell us what Fozzie is doing on your cover? I'm curious. :o

This Muppet comics launch seems to be very cautious so far, but that's a good thing. Still, a lot of comic shop owners have been upset about delayed orders or an insufficient number of copies to stock. It's good to know that will be remedied soon.
  6. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Wow I'm so glad that you are here Amy answering our questions. I love that cover, but where there some leagal issuses with it, because Sony owns the Muppets take Manhatan, so I wonder if that was a porblem.
  7. Amy Member

Not that I'm aware of. The design of that cover was a very specific request by Midtown, so I'd say any resemblance to Muppets Take Manhattan was a deliberate parody. But I have heard of no legal problems with it at all.
    I did the cover as requested, it went onto Midtown's shelves just fine and it's still there to buy if people want.
  8. Amy Member

Look for a watercolour-style cover of Fozzie doing the Tragedie-Comedie masks type thing.
  9. The Narrator New Member

Finally had a chance to read Issue #2 over the weekend. It always takes a couple pages before the artwork really "clicks" for me, but once it did, I enjoyed this book much more than the first issue. The Fozzie Bear storyline felt a bit more real to me (that is, truer to a Muppet Show storyline) and I found I could actually hear more of the Muppets voices in my head. It had its moments of faltering (Statler and Waldorf seemed a bit off me), but if the books continue to improve then I should be a very happy camper come the next issue.
  10. Drtooth Well-Known Member

The only real complaint I have is that Statler and Waldorf's dialogue seems like it was interchanged, as if Waldorf was saying Statler's set ups, and Statler was cracking Waldorf's punchlines. But then again, it took me a while to get that down myself.... Not really a big deal, I like how they're represented... but seems like they need to switch word bubbles most of the time.
  11. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I've noticed that Mildred seems to be in every issue so far. Shes in the preview comic, in the first two issues, and she's on both covers of issue 3. Could she be one of Langridge's favorite characters?
  12. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about who could be who in Muppet Peter Pan. I don't know if this would be the best thread to post it in, or if I should post my own cast list in the "comic wishes" thread, or if I should start a seperate thread. I know that the illustrator of the comic is here, and I'm not sure if the staff should see such suggestions. I wouldn't mind if my ideas were later "stolen", and I'm sure casting has already been decided, but still.....
  13. Amy Member

The casting is indeed already set and the comic is already in production.
    I can't stop anyone from speculating about it, so no skin off my nose if people want to discuss it.
    Just don't expect any confirmations from me and I'll stay out of the conversations.
  14. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Well we know Kermit is Peter, but is Miss Piggy Wendy, Tinkerbell or both? Does Janice get into the mix? Do they go funky with Tinkerbell and make it Pepe or Rizzo? I have a feeling that Fozzie, Scooter and Animal will be either Darlings or Lost Boys, but will Gonzo be Hook? Who would be Mr. Smee? I'm sure like Muppet Treasure Island we'll get pirates like Sweetums and Lew, but what about Angel Marie, Clueless and Polly? Crazy Harry would be nice. So many questions. I know Amy can't answer them.

I do have a question. Has your animation background helped you with the Pan project? ;)
  15. MUPPETMONKEY Active Member

16. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

AH! So impressive! I LOVE his expression and outfit--classic Gonzo! The goldfish on top is an awesome touch! Great stuff! I like this one and can't wait to see your other cover too!
  17. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

It's interesting, in an interview Roger Langridge said he was going to try to work Pigs in Space into every issue, but based on what I've read at Muppet Wiki, it seems that the sketch is not in issue #2. I'm not complaining, but it is interesting.
  18. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Pigs in Space is in it. The pages for Fozzie's Story go as follows:
    Cover (any number of assortments)
    Credits
    Statler & Waldorf Intro
    Opening Credits 2 Page Splash
    Backstage
    Merry Oldsmobile Number
    Backstage
    Fozzie Stage Drama
    Backstage
    Muppet Labs (2 pages)
    Backstage
    Fozzie Stage Act
    Backstage
    Ubiquitous Quilp Number
    Veterinarian's Hospital
    The Great Fozzie (Gonzo) Stage Act (2 pages)
    Fozzie & Rowlf Bar Chat
    Pigs in Space
    Fozzie Final Stage Act
    Backstage
    Fozzie's Dressingroom with Rowlf
    Adverts and Q&A
    Muppet Robin Hood Ad
    Incredibles Ad
    Back Cover (featuring Fozzie on stage)

The Pigs bit isn't the funniest (not all the classic skits were funny), but it is in character.
  19. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Seems to be a huge varity and it's great to see the Fozzie and Rowlf relationship again.
  20. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Oh, I guess the Muppet Wiki page just didn't mention it.