The Muppets 2011 DVD details

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
sadly and in a way regrettably ive joined the side of blu ray only...got a ps3 for Christmas so now im all for the blu ray...however i do understand where you guys are coming from...sucks that DVDS these days dont have special features ... at least the basic deleted scenes and bloopers stuff...id be ok if they left the featurettes for blu ray only

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Blu ray is worthless is you dont have a hi def tv :/ Obviously blu rays are all hi def, but they will look just like a regular dvd on a regular tv. Therefore, you arebetter off saving the 15 bucks and buying the dvd version

EDIT: DrTooth got his much more eloquent post in first XD

Drtooth

Reaction score
Blu ray is worthless is you dont have a hi def tv :/ Obviously blu rays are all hi def, but they will look just like a regular dvd on a regular tv. Therefore, you arebetter off saving the 15 bucks and buying the dvd version

Yeah... that's, what? Another 200 bucks? So basically 300 bucks for the privillage of seeing a couple bonus features. And like I said, Digital Download... 2 years... it's happening. FYE is going down, Best buy's going to dump everything in a 5 dollar pit and put more phones there... it's a useless 3rd step in obsolescence.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------
Er, trying to steer this back into safe waters....

I don't own, and see no point to, expensive and soon-to-be-outdated tech stuff either. I could go along with Disney marketing a "special edition" or "extended edition" on regular dvd format for those who are willing to pony up more than the usual $20 (or $15 on sale at MallWart, whatever). Heck, I'd do that, to get those features. I'd join Disney's fanclub or something. But it is indeed a discrimination smacking of kickbacks to only offer more for blu-rays.

If companies really wanted to stop piracy, they'd stop moves like this.

Now...as to the dvd itself...it's just friggin' nice that we finally HAVE a new one to watch, right guys? :news: Here's hoping it sells well and prompts whomever is wrangling the song rights for TMS seasons 4 and 5 to move a little faster and cash in on the fever! Muppet Fever...yeah!
-------------------

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
True, but this whole put all the bonus features on the blu ray trend is insane. Its a scam to get more money out of you and drive dvds into obsoleteness (why is this not a word?). But Drtooth is right. If you haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, then there is no point because in a few years you will have what amounts to a 200 dollar paperweight. If you don't already have a hi def tv, then theres another 300 bucks out of your pocket for a small, 20 inch tv. I see absolutly no point in buying a new tv because it is the thing to have. We still have ye olde standard def flat screens at our house. They all work perfectly fine. My TV has the best picture in the house, and I would say that it looks a lot better than most lcd tvs that I have seen on display.

So, I mean, thats wonderful if you have all this stuff and can afford the latest trends in technology, but some of us have to scrounge for money to afford to keep living in our house.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't own, and see no point to, expensive and soon-to-be-outdated tech stuff either. I could go along with Disney marketing a "special edition" or "extended edition" on regular dvd format for those who are willing to pony up more than the usual $20 (or $15 on sale at MallWart, whatever). Heck, I'd do that, to get those features. I'd join Disney's fanclub or something. But it is indeed a discrimination smacking of kickbacks to only offer more for blu-rays.

If companies really wanted to stop piracy, they'd stop moves like this.
True, but this whole put all the bonus features on the blu ray trend is insane. Its a scam to get more money out of you and drive dvds into obsoleteness (why is this not a word?). But Drtooth is right. If you haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, then there is no point because in a few years you will have what amounts to a 200 dollar paperweight. If you don't already have a hi def tv, then theres another 300 bucks out of your pocket for a small, 20 inch tv. I see absolutly no point in buying a new tv because it is the thing to have. We still have ye olde standard def flat screens at our house. They all work perfectly fine. My TV has the best picture in the house, and I would say that it looks a lot better than most lcd tvs that I have seen on display.

So, I mean, thats wonderful if you have all this stuff and can afford the latest trends in technology, but some of us have to scrounge for money to afford to keep living in our house.
All I am trying to say. I am not "barking," merely speaking up for those who don't have the money or the use for something. Nor am I belittling those who have and want to buy them. Format choice is format choice.

I am not the only one that thinks so, but let's face it. They're trying to squeeze people into buying higher quality formats, all the while subtly giving the business to those who don't. This isn't JUST this DVD release, this isn't just aimed at Disney... it's a growing complaint that standard DVD releases of movies (and even TV shows) are becoming bare bones with no price break to offset it. I hate that as much as Warner Bros. regressive 5 episodes on a single disk of a TV show for 15 bucks. These things don't sell, they blame piracy... that's why we have SOPA... when just the little added effort for those who can't afford/don't wish to have Blu-Ray for the regular releases could perk up those sales again.

I saw the Lion King DVD re-release because I didn't have the money to get it the last time, and I've been looking to replace the VHS copy. There was one sad little feature on the regular edition. That's not worth paying 20 bucks for, especially when they could easily recycle the last releases features for no money.

Like I said, we are the consumer. We want to buy these DVD's, we want to support Disney's ownership of the Muppets... the more DVD's we buy, the bigger chance of a new movie, either theatrical or DTV/telefilm. If we feel that the standard edition isn't worth the money, Disney loses out, the Muppets lose out, and we're back to appearances every so often. I'm sure Disney or someone at Muppets Studio reads these boards, and I'd tend to think they'd listen to a complaint like that. that's why we need to speak out if something's up.

Oh, and just anecdotal... my parents were going to get me a Blu-Ray player for Christmas... but funny thing... my mother had to be hospitalized (for non-fatal reasons, thank God) twice in a 2 month period. Added in special medications and nurse visits... I'm lucky they got me the cheap and ordered on a discount site Sonic the Hedgehog DVD box set.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
My laptop includes a blu-ray player, and I plan on buying the blu-ray, but I still think it's ridiculous that the regular DVD will only have one feature. I think the regular DVD should at least have audio commentary and one of the theatrical trailers (I'd pick the first parody trailer or the official one). Or deleted scenes or the documentary. They probably want to sell the blu-ray more than the regular DVD and put more features on it because of that, but that doesn't mean they should leave out all the best features.

One thing I thought of, though I doubt it'd happen, it would be great if Disney would upload a deleted scene or two on the Muppets YouTube channel. Don't know how likely that chance would be, but at least it'd get a deleted scene out to fans who can't afford/don't want the blu-ray, without putting them all on it. In fact back when features were first announced and we thought it wouldn't include deleted scenes I had hoped they'd put deleted scenes on YouTube.

I noticed that the list of features mentions the parody trailers but not the official one. I wonder if that'll actually be on this.