Too old for Sesame Street

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I know they unfortunately had to play to the well to do, raise my kids through other's methods, Yuppie set in recent years. I mean, no wonder why SS doesn't have the dark and dusty gritty city street feel anymore. There Neighborhood has been gentrified (that's the word, right?). Look at a normal city street... Starbucks and snotty restauraunts, and yuppies all over the place. Poor people live in (ironically) the suburbs, or smaller places outside of the busy street apartments.

The only difference between real people who live in the city and Sesame Street is that when they clean that street up, the SS residents were able to afford to live there.
:rolleyes:
Well you know when it used to look like a real inner city, they were able to talk about littering and not to do it. Now it doesn't make as much sense to do so.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I know they unfortunately had to play to the well to do, raise my kids through other's methods, Yuppie set in recent years. I mean, no wonder why SS doesn't have the dark and dusty gritty city street feel anymore. There Neighborhood has been gentrified (that's the word, right?). Look at a normal city street... Starbucks and snotty restauraunts, and yuppies all over the place. Poor people live in (ironically) the suburbs, or smaller places outside of the busy street apartments.

The only difference between real people who live in the city and Sesame Street is that when they clean that street up, the SS residents were able to afford to live there.
:rolleyes:
What exactly is a yuppie? :confused:

Anyway, anytime I go to the city many parts of it still looks a lot like SS use to look on many of the normal non-shop filled streets...times really haven't changed that much:sympathy:...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What exactly is a yuppie? :confused:

Anyway, anytime I go to the city many parts of them still look a lot like SS use to look on many of the normal non-shop filled streets...times really haven't changed that much:sympathy:...
Well that's true too, New York City hasn't changed much. But the show is trying to focus on the more well to do areas of the country.

A yuppie was like a wealthy young business person in the '80s who was materialistic and concerned with success.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well that's true too, New York City hasn't changed much. But the show is trying to focus on the more well to do areas of the country.

A yuppie was like a wealthy young business person in the '80s who was materialistic and concerned with success.
Man... If anyone here lives in Massachusettes near the Boston area, a prime example is Central Square in Cambridge. it's the perfect place to see a lot of himeless beggers sitting outside well to do faux city kids and stores they line. You know... the kind of stores that sell 200 dollar plus Converse? And a lot of organic grocery stores and stuff like that. people who think they care and pretend to care, but live incredably well and never even give the beggers a look in the eye? I at least give them the courtesy to say "I don't have anything, sorry."

I know it sounds foolish, but that makes me sick. Seems like SS is moving that way too.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Heh, as an older kid I did imagine Muppetized letters and numbers negotiating with CTW for "ad space" on the show...:zany:

Back to the original topic, though: yes, today's Sesame Street may alienate old-school fans simply because the kids who watch it are growing up differently. Family dinners were not lesson material back then, because real kids typically ate family dinners: home-cooked, seated together in the kitchen, and so forth. Adult characters never scheduled "play dates" for younger ones, because real kids typically asked to play with neighbors or kindergarten friends. (I'm sure you can all think of two or three other social changes that make you feel too old for Sesame Street, at least when the show brings them up nowadays!)

Thankfully, some aspects of life are still the same for kids and adults; when Sesame Street covers those timeless situations, it usually does a good enough job to remind me that I'm not too old to watch. :wisdom:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I still don't understand play dates..even though I was shy and never asked to play with anyone no one forced me to ether :stick_out_tongue:.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I actually had never ever heard f a play date before and I'm still not sure I know what that is. That name just sucks the fun out of ever wanting to play. :stick_out_tongue:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I'm still trying to come to grips with the idea of a "play date", where parents actually schedule appointments to play with their children. "Okay Caitlin, I can pencil you in to take you to the playground on Thursday between 5:00 and 5:30". Life seems to be too structured for kids now. Both parents and kids lives filled up so much with activity and being busy, with no signs of slowing down.

George Carlin once said in one of his comic routines, what kids could greatly benefit from (and many adults too), is set aside two hours a day for daydreaming. Turn off the tv (even Sesame Street) turn off the computer, turn off the iPod/MP3/Walkman, turn off the cell phone, and just stare out the window at let your imagination take over.

Sounds like a novel idea. Anyone care to join me?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
That what I don't like about it. It just feel so structured and it's sounds ridicules that you need an appointment to have play with somebody else. "I'm too busy that, can you schedule me for an appointment at five tomorrow?" LOL!