1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

LOL! I was gonna say I'm like did I miss something :confused:
  2. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Something that really irritates me is that instead of ending with The Muppets grande moment, it ends with Gary asking Mary to marry him and...the completely inexplicable...lack of reply she gave him. "Mahna Mahna." Does that mean yes? Or "nah"? Or, "Maybe?" or "I dododo-dodo"? It gets at me everytime I don't like it.

What the wocka?
  3. Pinkflower7783

She smiled so I assumed that meant yes.
  4. Beauregard

Well, yes, but I kinda felt like it should have been more like: "Well...I...*aside* Mahnamahna...I" "Do do do do dodo."
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  5. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I just didn't like how staged it looked. To me, the whole acting and stuff in that little snippet was so terrible that it looked as if Gary and Mary had planned that ahead of time.

And plus, to me it seems like "Mahna Mahna" is a negative phrase...
  6. Beauregard

Agreed! It totally pulls me out of the movie. Its almost as if it were a stunt pulled by the actors on each other (if they were a real couple) rather than something done by the characters in the movie. Like, if it had been Kermit suddenly saying to the camera, "Keep rolling I'm gunna do this properly" and they'd left it in the movie, fine. HA! But I totally don't get it in this context. Did people (execs) just not feel like Gary/Mary's story had concluded (because I felt it did when they sang a whole song about it.) I also can't appreciate the celebrities singing the song then because I feel like They also aren't quite a behind-the-scenes-bonus, nor are they quite a in-movie-moment...weird. Add to that the choppiness of the Richman revelations, the "oil" joke and the Kermit/Piggy flashback reused as now and the ending is a bit of a chopped-liver situation.
  7. Pinkflower7783

Well given that Mary sang about Gary proposing to her in the beginning of the movie it was kind expected by the end he ask her. Nicholas has stated she did Infact say yes I mean to me the look on her face was kinda obvious she wasn't gonna say no. As for Kermit the day I expect him to propose FOR REAL is the day pigs have...ehh I'll just stop there. :p
  8. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

I actually thought the proposal and Mahna Mahna ending was kind of cute and didn't sully the movie in any way. Maybe it's just the way Amy Adams grabbed that goofy moment and ran with it; it just worked for me.

As I've previously mentioned, I found the ending montage rushed (especially Tex Richman's change of heart) but have no complaints about the Mahna Mahna ending otherwise. I would have run it through the entire closing credits (and topped it off with the official TMS closing theme and a Statler and Waldorf final comment) but hey, that's just me...
    Plaid Fraggle and Pinkflower7783 like this.
  9. Beauregard

Oh yes! The credits should totally have finished with a S&W moment and then Zoot blowing the final rift!
    LouisTheOtter and CaseytheMuppet like this.
  10. Pinkflower7783

I've never watched through all of the credits good to know I didn't miss anything.
  11. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

The "Mahna Mahna" thing (or at least the idea of having celebrities sing it during the credits) actually goes back to early drafts of the script.
  12. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

I recently had the strangest observation while thinking about the movie again (which I've been doing on a regular basis lately as we approach the first anniversary of its release and the Christmas season, which is always a Muppety time for me anyway)...

Before Walter does his big debut in the telethon, Kermit and the Muppets are frantically trying to think of a final act, and after the Scooter line that always makes me laugh ("We could get Bunsen to set Beaker on fire!" "MEE-MEE-MEE!"), Fozzie says, "I could bust out the fart shoes again!"

Now cut to the scene in which the Muppets are sadly leaving the theatre after losing it to Tex Richmond. We hear Fozzie's fart shoes, to which Rowlf quietly chastises him ("Not now, Fozzie").

What that means, essentially, is that Fozzie was so desperate to help Kermit and save the theatre that he ran backstage and got his questionable new patent-pending prop in the hopes that it would generate some laughs and dollars.

Yes, I know that's a bit of a stretch, but to me that illustrates that the heart Segel, Stoller and Bobin infused in this movie even extended to little gags like this, which is part of what still makes The Muppets special for me nearly a year later.
  13. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

There was a rumor going around that the fart shoes originally did it, essentially being a Checkov's Gun, meaning it had real reason to be there. If that was true, it must've been in an earlier draft. But I do like that theory of yours. it does seem like the sort of thing Fozzie would do.
  14. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I liked the fart shoes!
  15. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I'll be honest, if the movie had ended that way my blog review wouldn't have been nearly so complimentary. :shifty: Heh
  16. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well ya cant really rely on fart shoes to save the day, but they sure are funny!
  17. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Like I said, it would probably have been a source of massive annoyance to the cast because that was what it took. But it only works as a Checkov's Gun joke.

Of course, I kinda complained about a similar joke in that Meatball film I hate so much (I've seen 10 minutes, and that's 10 minutes more than what I wanted to see from it).

Plus, the brick joke they had instead was much funnier anyway. Too bad it happened so late into the end of the movie and became a rushed bit.
  18. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

19. Pinkflower7783

Some of these threads really need to be combined. :o
  20. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Pinkflower7783 likes this.