Scooter at The TED Conference

Beauregard

Reaction score
As soon as I get my hands on the DVD, Imma rip that sound and replace my computer's start-up sound.
Haha. Also: Disturbed.

The first thing I'm gunna do with mine is find out what's on the blackboard in Amy's classroom...I just cannot seem to read it fast enough!

Hubert

Reaction score
Oh god, you actually counted all of those Scooters? I shouldn't have use so much Scooters... sorry.:stick_out_tongue:
Yes I did. Goes to show how bored I am sometime. And while we're on the subject of counting Scooter smilies:
That would be very awkward.:wink:
275! That's 275 Scooter smilies! Ah-hah-hah! :batty:
*thunder and lightning is heard and seen outside*

beaker

Reaction score
Well Scooter's voice is finally spot on.

But I found this Ted performance hard to watch. It just felt...akward. And why wasn't the audience laughing or being enthused? Also I hate it when Muppets are referred to as puppets. To me it just cheapens the whole thing. I didn't even get the point Scooter was making. Just seemed forced, and a wasted opportunity

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, I don't like writing Muppeteer references in my fanfics, but I can't ignore that 4th-wall stuff happens and has happened for a long time in the Muppetverse. IIRC, it's noted elsewhere in the thread that the audience is laughing, but as the mic is focused on Scooter, you can't hear them very well. Finally, considering the whining and gnashing of teeth over whether the Muppet movie would use CGI instead of puppets, Scooter was defending the home team.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well Scooter's voice is finally spot on.

But I found this Ted performance hard to watch. It just felt...akward. And why wasn't the audience laughing or being enthused?
There was a LOT of mic trouble in that one. You could ONLY hear Scooter's feed. The audience did respond, but all you can hear is faint whispers of that. Had they a better mic and a better way to film this appearance, I'm sure the audience would be howling.

While I can't say much for the constant references to being puppets, the entire debate was basically cheap CGI-ing in movies over Puppetry... an argument we've had countless times before with some dumb noob.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But I found this Ted performance hard to watch. It just felt...akward. And why wasn't the audience laughing or being enthused?
Yeah like Dr Tooth said, if you look at the audience they're laughing and applauding, you just can't hear them.

Also I hate it when Muppets are referred to as puppets. To me it just cheapens the whole thing. I didn't even get the point Scooter was making. Just seemed forced, and a wasted opportunity
He's basically fighting against the school of thought that CGI can replace everything that came before it, like puppetry.

I don't really mind when they're referred to as puppets. Jim Henson did it on the Secrets of the Muppets and I loved that as a kid. :wink:

Hubert

Reaction score
I don't really mind when they're referred to as puppets. Jim Henson did it on the Secrets of the Muppets and I loved that as a kid. :wink:
276! That's 276 Scooter smilies! Ah-hah-hah! :batty:
*thunder and lightning is heard and seen outside*

(OK, I seriously need to stop imitating the Count)

animalrescuer

Reaction score
Finally, someone who speaks the truth about the Muppets and puppets in general. Don't get me wrong, I do like some CG material (ex: Toy Story, Pixar), but Scooter really brings home that kind of debate between CG animation and real life Muppets.:wink:
By the way, PanthraDion, he said that on the new Muppet movie, I don't really recall him saying that on a Muppet Show episode.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Finally, someone who speaks the truth about the Muppets and puppets in general. Don't get me wrong, I do like some CG material (ex: Toy Story, Pixar), but Scooter really brings home that kind of debate between CG animation and real life Muppets.:wink:
By the way, PanthraDion, he said that on the new Muppet movie, I don't really recall him saying that on a Muppet Show episode.
Yeah... CGI is cool, but it shouldn't replace everything. There's a lot of live action films that look incredibly fake because of it (Star Wars prequels... cough cough). There's something magical a Puppet brings to a performance. You can't really meet Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny, but you can have a conversation with Oscar the Grouch. Sure, it's still an inanimate object, but it can exist in our physical plane... you just need someone to control it. It gives actors something to react to besides tennis balls on string. Not to mention the freshness and liveliness of having something physical on set. That gives room for improvisation... and like I said before, Muppet characters have famous traits BECAUSE of of improvisation... from Miss Piggy's judo chops to Gonzo's lust of chickens.