Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
I'll say for the last time I'm not anti-Disney, I like allot of Disney things, just not many modern things they have done.
I do love the Pirates movies, and I'm done here I tried to make a light hearted joke but people want to look at everything as negative, You may think I'm being negative but I'll just wait to see for myself what they do and don't do, and when things go good or bad, we're all going to be there reguardless so can we please stop pointing fingers at one another already?
Just for the record, I didnt take it like that. I saw your humour, I was just trying to make a point.

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
People keep spouting anti-Disney remarks, talking about Montana's and High School musicals
Those two are amongst the most significant reasons we should be optomistic. Their finding success through all kinds of different franchises. Its not like the muppet movie will be like either of these... these guys are successful movie people, their going to put together something dynamite, their new flick is getting amazing reviews...

I havent seen either HM or HSM to be honest, but I dont really have to, think about the bottom line surrounding the overall popularity of both... millions of people happy. Where have we heard that before...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's an interesting point. We want TV shows and movies to be popular and accepted by a mass audiences, obviously. We want them to make people happy. But then again, there are a lot of TV shows and movies that are hugely popular, but don't necessarily deserve to be so (not referring to anything in particular here, just saying). So popularity doesn't always equal quality.

::shrugs:: No big deal, just obviously art is a very subjective thing. :wink:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more Heralde. I personally would rather sit at home and watch TCM than go see the popular muck that is put out these days. You have to understand that there is a bottom line at work - it's about ticket sales ultimately. And there's an awful lot of crap that gets made and is a big hit - go figure. On the flipside there is some good stuff too. It's the yin and yang of it I suppose.

I have faith in this project because the talent they have brought in is somewhat interesting at the moment. Their comedy is working and they have a dream. All good things in my book. I do not think Brian Henson would have been a good choice (shower me with boos!)

Disney needs someone who is cooking the meat and letting us hear it sizzle! They got it!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I mean thankfully there has always been some good stuff that has also been popular at one point. And even if it loses the popularity at times, that can't take away the quality. :wink:

To be fair I'll have to research these guys more because I really don't know enough to comment.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I havent seen either HM or HSM to be honest, but I dont really have to, think about the bottom line surrounding the overall popularity of both... millions of people happy. Where have we heard that before...
I would agree with that if both were quality programs. They aren't. They are cheap, cliched pablum, and nothing more. And for every millions it makes happy, it makes 2 million very unhappy. Very unhappy indeed.

We're talking about Disney, a company that for years had no problem appealing to virtually every audience out there. The Families, the kids, the animation fans, and the general rest of the audience. HSM and HM appeal to girls and their mothers, and mybe their little brothers who have a crush on her. But make no mistake. How many times have you heard an Arthur Miller refference in HM? I miss quality shows like Animaniacs, Darkwing Duck, etc. Even Jimmy Neutron made you think.

That's what I like about the Muppets. Cross generational and cross target groups. Even Disney's movies did that. Why are Lion King, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast considered modern classics, as well as Timeless (dispite some of Robin's Genie impersonations)? They had appeal on multiple levels. HSM and HM are fads, dated before they were dated, and instantly forgettible.

That said, I think Disney is the ONLY entertainment company that has it together. Time Warner keeps losing money, doesn't know why and tries at blunderous cash grabs like Loonatics Unleashed. This caused them to (while getting higher network tv ratings) to sell their saturday morning block, and give up TV animation for fan service DC DTV's. Sony is losing cash left and right, and trying to blame everyone but themselves for why no one's buying CD's. Imagine if they bought the muppets. They'd've cracked down on any kind of music trading or youtube posting. Half of us would probably be indited. And yet, you ask them for more Real Ghostbuster cartoon DVD's, adn they'll say..."Duhh... it's a kid's show! No way!"

beaker

Reaction score
That's why, ironically, I think VMX and MFS are much better films. They had conceptual problems, no question, but the muppets actually Starred in it. VMX was about Kermit, MFS was about Gonzo. MCC was about Michael Cain, and MTI was about whoever played Jim Hawkins with Rizzo and Gonzo as comedic sidekicks (sort of like Philo and Gunge to Marjory the Trash Heap).
Oh gosh, I could watch VMX and MFS any day than I could any "classic retelling" the Muppets have done. It's hard for me to watch a Muppet film where they arent playing their zany selves. Oz to me is the absolute worst thing I've ever seen the Muppets involved with.

Also yeah a PG rating makes sense. When it was released, VMX was PG. Heck a lot of family films are pg-13, so a PG rating makes sense. Anything less seems like it'd be pandering

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think some of you here have it backwards. This is not a chance for Disney to "prove" it can do right by the Muppets. This is a chance for the Muppets to prove they can do right by Disney
Yeah I think both parties need to prove themselves. The ball is in Disney's court here, but the Muppets pre-Disney projects weren't entirely working either. So both parties need to prove something.

beaker

Reaction score
Lol, I can't follow you at all, I'm so sorry. But in my post when I listed the years, I thought it was easy to see that I was only listing theatrical movies (I could have sworn I put the word theatrical in there but I must have forgotten by mistake). For one, there are too many tv movies and specials that don't fit into the pattern. Secondly, according to the article that Cory posted, this movie is supposed to be theatrical! And by the time this one comes out, it will have been 11 years since a theatrical release! And I am SO GLAD because no matter how awesome tv specials are, it won't be nearly as epic as a theatrically released muppet movie.
Well I was in Los Angeles and Hollywood this weekend, and theres
Forgetting Sarah Marshall promotion all over and a big buzz about the film...so Stoller/Segal are kind of "it" guys right now...so this is definately positive news.

Its not like they went with two people whose only credits included making Disney channel stuff.

My iffy comment on the first page really was because I had never heard of these guys; and I was already in the frame of mind that it'd be a Brian/Bill team...tho hey, sometimes it takes fresh and new ways of approaching things.

I mean if they can pull this off, this will erase a lot of Muppets as "kids fodder" stigma and really bring em back to the spotlight

Given this will most likely dip into talent from the 40 year old virgin/knocked up/superbad crew, this will have a lot of crossover appeal and buzz amongst folks who'd otherwise laugh at the muppets(and not in the good way)

AND YES, there is nothing quite as awe inspiring than seeing a Muppet movie on the big screen(I saw Muppets Take Manhattan, MTI and MFS in their original theatrical runs...Muppets on the big screen, its epic)

beaker

Reaction score
Also, Disney has over 30 features in production for 3-D... Wouldn't it be cool if we got Muppets in 3D? Just a thought.
Not as a feature. Garfield to me sure doesnt work in 3d, and hes already a cartoon.

Also, Disney has over 30 features in production for 3-D... Wouldn't it be cool if we got Muppets in 3D? Just a thought.
Not as a feature. Garfield to me sure doesnt work in 3d, and hes already a cartoon.

The retro music of "Muppets from Space" caused the characters to appear even more like artifacts of the past rather than viable characters that live and breath in modern culture.

I see the Muppets like Coca-Cola. They are most enduring in classic form. They can alter the image a bit, but too much tampering with the formula leaves a bad aftertaste. :stick_out_tongue:
I dunno, I think it worked. Could you imagine if MFS was populated by 90's era "alt rock"? *shivers*

But your right, the Muppets need to be seen as viable characters that are hip and current...not old nostalgia

TV Guide has a quick peek into the How I Met Your Mother relaunch party (it comes back on Monday and I encourage everyone to watch! 8:30 on CBS!) and most of the cast was too busy getting grilled about Britney Spear's guest spot to say anything else, but Jason did mention this:

Segel also discussed his moonlighting as a big-time Hollywood writer when he's not working on HIMYM. "I'm writing the script to the next Muppet movie," he said. "The fact that I have been sitting in front of my computer working on something that I used to love as a kid is really big for me. It's like a dream come true."

C'mon you nay-sayers. Doesn't that make you want to smile even a little bit? The original link is here: http://community.tvguide.com/blog-e...arty-Central-Latest/Met-Mother-Cast/800035546

And Beau--I can't remember that episode! I must break out my Alias DVDs to find it! (Actually I really don't have a good memory of the show after seasons 1 and 2--I watched it religiously but everything kinda blended together once Sydney lost the two years.)
Yes it is. Given Stoller/Segal are apparently the hot new thing,
you can bet theres a lot of agents/industry people shaking their heads thinking "why are they throwing away their career with this move?"

People who think the Muppets return will be akin to Garfield/Alvin and the Chipmunks and every other braindead poorly conceptualized "revival" of old brands into modern movie going experiences will be surprised.

One type of film I’d like to see the Muppets do would be an old-style gangster period picture with many parodies and cameos of that genre. Kind of like the Muppet Show cast in Dog City. Not that this is what that is, but I think it would play well. The public likes gangster movies and the Muppets have always been skilled at skirting the gun issue in their plots.

I'm thinking this new project will be young and fresh while keeping the Muppets' classic mystique intact. It appears that these guys are fans. That could be a good thing.
I feel the Muppets need to be done with period films/classic retellings/etc

Have the Muppets working for some Google like company or something modern, and bring in Jim Lewis

Ack, I hope Jim Lewis will be involved in some capacity on this.
Question is...is Stoller hardcore enough to be able to write in obscure Muppets as well(Jim Henson Hour characters routinely pop up in Muppet films) or to be able to bring in folks like Jim Lewis?

Status
Not open for further replies.