Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Disney is pretty much at the top of their game. Previously I would pass on their features - not these days as they are all interesting and so well done. Wall-E looks wonderful.

Also, Disney has over 30 features in production for 3-D... Wouldn't it be cool if we got Muppets in 3D? Just a thought.

FennShysa

Reaction score
Muppets Wiz of Oz was crap we all know that - but, do you realize how many years ago that was? I mean, Ashanti has fallen into obscurity and Disney has gone on to produce some of the most amazing works. Can I safely say that Ratatouille should have been in the best film category for the Oscars.
Pixar may be Disney now, but Disney is *not* Pixar - especially in the case of Ratatouille, which was originally intended to be Pixar's first film produced outside the original Disney deal, before the whole bought/takeover thing happened...

Redsonga

Reaction score
Pixar may be Disney now, but Disney is *not* Pixar - especially in the case of Ratatouille, which was originally intended to be Pixar's first film produced outside the original Disney deal, before the whole bought/takeover thing happened...
I agree, most of the new films are mostly Pixar made, even if Disney took them over (I love Disney, but they still are not the same thing IMHO).

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
You're all right it is Pixar but isn't the merge another example of great decision making by Disney?

If you read Variety you will see that Disney is going through some sort of renaissance lately. Lots of great decisions. I just hope the Muppets idea is a part of that positive wave.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You're all right it is Pixar but isn't the merge another example of great decision making by Disney?

If you read Variety you will see that Disney is going through some sort of renaissance lately. Lots of great decisions. I just hope the Muppets idea is a part of that positive wave.
I see that too. There's less of an iron fist and more flexibility and creative freedom.

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
Disney is pretty much at the top of their game. Previously I would pass on their features - not these days as they are all interesting and so well done.
This is what it comes down to. Their franchises thrive, they are indeed at the top of their game. This is going to be an incredible project.

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
1. Brian Henson has his own gig now--full of humping dog puppets and bathroom humor. That's what he wants to do with his legacy and he ought to be left to it. If he were the one who was going to bring the Muppets back in all their glory, he'd have done it by now. I think we should wish him well and MOVE ON.
The voice of reason speaks. Good for you, this comment couldnt be more accurate imo. I doubt wed be seeing this kind of muppet project from the Henson company if they were still in charge.

Folks--this is good news. I know you're nervous--I'm scared to death.
This is beyond good news. I dont think theres much to be scared about... sound to me like Disneys willing to invest, its surely a well written script if it came out of nowhere from the talented parties involved.... Cant wait.

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
Heh you get the idea of what I don't want to see Disney do.
What Disney can do is create, invest in and maintain high profile franchises. If they could generate even half the popularity for the new Muppet feature that HSM, Hanna Montana or Pirates has, then were all going to be pretty happy in a few years.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Mind if I take a moment to comment?

Now, I haven't read the whole thread because, frankly, the whining really isn't doing anything for my constitution...but I have done some research on the Writer and Director of this potential next movie...and what I see is far far from High School Muppets, Janice and Stitch or any other sucky "I hate Muppets and can't even respect Disney" title you anti-Disney people can come up with.

Jason Segel has acted in many movies, including Knocked Up, and wrote Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Everything that I have seen of him is anathama to the "Oooh, I am a fluffy Disney thing" feel. His movies are always ground-based, and realistic -- joining the ranks of 40 Year Old Virgin, Juno, and Super Bad.

He seems to act in movies that involve him being a down-to-earth realistic guy (His character of Sam in Alias was one of the first "Real-life-ish" people I'd seen on the show, and his appearence blew me away as one of the most memorable guests even though he was only there for one episode.)

The director wrote Fun With Dick and Jane, as well as an episode of Strangers With Candy, along with writing part of the soundtrack for Blades of Glory. (Segel also performed in soundtracks)

From what I have seen, we will get a movie that has a strong "Buddy-friendship" element...Fozzie and Kermit? Gonzo and Fozzie?...a HUGELY realistic take on the Muppts and Muppetdom. Pop-culture references that FIT (like the "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" poster in Knocked Up, rather than the "Girls Gone Wild" Mwoo reference.) We should expect original songs, even if they are more like Going to Go Back There, or Everyone Matters...rather than Cabin Fever. (There are great, sentemental, realistic songs in Knocked Up and Juno.)

So the last thing we need to worry about is Disney Disneyfying the thing, if anything be more concerned that there will be more nipple references and SEX jokes.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Mind if I take a moment to comment?

Now, I haven't read the whole thread because, frankly, the whining really isn't doing anything for my constitution...but I have done some research on the Writer and Director of this potential next movie...and what I see is far far from High School Muppets, Janice and Stitch or any other sucky "I hate Muppets and can't even respect Disney" title you anti-Disney people can come up with.

Jason Segel has acted in many movies, including Knocked Up, and wrote Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Everything that I have seen of him is anathama to the "Oooh, I am a fluffy Disney thing" feel. His movies are always ground-based, and realistic -- joining the ranks of 40 Year Old Virgin, Juno, and Super Bad.

He seems to act in movies that involve him being a down-to-earth realistic guy (His character of Sam in Alias was one of the first "Real-life-ish" people I'd seen on the show, and his appearence blew me away as one of the most memorable guests even though he was only there for one episode.)

The director wrote Fun With Dick and Jane, as well as an episode of Strangers With Candy, along with writing part of the soundtrack for Blades of Glory. (Segel also performed in soundtracks)

From what I have seen, we will get a movie that has a strong "Buddy-friendship" element...Fozzie and Kermit? Gonzo and Fozzie?...a HUGELY realistic take on the Muppts and Muppetdom. Pop-culture references that FIT (like the "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" poster in Knocked Up, rather than the "Girls Gone Wild" Mwoo reference.) We should expect original songs, even if they are more like Going to Go Back There, or Everyone Matters...rather than Cabin Fever. (There are great, sentemental, realistic songs in Knocked Up and Juno.)

So the last thing we need to worry about is Disney Disneyfying the thing, if anything be more concerned that there will be more nipple references and SEX jokes.
Your so right in what your saying beau! Has anyone seen the move Heavyweights? This was remeased by Disney and was wrote and dericted by Steve Brill. Steve is one of Adam Sandlers friends and has helped write and derect some of his movies. When he did Heavywhights they had to edit the movie becuse there was a lot of bad language. It was going to be a touchstone movie,and be rated PG-13, but Disney did some last second editing and made it PG.
I said all that to say this, and i think it has been said before. The writeter and Director have both done some great rated R and PG13 movies, and i think that the next Muppet movie should at least be rated PG13. Why not to make the Muppets like Crank Yankers, but to give them a feel that they are not just for kids. I think the two that are working on the film can do that and still stay true to who the Muppets really are.

Status
Not open for further replies.