Speculation: Potential Sequel for "The Muppets"

Beauregard

Reaction score
i would also prefer it if they weren't placed into a type of plot that requires them to not know each other

it's better (imo) when they are truly themselves as much as possible, and a group and all
I agree! I'd rather see a MTM type scenario than a TMM, GMC type one. Although i wouldn't mind a few of the gang being split off if it works best for the storyline (i.e. Piggy)

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah. It strangely got that cult following all the sudden. I bet those meh Tokyo Pop ginzu mangas did the trick. I'm seeing a LOT of teenagers getting into Labyrinth all the sudden.
Naw, Labyrinth was cult with that crowd before that. And it was that Neil Gaiman/Invader Zim crowd that was the reason for the Tokyo Pop books. And I say good! I see nothing wrong with that crowd actually, and think it's a good thing.

beaker

Reaction score
I agree! I'd rather see a MTM type scenario than a TMM, GMC type one. Although i wouldn't mind a few of the gang being split off if it works best for the storyline (i.e. Piggy)
Actually, I agree. In fact, bring the Muppets BACK to NYC.

Given The Muppets 2011 was pretty much a remake of IAVMMCM(even if it was an unconscious coincidental remake), I say TMTM can be a good influence for the next film

Drtooth

Reaction score
Naw, Labyrinth was cult with that crowd before that. And it was that Neil Gaiman/Invader Zim crowd that was the reason for the Tokyo Pop books. And I say good! I see nothing wrong with that crowd actually, and think it's a good thing.
Even though I have a thing against ginzu manga (there's too much authentic stuff we'll never get because there's no way for it to be marketable in the US... They had to make Crayon Shin-Chan a hard adult manga), the fact that it helped the popularity of a great Henson movie that didn't get respect when it came out is nothing but good in my book. Heck, FCBD '11, the Dark Crystal/Tale of Sand preview comics were the first thing they ran out of. That's popularity... or a short run.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I recall hearing Muppets Out West and Muppets Underwater for the motivations for making the movie we wound up with. Somehow, I wish that someone made Muppets go Medieval in the 90's, and got Phil Hartman to play Troy McClure... that woulda been funny, I guess.
I'm sure that was a joke by the writers to indicate that some seriously gimmicky Muppet movie ideas were floating around before Segel and Stoller got down to business...

...but the second I read that I thought of one of my favourite parts of GMC, "Piggy's Fantasy," and then the diving-rats-retrieving-the-treasure bit in TMI, and the terrific "Octopus' Garden," "Friendship" and "Baby, Don't Get Hooked On Me" numbers from TMS, plus all the Sesame Street bits that ended with a "flooding" joke...

It'd be a logistical nightmare to produce but it might be fun to see someday, after one or two more solid Muppet movie hits. Maybe it could be a spoof of classics like Jaws and Splash and more recent watery nonsense like Blue Crush, Fool's Gold, Into The Blue, Shark Night and Pirhana 3-D.

And I must admit I like The Simpsons' "The Muppets Go Medieval" parody in spite of myself, right down to the fact that Troy McClure's supposed human co-star is real-life TMS guest Dyan Cannon, along with Homer's failed attempt to explain what a Muppet actually is.

Beauregard

Reaction score
It'd be a logistical nightmare to produce but it might be fun to see someday, after one or two more solid Muppet movie hits. Maybe it could be a spoof of classics like Jaws and Splash and more recent watery nonsense like Blue Crush, Fool's Gold, Into The Blue, Shark Night and Pirhana 3-D.
A Muppet horror movie in the style of that classic TMS episode where everyone dies...now THAT would be original.

JustinHoskie

Reaction score
I'm gonna remain a bit skeptical with this, since I'm still waiting for Lemony Snicket 2 (which hasn't been discussed since 2009), but I hope they are working on a non-sequel.

And I consider The Muppets as a bit of a documentary, if you disregard everything after MTM, due to Kermit and Piggy's break-up at that point. (Though, now that I think of it, since there's no mention of when they break up in the finished movie, it's possible they broke up later.) While the other movies were outside the Muppet universe, The Muppets is, if not anything else, a dramatization of the group's reunion. Ergo, Walter's inclusion in any future movies will not make them sequels, since he has joined the group as a Muppet. (And if anyone is still reading this, I applaud you, and shall soon reward you with a cookie. :insatiable:)

And I wonder, since Disney was developing The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made at the same time that Stroller and Segel were developing The Greatest Muppet Movie of All Time!!!, I'm curious if that's gonna be the next movie. And maybe to bring Walter into the mix, and pay tribute to the long tradition of fan-fiction, maybe it would be a script Walter wrote a few years ago, and Kermit decides to shoot with Gonzo directing, instead of having Gonzo writing and directing it all as it was originally planned.

(I know I know a bit too much about TCMMEM, but I spent my whole weekend on Muppet Wiki. :smile: )

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'm gonna remain a bit skeptical with this, since I'm still waiting for Lemony Snicket 2(which hasn't been discussed since 2009), but I hope they are working on a non-sequel.

(I know I know a bit too much about TCMMEM, but I spent my whole weekend on Muppet Wiki. :smile: )
Is it possible to know too much about TCMMEM?

Also, I'd LOVE to see a Snicket sequel, but a direct sequel pretty much couldn't exist now. I'd love to see a Burton style claymation Snicket though...MUCH!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure with the success of the movie and the demand for the DVD and bluray Disney will hop on this train and run with it. Muppet Mania is here to stay!
Even before the DVD came out, they already planned a second one. But then again, the movie was supposed to help re-establish the franchise's potential as a movie. Thankfully for us, it worked, and didn't turn into a Superman Returns situation that doomed itself from a sequel that no doubt WOULD have done better.

Considering the DVD sales are amazing, and hopefully more indicative of the movie's worth than the box office, there would no doubt be a rush of people who are literally banging their heads on the wall for missing out on seeing it theatrically that they'd see the sequel in theaters.