1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Saturday Morning memories thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xerus, May 7, 2008.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

That would be so awesome if that were to happen! Maybe Disney could get on the ball with that! Do you think they have enouhg for a whole network?
  2. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

*shrugs* The question is...could The Muppets and the cast of Fraggle Rock stand the test of time in regards to modern society? If they can last and be enjoyed by the next generation, then such a channel could be fesible, although another problem would arise in what could and couldn't be aired on the channel. Possibly, if PBS actually did go under, then Sesame Workshop could re-team with the Jim Henson Company and air both classic and new-school Sesame Street on that network. Then again, that's speculation...
  3. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I remember when The Odyssey Channel, now the Hallmark Channel, used to show classic Muppet Shows and Fraggle Rocks. And they had something called the Saturday Morning 360. Where they'd show 360 minutes of classic kids shows like the Archies, Zoobilee Zoo, and classic Jim Henson shows like The Animated Fraggle Rock and the Animal Show. But then it was canceled fast. But yes, a Jim Henson network might be great to see.
  4. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

5. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

And the only one to return was the last one and it returned on [adult swim] because of Rueben's arrest, because the show was trippy (which seems to be the theme of [adult swim]), and because the show was originally geared towards adults before being altered for children.
  6. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

My Saturdays were great - I'd get up at 6 am with a bowl of Cheerios or Kix (my mom never let me have the sugary stuff :/) and watch Looney Tunes. After that it was Muppet Babies, Pee Wee's Playhouse, etc. and around 11 am or noon I'd go over to a friend's house and watch Saved By The Bell ;D

It makes me sad that kids these days are stuck with imports from other countries (don't get me wrong, I do love anime, but it shouldn't take over Saturday cartoon lineups!) or reruns from another channel (Discovery Kids, anyone?), or corny live-action tween shows. NOTHING is made exclusively for Saturdays anymore.
  7. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Saturday Mornings are dead, IMO.
  8. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I say yes they can!:)
  9. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

But would they also give in to PC pressures like so many brought back franchises have?
  10. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

You saw what CBS Saturday Mornings were like in the past. Now here's what NBC had to offer. I really loved The Bay City Rollers Show, Yogi's Space Race, Smurfs, Alf Tales, and Captain N. Back in those days, NBC was proud as a peacock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc3tKBDdFLI
  11. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

And now, it has lost its color and its feathers are being plucked.
  12. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

You know, other than Dinoking and YuGiOh GX reruns, there actually aren't any Japanese imports on basic, non-cable TV. In fact, other than a few impossible to find anime channels, the only place that even airs it is CN. Problem was, about half the series we got, frankly were terribly similar. And the most anime has really been on non cable Tv was when Fox Kids was still around. And their choices were TERRIBLE. An overedited Escaflowne that everyone apparently hates, and a bunch of shows that were popular only because of Pokemon (Digimon, Moncolly Knights). And of course, 4Kids initial line up. Even back when we had syndication, we had Samurai pizza Cats (sue me. I love that mad cap American Dub) and Dragon ball.

I did enjoy things like Kirby, Sonic X (cuz it's frankly one of the better Sonic shows- though Dic's SatAM was the best), Shaman King and ESPECIALLY Ultimate Muscle (If anyone ever finds M.U.S.C.L.E.s lying around their house and wants to get rid of them, send 'em my way!) And I did like, dubious dub and all, One Piece (though the book was much better anyway). But most of it was videogame ads or some sort of toyetic franchise. And nothing from the old school 80's era... well... I'm wrong. Cartoon Network tried, and failed, with the Saint Seyia anime. But that sort of thing is unsuccessful.

All we're really getting is reruns and things from third hand studios (we're actually quite overrun by Canadian imports... not a bad thing if we just got more good things from them). But I REALLY am missing WB's programming already, and this was they year they decided to throw in the towel.

None of the major studios wants to make a TV series that isn;'t for cable. Even Dreamworks is going direct to Nick.

Sad thing is, 4Kids is pretty much the only studio available to have the greedy sell outs at the CW sell their line up to.

Personally, NBC had been dead to me since 1992, when they decided to run nothing but hack Saved by the Bell ripoffs. SBTB is okay, the star of the show is CLEARLY Screetch and maybe the principle if you wanna get technical, but all the others were just awful.

But as for CBS... well, they're at least being provocative, and running original programming. Sure, it's from current era DIC (the studio's glory years were the 80's. I said it) and most of them are just terrible (Ever watch Dino Squad? YUCKKA!), and to fit the stupid TV E/I requirement, everything has to be preachy, and not in a fun Fat Albert way. But it's SOMETHING.
  13. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

And the "something" sucks horribly.
  14. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

No way!
  15. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Sesame Street did. :(
  16. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I think there doing okay considering.
  17. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Not me. Elmo needs to step back every so often and let his other co-stars that predated his very existance shine sometimes.
  18. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

It's complicated...
  19. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Yeeaah...Letting your co-stars shine every often is veerry complicated...:rolleyes:
  20. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I guess I see you're point. I don't want to get into it. You have to consider he performers that are available and when they and and how often they and a lot of factors. You can't always go back to the way things once were.