Scooter Appreciation Thread For The Most Underappraciated, Disrespected Muppet of Ever

Do you hate Scooter?

• Yes, because I'm a terrible person

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • No, because I'm wonderful

Votes: 59 96.7%
  • Maybe, but I have no backbone so I can't make up my mind

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I know some of us have fond memories of Muppet Babies (including me, even though it was a little before my time to be on television) but I can't help but think that show ruined his reputation. Using nothing but the glasses to go on, they changed his character from a slightly dorky/ over enthusiastic 70's child (AKA, BIG Elton John geek) to a computer wielding and thoroughly paranoid child genius. Now the 'nerd' element seems to be seeping into his character in every other production
[/quote]

I don't think MB ruined Scooter's reputation at all, it just added another side to his character. It's also a little early to judge, since Scooter hasn't had a major part in Muppet productions since Richard Hunt's death (I am, of course, excluding the recently released "The Muppets," which I plan on seeing a 3rd time.).

We Got Us

Reaction score
I'm planning on seeing it a third time too! Weird coincidence!

I'm not trashing MB, I just think they needed a nerd character and took Scooter for the part. I don't think this is what Richard Hunt had originally intended, since he was the funny young guy of the group and wanted Scooter modeled after him. I don't mind the Scooter of MB, I just hope they can recapture that funny, dizzy secretary-type Scooter of the first season and not give us some weird hybrid, like in "Letters To Santa". Anyway, he's a great character all around and I'm glad Jason Segel didn't forget about him!

P.S. "You are all naked..."

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't think MB ruined Scooter's reputation at all, it just added another side to his character. It's also a little early to judge, since Scooter hasn't had a major part in Muppet productions since Richard Hunt's death (I am, of course, excluding the recently released "The Muppets," which I plan on seeing a 3rd time.).
I think MB probably did contribute to some of the wimpy jokes, and I say this as a fan of the show, lol.

Snowball

Reaction score
Scooter's has to be the main reason why I'm a bigger fan of the Muppets now than I was during my childhood. Making a long story short, a few years ago, I had watched The Muppets Take Manhattan for the first time. I knew practically each of the Muppets names, despite not having seen a Muppet production in years(The last thing I'd seen from them before that point, besides commercials and whatnot, had been A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie when it had originally aired.) That being said, I had absolutely no idea who Scooter was, so his presence in the movie confused me. I wondered if he was an older Muppet that they just didn't show in any Muppet productions I'd watched before this point(Muppet Babies, Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island, Muppets Tonight, Muppets from Space, and A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie.) Of course, I was surprised to discover he had been in Muppet Babies(with a twin sister, no less,) Muppets from Space, and A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. I figured that Scooter never really made an impact with me before that point, what with being more of a fan of Gonzo, Animal and especially Beaker. Seeing as I wanted to learn more about our favorite gofer, my interest in watching all things regarding the Muppets increased. My love for the Muppets, or more specifically, the Jim Henson Company only grew from there.

Scooter is undeniably my favorite Muppet(although, after seeing the new movie, I have to say, Walter is a very close second.) I never got annoyed with the way he acted when he was first hired, because I knew he'd become someone whom Kermit and the rest of the Muppets could rely on. And not only that, but Richard Hunt, my favorite Muppeteer, based him on a younger version of himself. There's absolutely no way I could ever hate him. I was no doubt pleased by his inclusion in The Muppets and I look forward to the possibility of him perhaps becoming more prominent in future Muppet productions.

We Got Us

Reaction score
I never got annoyed with the way he acted when he was first hired, because I knew he'd become someone whom Kermit and the rest of the Muppets could rely on.
I feel the same way about him in the first season, he doesn't really want much except to be one of the gang, and is even willing to work for the chance: and no one can say he doesn't work hard for it.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
What hate? I see Pepe getting hate from some in the Muppet fandom world. But Scooter? Like Rowlf he's beloved beyond belief.

No idea what you guys are talking about. So amazing his voice is now spot on, and he had such a prominent role in the new movie. He's really the closest personality wise to Walter.
I have to agree with you about the voice. I watched "Letters to Santa" when it was on the CW the other night and noticed a weakness in David's Scooter voice, but in the movie, Dave's Scooter was a heck of a lot closer to Richard's. I got to admit those are big shoes to fill.

I always felt like Scooter really did respect Kermit, even early on, it's just that he felt he had to pump himself up in order to be taken seriously. Which he probably did considering Kermit was ready to send him out the door on their first meeting, lol.
I can actually relate to that. Sometimes I feel so desperate for a job, it makes me wish I had an uncle who owned a place where I could easily find a long-lasting career.

We Got Us

Reaction score
I always felt like Scooter really did respect Kermit, even early on, it's just that he felt he had to pump himself up in order to be taken seriously. Which he probably did considering Kermit was ready to send him out the door on their first meeting, lol.
Honestly, the more I think about it, it's all Kermit's fault. We can forgive him easily. Scooter fans, that's our story and we're stickin' with it! (kidding) :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
A few years ago I got to see the Muppets 1979 appearance on The Tonight Show (at The Museum of TV & Radio, now The Paley Center for Media).

One of the best parts is Leo Sayer's conversation with Kermit and Scooter. Scooter says to Kermit, "Oh, another young person!" (Apparently they felt the need to explain why Scooter was in this particular segment, lol).

Kermit says "Oh yes, Leo, you remember Scooter."

Leo: Oh yeah, I remember all these guys from The Muppet Show! Scooter and I spent the whole time doing Cockey Rhyming slang, didn't we?

Scooter: You better believe it! Cherry hog, that's dog! Bowl of chalk, that's a walk!

Leo explains the concept of Rhyming slang and then does the following exchange with Scooter. The way the conversation goes, it feels to me that it's more Leo and the puppeteer beneath Scooter that are doing the remembering.

Leo: So for instance, I'd say to Scooter, "I love the Irish!"

Scooter: Oh, Irish jig that's...that's a wig! But wait, wait...

Leo: But then he'll say back to me...

Scooter: That's my barnet fair, that's my hair!

Scooter then briefly discusses the strange sandwiches to be found in England, "jelly dales...yuch!" Lol

Leo discusses the different words Americans and the English have for things, like they could rewrite that old song, "You say astro turf, and I say plastic grass!"

Scooter replies, "That's right, that's right!

Kermit asks Leo how he likes living in America and he says he actually only lives in America half the year. Scooter tries to imitate Leo's pronounciation of "half" and says to Kermit, "it doesn't sound right does it?" They end up saying Leo spends "half (American accent) the time here and half (English) there!"

Leo recalls getting blown up on The Muppet Show. Scooter intejects, "Yeah, falling down...sorry about that..." (very cute lol).

Kermit asks Leo what it's like to have millions of girls chasing him. Scooter hungrily replies, "Oh yeah I'd like that!"

They discuss what to do about chasing girls and Scooter comes up with his jem, "I put a bag that a blender came in over my head!" (This got a big laugh from the audience lol)

Kermit: For what?

Scooter: To hide from the girls!

Kermit: What girls?

Scooter: Uh...the ones that don't chase me...

Kermit: Yeah... (Lol)

Leo asks Kermit about his relationship with Piggy, to which Scooter helpfully comments, "Oh Kermit and Piggy are getting married ya know!" Kermit is horrified, but the crowd goes crazy!

Leo: Oh great! It's really takes bravey to announce it on TV like this, Kermit!

Scooter: It sure does!

Kermit: ::whimpers:: (Lol)

We Got Us

Reaction score
Scooter: To hide from the girls!

Kermit: What girls?

Scooter: Uh...the ones that don't chase me...
Looovvee it! Oh Scooter, I'd chase you ;-) Is the interview available on DVD? I'd love to see it/buy it/watch it a million times!