1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Season 2

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Jul 20, 2007.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Being a "replacement" puppeteer is rather thankless and difficult role to fulfill, having to take over the voice and personality of a popular character. So I don't critique the performers too much. :)

I think a lot of the critique is more with the writing rather than the performers themselves. There has been an overall attitude change that not everyone likes (and they don't have to). Not just because it's different, but because it doesn't seem right.

Of course I'd rather not "blame" anybody. It's very difficult trying to recreate Jim's work and I commend them for making the effort. :)
  2. Bear Man

Bear Man Member

Of course Steve Whitmire is putting his own take on Kermit into the performance! He's an artist, that is both his right and his duty. If not, he'd only be ever doing an impersonation, and then people would be complaining that Kermit has no life of his own, that the technique of the performer is perfect, but there is no creativity or spark. It's this sort of "nothing is ever allowed to evolve or change" attitude that causes problems for any new Muppet productions. You get fans screaming for something new, and then going up in arms because Gonzo used the word (*gasp!*) "nipple". "Why can't we have something new?" and "Why can't things stay the same?" just can't exist properly together. As time goes on, both in life and in art, people and characters must change - their looks, their voices, their personalities. If they don't, it becomes old, tired, stale, boring.
  3. heralde

I think that's very true. I don't envy the performers in this task, they are doing the best they can and not always appreciated for it.

About the whole issue of "old and new" Muppet projects in general, it's obviously very complicated. I'm glad at least that we're able to discuss it in a respectful manner. :)
  4. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

I'll point out the exact things he does that bug me ok?
    The "uh yeaaah" "ook uh uh yeah yeah" "oh wow!" "ok!" uh uh uh"
    mhmmm yeah when he does that it bothers me because the only time I ever recall kermit doing that is when he was being a smug movie star in muppet take Manhattan but steve does it all the time if he didn't do those little gestures I'd be 100% fine with his kermit.
    Like I said I don't have a problem with steve infact I love some of his own characters like bean bunny who now take a back burner because hes doing jims characters it's my opinion that he's getting better but it's not cigar for him from me. Sorry I just call em' as I see em'
  5. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

Steve's Kermit mugs for the camera like Rizzo. It's just how he performs. He also uses the phrase "good point" a lot. It's his verbal crutch. We all have them. In fact he uses it with Kermit on the DVD menu. I'd just like to see Kermit go back to have dry wit. Steve can do it to. Kermit was spot on in MCC and even MTI. He was also rather good in AVMMC. Its the non-scripted stuff that gets wonky.
  6. TheJimHensonHour

I agree Muppet treasure island is a good example of him doing a good job.
    I'm starting to wonder though it's not some one else telling to make kermit more peppy and not the dry wit kind of guy jim made him into be.
  7. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I got this today and thought I'd post my comments. So far I just watched the ep with Mr. Furley, er, I mean Don Knotts so I can't go much further than that. I liked the interactive menu parts with :) and :o on the first disk, especially Fozzie's joke about the DVD menu. As for the episode itself, I liked it. I finally saw Richard Hunt's first attempt at Janice. Seems like his original voice for the character was sort of a combo of her current voice and Erin's original Janice voice, though it did sound quite a bit like the original Hunt Miss Piggy. Anyway, just thought I'd comment on that. I guess there was a difference in 'The Muppet Show Book' then in the actual episode. In the book, after Floyd told Fozzie that he had been de-shaded, Fozzie's response was.... "Awww, just when I got used to working in the dark." But on the show, Don told Fozzie that it wasn't so bad being square. I forget his exact words though. Anyway, I'll write more as I watch more eps.
  8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. Of course, I'd only seen that ending a few times before having the DVD (I had taped the episode on Nickelodeon, but my tape stopped halfway before it ended, during What a Wonderful World).
  9. heralde

Yes it's really interesting to see how her voice and even the character started to develop as the episodes went on. :flirt:
  10. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

That's too bad. I always liked that song. I heard it on the radio yesterday. I'm glad they changed it and used a different theme for "Family Matters" though. "As Days Go By" fit the show's premise much better. Now, I'm changing the subject. Anyway, in general I liked that Rowlf sang the song to that small cute puppy. It reminded me of our dog.

Yeah, fer sure. I'm like totally waiting to see the Rich Little episode when she first started talking like she does now. Rully.
  11. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

I just got mine a few days ago! :)
  12. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

The Muppet impersonations that Rich Little does aren't so hot. It's like at the very last second they told him to do that, or he offered last second.
  13. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

I agree. I hate his impressions of the muppets and i hate that the muppets acted like they were good. It was much funnier in the Star Wars episode where Mark Hammil actually did decent ones and the muppets had no idea. Rich Little's Piggy just creeps me out.
  14. heralde

They did need a bit of work, but it can take time to develop impressions, they don't always just come up out of nowhere. And maybe he was thrown off by the whole puppet thing.
  15. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Also, The Muppet Show was still a bit new at the time, with only one season. Fozzie, Piggy, Statler, and Waldorf hadn't been around very long yet.
  16. heralde

That's a good point as well. Fozzie and Piggy in particular were still developing as characters.
  17. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

That's all good and well, but he shouldn't have attempted to do the impressions if he couldn't do them, and he couldn't. They were bad. When someone is a professional there is no reason to have to make excuses for them. It seems he just felt like he had to do them because all he does are impressions, but he should have stuck to what he did well, not forced out quick impressions.

They are just painful to listen to.
  18. heralde

Well it probably wasn't up to him, if that's what they wrote for him to do. It wasn't his show. And why have Rich Little on if he isn't going to do impressions of you? And if you want someone as a guest star, you don't tell them their impressions of you aren't working, hehe.

Plus, in doing the Muppets, he's kinda doing an impression of an impression. After all, the muppets are impressions of real "people", with their movments etc. It's not enough just to do the voice. It looked like he hadn't really taken the puppet movements into account. But then, even if he had, it would be hard for him to imitate, being a non puppet. It wouldn't always look the same.

In the end, no it wasn't perfect. But I think he had a very difficult job in imitating the Muppets. It wasn't horrible, he did his best. I did enjoy Mark Hamill's more, though they weren't perfect either, few impressions are. But he just went and had fun with it. And had a better idea of the movement. The whole skit was thought out better. And he had the benefit of stronger developed Muppet personalities (later on in the series). But in the end, they were both very talented. :)
  19. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

Maybe they were meant to be bad impressions on purpose, and the muppets thinking they were good was part of the humour of it all.
    Mark Hammil's impressions may have been the same gag in reverse, they muppets couldn't see how good his were, but Rich's sounded excellent to them.
    What weird creatures muppets are.:confused: :crazy: ;)
  20. TheJimHensonHour

lol well it means anything I didn't find any of Rich Little's impersonations to be very good.:o
    The only reason I even enjoyed that episode was because of the News Team outside interviewing him it was nice to see the Newsman outside of the studio & it was nice to see Mildred in a speaking role again.