The Chipmunks

Xerus

Reaction score
That's like how Looney Tunes Back in Action used puppets of Bugs and Daffy, with Bruce Lanoil puppeteering them, so the actors could see what it would be like to work with the Looney Tunes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
From what I understand (just rumormill stuff here, mind you), that like the squeakquel, this is going to feature very little Dave, and very lot of loser nephew Toby (and a girlfriend of his apparently).
UGH! Yeah, I'm staying FAAAAR FAAAAR FAAAAAAAAAAAAR away with this one. Toby successfully made the second film incredibly terrible. Now I'm SURE that casting Jason Lee as Dave was a bad idea, since it seems like he doesn't want to be in these movies. Of course, it's probably since Fox wants A) someone even younger and B) wanted to shove another TERRIBLE love story (we had one with the Chipmunks and the Chipettes ANYWAY! What's the deal with that?) into the kid's movie, since ALL kid's movies have to have Marty Sue and Mary Sue love stories, artificially added for no apparent reason. There are ENOUGh bad romantic comedies out there already, no sense in shoving them into kid's movies.

Not only did I feel no sympathy for Toby (who spent most of the movie whining about how pathetic he is), I wish HE was the one in the wheelchair getting pushed down the flight of stairs.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Now I'm SURE that casting Jason Lee as Dave was a bad idea, since it seems like he doesn't want to be in these movies.
He doesn't, that's the thing... honestly, nobody wants to be in these movies (that why the character of Claire was never brought back because Cameron Richardson refused to reprise the role); the only reason Jason Lee accepted the role of Dave was because among those who were offered the role (and turned it down) was his idol, Bill Murray.

And Lee simply is NOT Dave... he just isn't... Dave, whether it was Ross Sr or Jr, was always a loving father-figure, despite constant and continual exasperation... Lee performance as a father-figure seems more forced and reluctant, like he doesn't even want to be caretaker to The Chipmunks, but does so anyway.

Drtooth

Reaction score
He doesn't, that's the thing... honestly, nobody wants to be in these movies (that why the character of Claire was never brought back because Cameron Richardson refused to reprise the role); the only reason Jason Lee accepted the role of Dave was because among those who were offered the role (and turned it down) was his idol, Bill Murray.

And Lee simply is NOT Dave... he just isn't... Dave, whether it was Ross Sr or Jr, was always a loving father-figure, despite constant and continual exasperation... Lee performance as a father-figure seems more forced and reluctant, like he doesn't even want to be caretaker to The Chipmunks, but does so anyway.
You can tell that in his performance. But then again, why not just... I dunno.. recast him? I still think Bob Sagat was BORN to play that part, likewise, he would have made a BETTER Ranger Smith...Don't tell me I'm the only one That sees it... but I guess he was too busy with his revamping his career phase at that point.

Though I think a little of the reluctant parenting is based on the "edgy" writing.

Seriously, David Cross saved BOTH movies.

Yorick

Reaction score
Seriously, David Cross saved BOTH movies.
You may be a fan and/or like the parts he played in the films, but can you really say he saved the films?
(If you can, that's cool:smile:-I'm not saying it's not possible) Myself, I've known films where a fave actor of mine was in it, and they were great, but that still didn't save the film :concern:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It seems like David Cross has been the only one, so far, whose put any effort into the role he's been given in the movies. In addition to Jason Lee just not being Dave, Toby was so wimpy and so pathetic, it was like watching paint dry.

I think even Justin Long once said he'd mind being in the movies a little less if Ross and Janice weren't so, "Crazy, scary obsessed" with their creations.

You kind of have to draw the line somewhere, but from what I've read, those two actually DO think of the characters like their own children (again, Janice was in tears when she talked about Simon being the neglected middle child in the 80s), and I think that was actually the subject of yet ANOTHER lawsuit here a while back: were Alvin and The Chipmunks a REAL music group? I mean holy cow, one of upcoming puppets is an aspiring singer/songwriter, that'd be like if I were to have a legal battle over her being a REAL solo artist.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There are examples of movies where one actor basically carries the weight of the whole picture while all the other actors phone it in for a check. Chipmunks was such a film. As stated, Jason Lee didn't care much for it, so much they had to come up with a lame Marty Sue character to fill the void left in the second one. If Ross and Janice are so lawsuit happy, I don't see why they couldn't sue the studio until they found another actor or something.

You can always tell when an actor is having fun and when it's a paycheck. Jason Lee's performance was angry, wooden, an completely listless. And that's a shame, because his roles in My Name is Earl and the Incredibles you can tell he was having such a blast. I deride the fact they canned MNIE for that lame Parks and Rec series. Though, I will say this... he felt working with CGI pasted chipmunks was beneath him, YET he had no problem with Tom Greene. I call that trading up. :smile:

Now, David Cross... not only did he have a character that was more fun to play, he had a LOT of fun playing it. The subplot about getting caught up by the machine of fame and it's dark underbelly was superior than the father son moments for two reasons... firstly, it seemed more genuine and less of a flat cliche done poorly, secondly Jason didn't exactly sell loving father while David was just wonderful as the seemingly innocuous oily producer with a fake smile. By far a good performance can shine in ANY kind of movie, even with a bad script.

But I just want to touch on this for a second.

the only reason Jason Lee accepted the role of Dave was because among those who were offered the role (and turned it down) was his idol, Bill Murray.
I LOVE Bill Murray and all, but really... he doesn't mind putting his name on terrible movies, but he's insanely stubborn when it comes to helping Ghostbusters 3 go anywhere! He's rationalizing his decision to take the lead voice of Garfield by saying he THOUGHT the Cohen brothers wrote it. Bull! Other than the fact that it is a common last name in Hollywood for writers, I think that either A) he was still subconsciously annoyed by the fact that his character was given Garfield's voice in the Ghostbusters animated series or B) it's a easy money recording gig where he doesn't really have to do anything but speak into a mike.

Yeah, that's all well and good, but how do you explain City of Ember?

Seriously, they should have JUST made the animated Ghostbusters movie instead... we'd've actually GOT the thing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If Ross and Janice are so lawsuit happy, I don't see why they couldn't sue the studio until they found another actor or something.
Yeah, they've had stranger lawsuits before... like copyrighting the letter 'A'... ugh.
You can always tell when an actor is having fun and when it's a paycheck.
True, that's one of the first things I noticed when Chris Knowings came on SST, you can tell he's having a great time being on the show, and reading his bio in the 40th anniversary book proves that point.
I LOVE Bill Murray
Well who doesn't? He's one of the greats!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, they've had stranger lawsuits before... like copyrighting the letter 'A'... ugh.
Still... they could've sued the studio until they got someone better... or sued a GOOD performance out of Jason.

I'd sue whoever wrote for and starred as Toby for turning a potentially enjoyable second movie into a pile of "just a raisins" with his very presence.

Seriously! What...the heck... was the point... of another love story in the movie... If you have a very obvious one between 3 pairs of chipmunks anyway? I swear... adding Toby ruined the potential for putting Miss Miller into the films.

Yorick

Reaction score
adding Toby ruined the potential for putting Miss Miller into the films.
I just saw the "Toby" Chipmunks film, and I was ready to dislike the character from what I heard here, but I thought he was pretty good, actually. But I'm the person who likes Scooby Doo better with Scrappy than without, so I know my opinion won't reflect that of most folks!
I won't count on this idea of mine coming true, but maybe they can have the girls move in with Miss Miller in the next film, since they just didn't have time for her to show up in the last one.
copyrighting the letter 'A'... ugh.
How did that turn out?
I deride the fact they canned [My Name Is Earl] for that lame Parks and Rec series.
Agreed!