Fraggle Rock Animated

lowercasegods

Reaction score
So Fraggle Rock the animated series is going to be on dvd? Has someone seen the show, i have just seen the start on youtube, is it good? Does it start at the end of were the the Fraggles left off. Is it a U.S. show or was it just in Australia?
I honestly thought it was of a much lower quality than the original Fraggle Rock, and not even as well thought out or animated as Muppet Babies. For the most part they used the same songs from the original TV series and wrote new stories around them using an all new cast that sounded nothing like Jerry, Dave, Steve and the rest of the gang. It just seemed like such a waste of effort when the original was far better anyway.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
I actually really enjoyed the animated series when it was on the air! I've gone back and watched the episodes again recently, and I still think they're great. Much better than some of the "material" that passes for children's cartoons these days.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I actually really enjoyed the animated series when it was on the air! I've gone back and watched the episodes again recently, and I still think they're great. Much better than some of the "material" that passes for children's cartoons these days.
Yeah, but for the time period it aired in, it was bested by various other cartoons. At least the original series was the best, surefire thing of 1983. ^_^

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Oh definitely, the real thing was better than the cartoon.

I should also mention that I enjoyed Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling.
Indeed. Instead of the ego maniac he is now, Hogan in the 80's was actually worth cheering for. Now, the only real people--sans very few of the new faces (and I stress "very few", like Mr. Kennedy [Ken-ne-dy] & M.V.P)--worth rooting for are the Brothers of Destruction, The Undertaker & Kane.

But just as the "E" now lacks the ingenius spark of The Attitude Era (due to lack of competition, what with TNA buring itself ala WCW of old), the animated version of Fraggle Rock was nothing without the puppeteered original to prop it up. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly thought it was of a much lower quality than the original Fraggle Rock, and not even as well thought out or animated as Muppet Babies. For the most part they used the same songs from the original TV series and wrote new stories around them using an all new cast that sounded nothing like Jerry, Dave, Steve and the rest of the gang. It just seemed like such a waste of effort when the original was far better anyway.
Well, the cartoon was good for what it was... and frankly, the animation was better than Muppet Babies (first season animated into aside) ever was. That last season where everything was brightly colored to the point where it was blinding especially.

But I always wondered... why not just take 13 episodes of the TV show, edit them down to fit the time slot, and just rerun them for Saturday mornings instead?

But once again, this was all us poor kids got, since FR was on cable, and a premium station at that. Took me until I was 20 something to see full episodes.

Anyway-
I should also mention that I enjoyed Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling.
You know, I tried to watch that, but I couldn't. I mean, had they actually wrestled, it would have been a much better show. Oddly enough, I'm a bigger fan of animated wrestling than the real stuff... Ultimate Muscle, Mucha Lucha, and even Celebrity Death Match. But I felt something was missing. It was a wasted oppertunity, due to censorship guidelines anyway. Seemed like a routine cartoon with just a few famous names attatched to it. Kinda depressing actually. But I did love 2 things about it. Cap'n Lou Albano didn't do his own voice, yet a couple years later, Dic cast Lou as Mario (the best Mario there's ever been, IMO). And I love how Brad Garret did the voice of the Hulkster. Shame that he's tied up with that unfunny new show, since Brad was a great VA.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But once again, this was all us poor kids got, since FR was on cable, and a premium station at that. Took me until I was 20 something to see full episodes.
I got lucky, I guess, 'cause even though I personally didn't have cable, I had nearby family or friends that did & I saw a majority of the episodes when they intially aired. It was just misfortune that ended up taking me from the fandom until I rediscovered my Muppet adoration and thereby joined this site.

Count von Count

Reaction score
Much better than some of the "material" that passes for children's cartoons these days. -------stephen
That's true!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Much better than some of the "material" that passes for children's cartoons these days. -------stephen
That's true!
Agreed. Regardless of the version, Jim Henson, Jerry Juhl, and the rest of the writers and cast knew what they were doing when they made the show.

*hopes to show the original puppeteered episode Fraggle Wars, to show how pointless fighting amongest members of the same species is, whether in the same nation or in other nations (i.e. Iraq)*

Opening Theme

Fraggle Wars Part 1
Fraggle Wars Part 2
Fraggle Wars Part 3

Closing Theme

Now, if a show geared primarily for children--yet beloved worldwide by both children and adults--can show "mature" adults how to respect the balance of life, then surely, people--of all ages, genders, lifestyles, creeds, or what have you--can learn from it! ^_^

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's true!

That depends. There is some great stuff out there. You just have to look very, very hard. TMNT (before that FF relaunch the toy company rushed them into- another story for another day) and Spectacular Spider-Man are among the best new things I've seen in recent years. And Tom and Jerry Tales (with an episode even written by Joe Barbera shortly before his death) is amazingly close to the original (if you compare it with the other TV versions, which frankly were terrible. Even the Hanna Barbera version)

But the show stuck as close as possible to the original puppet version as closely as possible. The character personalities were all in tact, and most of the the voice actors were good (Junior Gorg being the furthest from anything even remotely the same).

*hopes to show the original puppeteered episode Fraggle Wars, to show how pointless fighting amongest members of the same species is, whether in the same nation or in other nations (i.e. Iraq)*
Something we could drive into everyone's heads a million times, and our higher ups will still tell us it's in everyone's best interrests to shove violence upon others. Even going as far as warping religious texts. Yes, we need Fraggles again in this day and age, but only for those who are able to listen.