1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The Chipmunks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yorick, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Oh yeah... I love those RS episodes, especially some of the early ones where Simon looked like the version from the Christmas Special. I mean, they hung out with Mr. T and Dolly Pardon for one thing. Plus, let's face it, back under RS, they had more voice actors... Peter Cullen and Tress MacNeil among others... very familiar 1980's VA's were in those old ones. And the animation was better too. DIC's best stuff was the movie parodies, Back to Alvin's Future especially... but I virtually never watch Cadet's Regrets (DIC or MWS, I forget, only saw it once) on the ALVVIIIIIIN collection.

Actually, no... Fred Wolf Films (MWS) was founded back in 1967, and was based in Dublin Ireland. They made the film "The Point" and Puff the Magic Dragon. They're the ones behind the 1980's TMNT series as well as Toxic Crusaders, the American Speed Racer cartoon, James Bond Jr., and a couple others. They only did 11 episodes, and it was more of a partnership... sort of a transitional animation studio between RS and DIC. In fact, I think RS disappeared until the 1990's Mega Man cartoon... then they never popped up again.
  2. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what I said earlier, they also had the likes of June Foray, Alan Young, Johnny Haymer... the MWS and DiC episodes had Ross and Janice's associate producer practically doing all of the voices, and he did not do very good ones. Honestly, neither did Ross for that matter, I know just about every episode, he voiced at least one of the one-shot characters, but he never even tried to do some kind of a voice, maybe an accent or a twang, but never a voice, which makes so many of the one-shot guest characters sound just like Dave. I swear, they MUST have lost tons of dough on The Chipmunk Adventure, that's why the show seemed cheapened afterwards.

And agreed again, the overall animation and production design of the RS episodes were really high quality and detailed, it took them a while to get the character designs quite right, but then again, a lot of animation studios were like that, like compare early Rocky and Bullwinkle from 1959 to later Rocky and Bullwinkle of 1964. DiC, again, the animation was cheap and somewhat "looser" than RS, not to mention the backgrounds and designs were considerably simplistic, like plain solid walls, or smooth floors as opposed to detailed wallpaper and textured grain on the wood floors.
    I actually watched that one day after having not watched it in a long time, it was a MWS episode, but that's actually where I got my facts mixed up, because during the end titles, there's a tagline at one point that says like "In Association With Ruby-Spears Enterprises", so I thought perhaps they did branch out from them. I DO know that RS WAS an off-shoot of HB, as Joe Ruby and Ken Spears, and a number of their staff worked for HB backin the 60s and 70s; I read recently that both Ruby and Spears were actually the real creative maestros behind some of HB's hits, like Scooby-Doo. I think they attended a ComicCon here recently, attending with Sid & Marty Krofft.
  3. Drtooth Well-Known Member

RS is not only an off shoot of HB, but apparently, their animated products (with the exception of Mega Man, I'm guessing) are now considered HB for some reason.

I swore this WAS a RS production, but it's got an HB label on the cover

So I guess it might be a situation similar to DIC where the license depends on the series and character ownership. The Chipmunks cartoons are owned by the Chipmunks rights holders...
  4. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

It's still interesting that a majority of the DiC episodes that have seen official DVD releases still retain the DiC logo, but none of th RS episodes on DVD do (the MWS episodes in syndication also had RS logos).

But anyway, a good friend of mine managed to download the infamous "Sploosh" episode when it was posted on YouTube recently (and was quickly removed, apparently), and sent it to me; it was good, but again, it was also pretty cheesy, especially the romantic fluff between Simon and Jeanette (or as their characters were named in the episode, Trusty and Montana), BUT, there was a line that had me doing a double-take:

BRITTANY: Are mermen sexier than human men?

Wow, you don't hear a line like THAT on a children's cartoon, Saturday morning or not.
  5. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Sexy was used in a LOT of shows in the 90's. Even recently, the Fairy Idol episode of Fairly Oddparents, Juandissimo sang "I'm too Sexy for my Sexy." I still can never forget the episode of Disney's Doug where his dad tried to talk to Doug about the subject and Doug said, "Sex?"

You can't really do that anymore on Saturday morning because... well, anything that is on is for 6 year olds.

Oh, the innuendo from Ultimate Muscle I can recite...
  6. Drtooth Well-Known Member

7. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with an episode entitled "Mother's Day", I'd have to look that up... but the "Driving Dave Crazy" DVDonly has two episodes that haven't been released before... that "Incredible Shrinking Dave" was a hoot for Alvin turning the tables: "David? David! DAAAAAAAAAVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID!!!"

The Christmas DVD isn't worth the buy, sorry Ross and Janice... not only have all the episodes on that disc already been released, but they're not very good ones either... I agree with Drtooth, come on Bagdasarians, give usthe complete series of The Alvin Show... THEN, give us season sets of the 80s cartoon!
  8. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Look, as much as I'd love the entire 80's show, the music rights would be impossible to get all clear no matter how many suits they try to pull. I'm wondering how hacked up the California Raisins DVD is going to be. I saw an episode of the cartoon series recently, and it had 3 musical numbers in a single episode. ALL old Motown hits.

Plus, I dunno about you, but I want my Clyde Crashcup. I want the 60's series just for that.
    heralde likes this.
  9. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm still not so sure about the music rights junk and all... again, I mean of the handful of 80s episodes that HAVE been released on DVD, I think only like two of them have had to have song replacements... one of which I DON'T understand is replacing "Surfin' USA" with "Surfin' Safari", they're both Beach Boys songs, I don't get it. I can see them having issues with whatever episode it was that had them singing "Puttin' On the Ritz", since I've heard the nasty stories regarding the estate of Irving Berlin.

You know, it's actually hard for me to tell whether or not "The Girls of Rock n Roll" used in the episode "Bigger" was a replacement or not... mainly because the lyrics and the lipsync don't quite match, but then again, it was a DiC episode, and the DiC episodes weren't the best example of animation.
  10. heralde Well-Known Member

Does it seem like the same version of the song that they used in the Chipmunks feature film?
  11. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is the same version.
  12. Drtooth Well-Known Member

UGH! I HATE estates. Humorless people, estates. I've heard John Denver's estate is completely mismanaged, that's why we aren't seeing rereleases of those Muppet specials.

Yet, I'm sure these guys would see dollar signs if someone wanted to use it for a commercial for male enhancement or laxatives or something. But cartoons? Heck no! THAT would be an insult. Seriously, they LOVED it in Young Frankenstein. See what happens if you guys lighten up?

Man, I loved that episode that used Puttin' on the Ritz.
  13. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I don't even remember what episode it was off the top of my head... years ago when a friend of mine uploaded episodes on YouTube, I had the foresight to download them as they were posted in case someone deleted them (back then, WB was the culprit, because the episodes had the CN logo on them, and because apparently WB distributed reruns in syndication)... I have lke three CD-ROMs with downloaded episodes, I should look through them again sometime.
  14. Drtooth Well-Known Member

15. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I just read about that this morning... it looks to be that they're re-releasing the Valentine's DVD, and adding "Sploosh", along with "I Wish I Could Speak French" from Alvin Show to the already existing line-up of bonus episodes.

This is going to make people, especially the Simanette shippers freak... not sure about the music rights, I believe the featured song for that episode was "Pretty Woman"... would that be a prblem? I don't know... I'm willing to bet there's still going to be that poorly dubbed version of "Witch Doctor" replacing "Love Potion No. 9" for "Theodore and Juliet".
  16. Drtooth Well-Known Member

As long as they don't replace it with
    &feature=related

It's fine...
  17. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Heh... that actually doesn't sound too awful different from the general music score of those DiC episodes... but then again, when it comes to music for cartoons, I never really was a tremendous fan of Chase/Rucker Productions, with the exception of those show-stopping numbers from Dexter.
  18. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was the "retroactively replace all the licensed music on Captain N's first season, cannibalized off a sound-a-like so we don't have to deal with that legal crap again" music. Very generic. We lost a great Thriller cover with that one.

I almost wish they used that on SMBSS instead of the instrumental AOSMB3 originals. Some of them were poor choices.
  19. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm starting to like the episode "Dear Diary" less and less the more and more I watch it, mainly because it's kind of an unrealistic and far-fetched... The whole idea of The Chipettes each having their own diaries, but wanting to know what their sisters are writing about them, yadda-yadda-yadda, I think that whole concept reflects childhood fairly well... but then, it just keeps getting more and more outlandish... like their nanny (was Dody Goodman suddenly unavailable to do Miss Miller so they randomly bring in a nanny) actually writing down the name of a boy whose name she mispronounces because of her accent, but it turns out the name she wrote down is actually the name of a four-year-old boy... yeah, okay, but the rest of the episode makes no sense... first Eleanor asks the school secretary for his address... how is the school going to have the records of a kid that's not even old enough to be in grade school? Not only that, but his mother has no questions when Jeanette shows up to "help him with his homework"... again, a kid that's not old enough for grade school, let alone not having any homework he needs help with... then Brittany meets him at the yogurt shop, and he walks there by himself... who let's a four-year-old leave home and walk through town by himself? There is at least ONE quote from that episode that still cracks me up everytime, when Eleanor pays him a visit... "Oh well, he IS cute, and even Cher dates younger men..." so relevant, yet irrelevant at the same time.
  20. Yorick Active Member

LOL! See, if you made your own commentary for some of these things, I would listen to them. As opposed to some of the people online that just pick on the very show or movie they talk about. You prove that people can make funny comments without slamming the show. Bravo!