Anyone else sick of this?

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
The only time I heard anybody say "Sheldon was the best part of the movie" or some such thing was when my 11-year-old niece posted on FB that it was one of her favourite parts and several of her friends came on board to agree...why a bunch of sixth-graders are watching The Big Bang Theory (a brilliant but still racy show) is another story, but I digress...

I don't mind people getting excited about the Jim Parsons cameo. I think it was a brilliant bit of casting, partly because Jim already had some Muppet street cred from his Sesame Street guest spot ("The spider's still chasing me!") and his presence matched up perfectly with the movie as a whole and this scene in particular. If you're familiar with TBBT and its celebration of the neo-geek/fanboy subculture, it works like a charm on that level, and even if not, Parson's appearance and how he was handled in the scene both line up perfectly with Walter and his "Man or Muppet" conundrum.

While the scene still works even if you've already seen it and/or know Parsons is in it, I feel bad for Drtooth because one of the reasons my wife and I screamed with laughter (not an exaggeration) at that portion of The Muppets is because we didn't see the human-Walter joke coming. I think Disney did the right thing by keeping that key scene and cameo under wraps, and I'm surprised that they were able to do it given the insane amount of preview material that was released in the run-up to the North American release. (I accidentally viewed the "Montage" sequence thinking it would just be a random selection of clips with no real connection. I still enjoyed it in the theatres, but wished I hadn't watched it beforehand.)

I actually had to beat myself away from this forum over the movie's first few days of release to avoid seeing more spoilers - I knew I'd have to avoid it after reading a couple of people's comments about the Sweetums/Mad Man Mooney & Sons scene (although that was still funny).

Fraggline

Reaction score
Yeah, I fell for the Montage trap, too. And there were a lot of movie pieces released online, and I saw them all with my sister (we couldn't resist!). I definitely agree, though, that comments on YouTube about surprises like the Jim Parsons cameo should be blocked--I mean, the surprise comprises half the fun!
But I do have to say that I think the material released online was a good decision. I had almost begun to lose interest in the movie (save the fact that we had a calendar counting down to it) until I saw these clips. I laughed out loud at the "Idea" one!! It made me want to see the rest of the jokes in the movie--and let me say that there were still lots of jokes left.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
While the scene still works even if you've already seen it and/or know Parsons is in it, I feel bad for Drtooth because one of the reasons my wife and I screamed with laughter (not an exaggeration) at that portion of The Muppets is because we didn't see the human-Walter joke coming.
Yeah I'm actually really surprised I had never read about it until I actually saw the movie. It definitely made the scene more effective. It gives me some hope that surprises are still possible even in the Internet era, lol. :wink:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I didn't know about this cameo until I saw the movie either, and while I found it amusing, it was by far NOT the best part of the movie. My sister is a Big Bang Theory fan, and went hysterical, but if we're talking better/funnier cameos in the film, for me it was definitely Dave Grohl as Animal in "The Moopets"' lounge act.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While the scene still works even if you've already seen it and/or know Parsons is in it, I feel bad for Drtooth because one of the reasons my wife and I screamed with laughter (not an exaggeration) at that portion of The Muppets is because we didn't see the human-Walter joke coming. I think Disney did the right thing by keeping that key scene and cameo under wraps, and I'm surprised that they were able to do it given the insane amount of preview material that was released in the run-up to the North American release. (I accidentally viewed the "Montage" sequence thinking it would just be a random selection of clips with no real connection. I still enjoyed it in the theatres, but wished I hadn't watched it beforehand.)

Here's my experience in spoilerdom.

I was at Muppet Wiki... there was some link in some page referring to human Walter, and not even by clicking it, I moved the mouse over, and the status bar says "Jim Parsons." and I just banged my head on the desk very VERY hard for doing something that completely idiotic for ruining a great surprise.

We leaked WAAAAAAAAY too much of this film out before it happened... in cases years before it was even produced. The Mahnah Mahnah ending was no surprise for me. That was in the leaked script that was leaked back in 2009. We found out about the Moopets from a cast and crew give-a-way T-shirt. There were so many spoilers around prior to the film, I'm surprised there were ANY surprises left. it's our internet culture... EVERYTHING gets leaked.

EVERYTHING...

This test footage from a Roger Rabbit movie that never got made over 14 years ago, f'rinstance.

Casually leaked. Just leaked out like that.

And still we can't find evidence of the R-rated language Dexter's Lab episode. or an episode of Toonsylvania that wasn't already on that one VHS tape.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
We leaked WAAAAAAAAY too much of this film out before it happened
Lol yeah, and ultimately the only way to really avoid that is to make a conscious effort to restrict your Internet and other media viewership. It is possible. I managed to go into Return of the King virtually blind as far as spoilers, lol.

Yuna Leonhart

Reaction score
No one I know thinks Jim Parson's cameo was the best part. Then again, I don't know anyone in my area who has seen The Muppets, except my father. But he doesn't watch TV at all. And I don't think it airs at a time someone in my age group could watch The Big Bang Theory. Truth to be told, when I first saw human Walter I was like "oookay... and who's human Walter?"
Nah, the best of the movie for me was Rainbow Connection, hands down.

Fraggline

Reaction score
And still we can't find evidence of the R-rated language Dexter's Lab episode. or an episode of Toonsylvania that wasn't already on that one VHS tape.
Wait--an episode of Dexter's Laboratory had r-rated language? I loved that show as a kid!

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
That's people who have no Muppet spirit! I could've cared less about the celebrities I was there for The Muppets! To go back to my childhood.