Gobo's "eh"...

Reaction score
There are a number of words Gobo says with a distinctly Canadian accent. Like when he starts talking about the "moon." As a Sheboygan native, when I was a kid, I just thought he sounded like my neighbors. It wasn't until watching the series again as an adult that I realized "Oh, Ontario!"

Redsonga

Reaction score
Shouldn't poking remain in the "Pokefest" thread, Red?
Sorry, it's just I don't know much about Canada, besides forest, and hockey..of course, fraggles love their own version of hockey :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Sorry, it's just I don't know much about Canada, besides forest, and hockey..of course, fraggles love their own version of hockey :smile:
That, and Gobo is supposedly from a portion of the Rock in, near, or by Canada, as well. :smirk:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The way I think of it, it would replace 'huh', 'right' or 'you know' at the end of a question or comment, and everyone knows you don't do that with everything you say, eh? :coy:
When over done I think 'don't you know' is just as annoying :excited:. Bobby's mom in a certain show use to drive me crazy with that, don't you know. But I forget where she was a stereotype from :stick_out_tongue:
I beleive that's a Minnesota stereotype. I'm not 100% sure about that, but pretty much a Great lakes region accent stereotype.

wemblingalong

Reaction score
I remember the only way I could see Fraggle Rock is through the Canadian station. My family didn't have HBO and we lived not in but near Canada, so we saw it that way. So its always seemed Canadian to me! :smile:

Speaking of HBO. During college I was wearing a Fraggle Rock shirt and my professor came up to me and quietly said, "When I was like 12 I used to watch Fraggle Rock scrambled, because we didn't have HBO, it got us so mad! Cool shirt!" (No he didn't have the Canadian station) That professor rocked!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Yup up here it was on the CBC which is a national network.

As for Bobby's world, Howie Mandel IS Canadian but Bobby's mum's accent definately is NOT Canadian.

*pokes Redsonga* Ask me whatever you want about Canada and I'll answer as best as I can!

Drtooth, nice point about how Gobo is subtle, the opposite of Bob and Doug. However I have to point out that Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis are Canadian, and that SCTV was a Canadian show. They're lampooning themselves, whereas Gobo is more of a tribute to Fraggle Rock's spiritual home. Though I will say that I do have relatives who sound like Bob and Doug a little bit (or a lot depending on how much they've had to drink, lol).

Redsonga

Reaction score
I would just want to know little things, like what you might call you're mom and dad if you are from Canada, if you call the last meal of the day, dinner or supper..little wording things like that that don't really matter but I'm interested in :smile:...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I would just want to know little things, like what you might call you're mom and dad if you are from Canada, if you call the last meal of the day, dinner or supper..little wording things like that that don't really matter but I'm interested in :smile:...
That does sound intriguing.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Most people say mom (or if you're me, mum) or dad. I tend to say supper but sometimes it's dinner! :wink: Canadians tend to switch between Canadian and British phrases because of the exposure to both.

There's a really great website, called An American's Guide To Canada, which I always reccomend to my american friends. It's written by an american who now lives in Canada. It's written with humour but TONS of great info. The media section is kind of out of date, but the rest is good! Check it out and feel free to ask me about anything that you see or DON'T see on that site!

I like to tell people about my country. >< Americans tend to take it for granted that the rest of the world knows everything about them, so I make it a duty to return the favour.