Saturday Morning memories thread

Oscarfan

Reaction score
i remember watching several saturday morning blocks, such as Kids WB and Disney's One Saturday Morning (which is pretty much ruined now).

Xerus

Reaction score
Other than TMNT and the Spectacular Spider-Man (which is dang good, lemme tell you) and Tom and Jerry tales, there's nothing worth watching period. Of course, you could tell the end was near with Kid's WB when they had crap like "Skunk Fu" on the line up. Seriously... Dreamwork's Kung Fu Panda is bad enough (I had the desire to see it, but lost it months ago). Stop milking the kung fu parody genre till the parodies outnumber the originals. You did that with Superheroes, and they haven't been great since The tick and Freakazoid left the air.

I think you could tell Warners wanted out of cartoons all together. Loonatics Unleashed? That was a cry for help, if ever I heard one. Though they did have sort of a good idea in season 2. Super Hero versions of the Looney Tunes fighting supervillain versions of the bad guys. But the damage had been done, and any potential for a funny Looney Tunes superhero show were shot to heck. And for some stupid reason, Duck Dodgers, a fabulous cartoon, was tossed aside, like it never existed.

Coconut Fred was their lowest stunt ever, though. Nothing but a total knockoff of Spongebob. That was a nightmare.
People are also worried with 4Kids running two SM networks, that they might flood Saturday Morning with lots of anime. I guess we'll have to wait and find out this Fall.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I can sum up my Saturday mornings (As a child of the 70's) in a few short titles.
Anything by The Brothers Krofft (especially Land of the Lost)
WWF Superstars And then when 12 noon rolled around, "Creature Double Feature".
Once we got to the 80's, I watched wrestling mainly because when cable came in, I could watch other wrestling shows besides WWF.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I could watch other wrestling shows besides WWF.
Namely, WCW...before all the creative control (The nWo [including Hogan and Bischoff] & Goldberg), along with shoddy storylines (Fingerpoke of Doom, anyone?), bad booking (the nWo and Goldberg always won), & Turner's new management (said management hated wrestling) ended up killing WCW, which made it lose to The Attitude Era (WWF), thanks to the likes of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, "The Phenom" The Undertaker , "Mrs. Foley's Baby Boy" Mick Foley (alias the deranged Mankind, the happening Dude Love, & the demented Cactus Jack), & future (and now current) member of the McMahon family, "Triple H" Hunter Hearst Helmsley, all of whom WCW management said wouldn't amount to anything!

But before the bubble burst and the interwoven backstage BS made itself clearly evident with the explosion of the Internet and Web 2.0, wrestling was an enjoyable comodity as a kid. ^_^

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Actually wwfpooh, I am referring to when the WCW was still the NWA and the AWA was based in Minnesota, the ICW came out of Maine, UWF in Oklahoma where Jim Ross started and so on. Pro wrestling was very different in the 70's and 80's.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I guess I always just took cable for granted.:smirk:
Well, I'm seven years older then you are, but I rememebr that cable use to be more special then it is now a days. Didn't really think about it until years later when everything special about it was gone.

By the way, here's another blast from Saturday Morning Past. You remember Schoolhouse Rock and Time For Timer? Well, there was another series of educational shorts that aired on a show called Kids Are People Too and also appeared during the commercials. A musical advice series called, Dear Alex and Annie. Check it out. :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm_xK3kioyE
I love School house rock! Thanks' for sharing, but the last question on Alex and Anny was kind of disturbing to me.:eek:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Actually wwfpooh, I am referring to when the WCW was still the NWA and the AWA was based in Minnesota, the ICW came out of Maine, UWF in Oklahoma where Jim Ross started and so on. Pro wrestling was very different in the 70's and 80's.
Yep, with Andre & Hogan as the respective premiere stars of the times and Wrestlemania 3 being a passing of the torch. :big_grin:
Didn't really think about it until years later when everything special about it was gone.
As that saying goes, you don't really miss something until it's gone, and all that. :smile:

*does a "Stone Cold" salute for the classic days of old*